• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Alternative camera position?

Hi,
at the beginning of the game, when the "ready" menu is on the screen, the background shows the map from a playerstart. How can I change that view to an alternative position?

Sorry if this is retardly obvious and not what your looking for, but cant you just rotate the player start, with the arrow pointing where they will be looking? That changes the view no doubt but if you move your mouse a little while loading it can throw the view off.

Edit : I just realized how old Murphs post was. Im positive hes got if figured by now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not sure about this, but I think, I saw a InterpolationPoint (that Camerathingy) at Manor in the Editor. Maybe this is your answer. More in a minute.

Edith: There is actually really a InterpolationPoint, but I'm afraid it don't do anything. But if there is a way to change the camera position, i'd like to know too!

That InterpolationPoint is in the KF-Menu too. From that point you see those slides in the menu when game is started. I mean it's that "Alternative camera position", but i think it's only works in single player or just on that menu screen (which is map ofc).

I tried copying those files from KF-Menu but it didn't work. Maybe i missing something or maybe it's not possible "yet"?

Upvote 0
Of course the playerstart can be moved or rotated, but what if I want to have a view from a location where I don't want players to spawn from?

I haven't figured it out btw. I chose not to pursue this further as no simple solution was apparent.

Would it not make sense to put the player start where you want it and even have the players spawn there but have teleporters set up so that when they spawn they instantly get teleported to a correct spawn location?

It is a fairly hacked method but it might work.

Upvote 0
Would it not make sense to put the player start where you want it and even have the players spawn there but have teleporters set up so that when they spawn they instantly get teleported to a correct spawn location?

I was thinking about this too. I think im going to try this now.

Upvote 0

LOL not exactly what I was looking for but I suppose that could work :S

I was just hoping to change the camera location in my Lights Out version of Biotics, because the camera shows nothing in the spawn due lack of light and therfor it looks boring and bad.

I guess its not that important, more of an eye-candy thing.

Upvote 0
what about a matinee scene that occurs on map start and is disabled say when players take a few steps and set off another trigger.

I'm just looking at some great tutes on it now:
YouTube - UnrealEd 3.0 Matinee Intro
only problem is my SDK is doing the "controls in popup window disappearing" act, can't seem to shake it off. Anyone can help me with that? In this case I can't see the matinee controls, but its the same if I try to view Surface Properties, etc.

[edit] Well my fix was to do my work on a different computer lol. Matinee scene is coming along great. I reckon you could do this at the start of the map not only to show a different angle, but if you wanted to spend say, half a day working on it - you could have a nice video that does a walkthrough of your whole map. It would have to be quick though coz you probably cant stop it once you've started it, and you wouldn't want players having too wait a long time before starting the map lest they get pawned half way through the cutscene

Last edited:
Upvote 0