• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

UAV like ghost cam instead of the 3rd person spectator mode

Capt.Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2010
Sky high
in RO when you are dead you see another teammember in 3rd person (spectator mode).

This is like the "standard" in FPS. But it also brings problems:
you can see left and right of the player you watch, and proberly see an enemy that would be unseen under normal conditions.
Because of unfair advantages its turned off in most clanplay (or similar like BFE, IC)

Now this is proberly the worst solution.
I remember playing BFE, and we were forced to look at a black screen for up to 30 seconds cause the ghost cam was turned off.
Belive me, watching a black screen is not entertaining... ;)

Ok, here is my idea:

there could be an "UAV like ghost cam" hovering in circles over the battlefield. Everyone sees the same, no one has an advantage.
You cant controll the path of the ghost cam, its flying in circles on a fixed path!
If the ghost cam is hovering at an altitude of 50-100m over the map, you wont see a hidden sniper. And because you dont follow a specific soldier, you cant warn a teammember "Player X, I

Last edited:
the ability to tell that the enemy is attacking capzone a or capzone b, with their main force and at what entrance already tells enough to report to your team. You don't need to know the names of individual players or friendlies.

The easiest resolution is simply a fixed first person spectate camera (logically you can only spectate friendlies). This means you can only see the exact same other players are able to see. This is already an option in ostfront though.

What you suggest is pretty much ingame already although then you can switch between a set of fixed cameras rather than one that is moving. But I wouldn't expect that to be allowed in any forms of competitive gameplay, simply because you can report global information about the enemies plans (that's worse than only telling or helping an individual).

The reason that most tournaments in ro use black hud instead of first person view only, is that you have the ragdoll/death cam. Where about 3 seconds after you died your camera is fixed to your dead body, allowing you to look where the location of your killer is and report where he's going to. Which is generally considered an unwanted ability.

If only the dead can see something through a UAV camera, then no its not that everybody can see the same, all the dead can see the same. And that could give one team an unfair competitive advantage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I still like the idea of spawn lobbies in the form of transports or whatever.

You die, then the next thing you see is the scoreboard/a little scene with you in the back of a covered truck with other people that's elsewhere in the map "heading toward" the battle. Like one of those stationary yet "moving" maps similar to the old AS-HiSpeed or AS-Convoy maps from UT/UT2004 if you remember them.

When you finally respawn it's at a scene that fits the spawn lobby, so if you're in a truck you show up at the main spawn where the trucks are unloaded. Same with trains, half-tracks, etc.

With that method you don't have the issue of people seeing what others are doing as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally I still like the idea of spawn lobbies in the form of transports or whatever.

You die, then the next thing you see is the scoreboard/a little scene with you in the back of a covered truck with other people that's elsewhere in the map "heading toward" the battle. Like one of those stationary yet "moving" maps similar to the old AS-HiSpeed or AS-Convoy maps from UT/UT2004 if you remember them.

When you finally respawn it's at a scene that fits the spawn lobby, so if you're in a truck you show up at the main spawn where the trucks are unloaded. Same with trains, half-tracks, etc.

With that method you don't have the issue of people seeing what others are doing as well.

Awesome!

Upvote 0
I think it would be cool to just keep the view locked in first person even after you die, yes i know this is already in ost, but if you clicked your mouse it cut out of the 1st person view and into spectator mode

to just be able to see the battle continue from the viewpoint of a guy dying on the ground sounds pretty cool to me

...and the whole 'moving to the spawn in a truck or whatever' is also really cool:)

Upvote 0
I think it would be cool to just keep the view locked in first person even after you die, yes i know this is already in ost, but if you clicked your mouse it cut out of the 1st person view and into spectator mode

You can force players to only spectate and make it the only option. But the issue remained that you kept that 3 second death cam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When you die, the camera should switch off and show you some commercials of deodorants and toothbrushes :D
slapchop.jpg

Look... 1 slap, nade death... 2 slaps, bayo to the face:p

Upvote 0