• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stalkers are not invisible enough

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
Its pretty easy to see them, so there is no much value in the commando's ability.

I'd say make them twice as invisible or fully invisible until they strike. They also need to be faster and do more damage or being poisonous, because right now, she is the least dangerous of the specimens. At least clots can grab you.

Last edited:
On suicidal its nice to have at least 1 spec that is less dangerous.

Anyway its true you can usually pick them quite easily. But there are plenty of times when they sometimes evade my vision for whatever reason, and in my opinion its their varied success that makes them interesting.

And the commando vision does make it a lot easier particularly at range

Upvote 0
For me it's kinda hard to see them even if i look very carefully. I often kill them when i hear the sound coming from certain direction. Ofcoures you can kill them when u can see shadow on the ground (Meh, i play without shadows ;). It would be better if we couldn't see their shadows, as stalkers are invisible.

For me they are invisible enough. Don't know about you guys ;)

Upvote 0
I somehow usually end up playing commando, maybe its some kind of subconcious fetish involving AKs I don't know.

But anyway I quite often see stalkers or even groups of stalkers managing to get behind players or flank them. And the players are oblivious to the fact that its actually a stalker thats attacking them because they are looking at their feet for crawlers.

As a commando I do my best to kill all these sly stalkers and think I do a pretty good job of it so if i'm on your team you usually won't have any issues with stalkers or crawlers (unless you go rambo somewhere else).

I think it would be nice if there was a mutator that gave you the option for completely invisible stalkers even to the commandos but otherwise i'm happy with the way she is.

Upvote 0
When they are by themselves, stalkers are easy enough to see. However, it's quite easy to miss them when they are in a group of specs (though they usually die from excessive firepower towards the mob) and when they are seperate from the mob but the mob is distracting the player and a quick scan will tell you nothing is there. Stalkers are still woefully underpowered but are at least a change of pace from the other specs so I'm not too worried about it.

Upvote 0
I think all specimens should be a threat one way or another, but this one isn't a threat in any way.

And suicidal is pretty easy when you play an organized game, I think the game should be hard enough to be a challenge even for organized teams.

I don't care how cool your Lexx avatar is! I still think stalkers are good the way they are. If anything, eliminate their shadow and all should be well. :D

Upvote 0
I say make her speak a tad less than she does, but otherwise she is fine.

Or make her footsteps not as loud. For something so small and supposedly ninja-types-ish, stalker footsteps are loud. I can usually hear, reload if empty, and shoot without her getting close to me.

Oh..and I just learn the animation of every special zombie's attack so I know the difference between stalkers, crawlers, husks, etc, if I were to get attacked by one. That's the usual way I tell what's behind me.

Upvote 0
Iv noticed lately that stalkers pose quite a big threat to me when i play as berserker, if your not focusing much then they block your path and everything, iv gone to decap a bloat or siren, then get blocked by a stalker just long enough that the bloat or siren attacks me, there a pain.

obviously on some maps there alot easier to spot, but they still cause there fair share of problems, oh and there double swipe attack annoys me aswell, i miss my first strike, back pedal a bit to evade there strike, then walk back into there second strike lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I created an thread detailing similar problems with Stalkers making comparable (if not identical) suggestions way back when:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35147[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=35147[/URL]

Tough to believe it's been eight months already. Unfortunately, Tripwire doesn't read this section of the forums, so it's unlikely any changes will ever be made to the Stalker. Ever.

We may be the only crazy idiots who want challenge and make all classes useful to prevent lame 6 man something teams.

Upvote 0
LoL posted this in the wrong bloody thread :p

1. I suggest for non-Commandos that Stalkers be completely hidden from a distance and only become a visible shadowy figure when within, say, 10 meters. Commandos should still be able to see the shadowy figures from any distance just like now.

On second thought - Agree, it is rather easy to see them at long range quite early. Except in darkness, but heck in most maps, there's tonnes of light.

2. Currently the Stalker always has to stand completely still when melee attacking. Even though she's one of the fastest specimens in the game, this weakness combined with the extremely long delay makes her one of the least likely to ever connect with a melee attack. Simple solution: Just give her moving attacks like were given to the Bloat, Gorefast, and Scrake.
Agree - The old step back and attack beats them everytime. Could also occassionally see them attack on the move, recloak and run while their partner specimens carry on attacking.

3. I suggest making this red screen and scratch effect longer and more blinding as if to imply the Stalker is attempting to claw the player's eyes out. This disorientation period would definitely add to the surprise and shock factor that it seems like the Stalker should have.
Hmmm... I guess that would be fair, although stalkers do come in bulk, and if they are constantly hitting you, you will remain permanentloy blinded. I would only say thjis one if the other 2 weren't brought in.

4. More stealthy behavior - This is probably the most difficult to implement since it requires some AI changes, but I'll mention it anyway. Stalkers aren't particularly effective since they simply charge in a straight line just like every other specimen. In their attempt to make to make a bee line for the players, they're likely to get caught in the crossfire. The cloak doesn't help much when they walk in front of a shotgun blast. I suggest encouraging the Stalkers to stay way from other specimens (i.e. attempt to maintain a minimum area of avoidance, similar to how specimens try to avoid grenades) and, when in close range, try to attack the player from the side or back so they don't unintentionally stumble into gunfire. Stalkers obviously cannot successfully flank the players in every situation, but these minor behavior alterations would go a long way to making the class more effective.
Would be hard to code in, but if possible I agree, having stalkers always moving nears walls towards a player, rather than down the middle of the corridor, forces the player to take his aim off center to kill a stalker, this makes it less like that stlakers will be caught n the crossfire.

Well thought out Slappz ;)

Upvote 0
I have to disagree about stalkers not being dangerous at any way. Maybe they dont do much damage or anything, but when Im running away from a group of gorefasts in a dark hallway, its very easy to get stuck on those stalkers which you most likely dont see in the dark. And by the time you realize its a specimen blocking you, you will get hit by 5 blades and stalker claws = death.

But otherwise, yeah I agree, in most cases they are very easy to spot and thats why the commando ability seems kinda useless too. I mean, its a pain leveling commando because every noob can usually pick them up before they even get in range of the commandos ability >_>

Upvote 0