• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-BioticsLabLightsOut_v5

I suppose it you're going to make it night time in the West London and Offices versions?

Yes of course, Ive already changed Offices into night-time, took me a while to figure out how to change the skybox color tho - lol.

After all, Im a first time mapper with UE, but Ive spend loads of time on Q3 editors so maybe thats making things easier for me.

Upvote 0
This map is awesome. I don't know if you can make changes to the original besides removing the lights but I noticed a couple of things. (Please don't take this as criticism. Just suggestions)

1. People have a tendency to camp the U shaped room. I was wondering if custom spawns can be added inside to prevent this.

2. The right door near the U shaped room's trader cannot be welded. However, the left one can. Would it be ok to keep both doors unweldable?

Again, these are just suggestions. I like how removing the lights from the map gave me the same feeling I had the very first time I saw a fleshpound. lol.

Upvote 0
1. People have a tendency to camp the U shaped room. I was wondering if custom spawns can be added inside to prevent this.

2. The right door near the U shaped room's trader cannot be welded. However, the left one can. Would it be ok to keep both doors unweldable?

Well, I actually considered making both doors unweldable, but I dont know. I might aswell remove the doors I guess - lol.

What comes to custom spawns, I could add ones but I didnt do so for this version because I dont want to do any dramatic changes in the map... That, and Im not very good with mapping yet. I might add something for the future versions.

Upvote 0
You could always have random extra damage added to the map, doors knocked out here and there, the generator room should be offline and should look utterly devastated, which would go some way to explaining exactly why the lights went out.

The generator room? You mean the big thingy next to the stairs leading down to the trader? With the yellow lights on it?

Its already "offline" since I removed all the lights and electricity effects from it, but I suppose I could attempt to give it a more devastated looks. Unless you ment something else.

Upvote 0
Well, I actually considered making both doors unweldable, but I dont know. I might aswell remove the doors I guess - lol.

If your up to it, having the doors still there but broken off the hinges (or rails I suppose since they slide) against either the wall or the floor would be good rather than just merely removing them. Would be a minor nod to the map ;)

Upvote 0
If your up to it, having the doors still there but broken off the hinges (or rails I suppose since they slide)

That's a pretty good idea, also, maybe have one door half jammed so it isn't out of the way, but cannot be operated, stops people being able to charge round the level without having to worry about running headlong into doors.

Upvote 0
Doom 3 is known for its low lightning and visibility and can sometimes drive people insane. - just like these maps (not me, I love it!)
--
Anyways, can't wait for the other lights-out maps, keep up the good work! :)

Yeah, that was the joke... some of my screenshots of this map are, if you remove the HUD, completely indistinguishable from Doom 3. (;

Personally I hated the complete darkness of Doom 3, but in KF it actually helps the gameplay mechanics and challenge some, especially with team play.

Upvote 0
maybe have one door half jammed so it isn't out of the way, but cannot be operated, stops people being able to charge round the level without having to worry about running headlong into doors.

LOL!

Running away from a fleshpound just hit your head in the door and pass out.

In one of the versions, I actually made the door sort of stuck in midway but I thought it might cause problems with the specimens not fitting through so I removed it. I mean, if you look at some of the maps with small doorways, specimens do tend to get stuck there when they are in massive groups.

Played this a few times, have it on my server maplist.... I've noticed that if you weld the door to the U-shaped room and everyone stays on the other side of the room, the zeds don't seem to attack the door and break it down.

Hmm, I'll figure out something. Either disable the doors or add a spawn somewhere.

Upvote 0
Ive done some changes in the map

1. Removed the doors from the other side of the U-room and made the ones on the other side malfunction (which means they dont close fully and you are unable to weld them). In short, you cant weld any doors in the U-room.
2. Made some flames and sparks come out of the generators (like mamoo suggested) but its nothing too special because Im not that good of a mapper yet.
3. Added a flashlight on the dead guy to give some light (but not nearly enough light for it to be useful, just a graphical detail)
4. Added a few flickering lights here and there, but Im not sure wether I want to keep them because they look sorta weird in total darkness.

I havent uploaded the new version anywhere yet, tho. Consider this as a progress update :3

Upvote 0
Ive done some changes in the map

1. Removed the doors from the other side of the U-room and made the ones on the other side malfunction (which means they dont close fully and you are unable to weld them). In short, you cant weld any doors in the U-room.
2. Made some flames and sparks come out of the generators (like mamoo suggested) but its nothing too special because Im not that good of a mapper yet.
3. Added a flashlight on the dead guy to give some light (but not nearly enough light for it to be useful, just a graphical detail)
4. Added a few flickering lights here and there, but Im not sure wether I want to keep them because they look sorta weird in total darkness.

I havent uploaded the new version anywhere yet, tho. Consider this as a progress update :3

^ The man, right here

Upvote 0