• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Recording good quality video in KF

d_sparks

Mar 30, 2010
So one of my ''hobbies'' is to film/edit game video and make music videos out of them. I've made a few L4D/2 videos but now I'm really wanting to make a KF video. I've messed around with the demo recorder in KF quite a bit, and I'm severely disappointed with it: the amount of "in-game editing", the complete lack of features, and whenever I try to play back the demo to record with fraps, there's a new glitch or issue with the video every time I try...

Basically, no matter what I do, I can't get good quality video from this game.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks?

(Basically, I'd consider myself a 'pro' with Source Recorder, but seeing as how this game doesn't have anything like it, I'm having to start over from scratch. I'd like to do lots of slow-mo tracking shots and overall make it very cinematic)

^^^^^^^^^^ Read above...

Last edited:
Use FRAPS if you have a powerful enough machine. If you don't wanna pay for it, then check out Xfire's free alternative.

Is there any recording software out there that doesn't get horribly bottlenecked by CPU and HDD access limitations? basically I want something that can take advantage of 64 bit Windows and 8 gigs of RAM, multi-threading and/or CUDA, so that my game doesn't play at 4FPS while recording.

Upvote 0
Both FRAPs and Xfire have a half-resolution option for recording video. So if you're playing in 1080p it'll record at 960 x 540. It's not the greatest but the quality is still good and the performance hit is pretty minor. The file sizes will be much smaller too.

FRAPs splits AVI files once one reaches 4 gigs. When I was recording some TF2 and NecroVisioN gameplay, that equated to about 2 minutes of footage. With the half-resolution option you usually get 4 minutes for every file.

I know that FRAPs isn't perfect and I have many complaints with it, but I haven't encountered anything better.

I've also yet to see any software incorporate CUDA. To me it's just more propaganda bull from Nvidia.

Upvote 0
I don't have a particularly amazing computer but I can record pretty well with FRAPS, at least on medium settings. Try using half-size as someone else suggested, and set the recording rate to 60fps. If it doesn't perform very well, either lower the in-game resolution or some other settings. Or get a better PC. :D

Upvote 0
Both FRAPs and Xfire have a half-resolution option for recording video. So if you're playing in 1080p it'll record at 960 x 540. It's not the greatest but the quality is still good and the performance hit is pretty minor. The file sizes will be much smaller too.

FRAPs splits AVI files once one reaches 4 gigs. When I was recording some TF2 and NecroVisioN gameplay, that equated to about 2 minutes of footage. With the half-resolution option you usually get 4 minutes for every file.

I know that FRAPs isn't perfect and I have many complaints with it, but I haven't encountered anything better.

I've also yet to see any software incorporate CUDA. To me it's just more propaganda bull from Nvidia.

I might give FRAPS another go, then. It's just that my experience with it has been.... dodgy.

I used to record video from Vendetta Online gameplay on my 8-yr-old gateway laptop... got maybe 5-10 FPS. Then when I built this monster gaming rig last year, same game, same settings, I got maybe 10-15 FPS... HARDLY a big difference, so it's obviously not taking full advantage of my system's power (my superPI speed went up by 2 orders of magnitude, but I can't get even twice the FRAPS framerate?)

Upvote 0