• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-OfficesLightsOut_v2

HaTeMe

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2009
Behind You!
New version released (v4), the download link has been updated.

Map Name:
KF-OfficesLightsOut_v4
Version: 4
Playable: Yes
Original Author: Tripwire Interactive
Remake by: HateMe?!

Changes to the original

1. Removed all lights (except for the flaming car).
2. Added some glowsticks (on the ground, not for players) to help players navigate in the dark without a flashlight.
3. Fixed the issue with zones and lighting, mainly with doorways.
4. Re-fixed an exploit with the door.
5. Changed the map preview a bit.
6. Added custom music.

What testing is wanted: Just let me know if there is something weird I havent noticed, like odd light beams or something.

Download: Click Here

Pictures:

A nice view from the spawn (the new version has slightly less light):

shot00099a.png

The roof:

shot00160p.jpg

Gameplay vid by Fang, but sadly its from the V2, not V4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7cs1dH66n8&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Yeah, I like it.

Signs like EXIT and window frames with rain outside indicate your position in the darkness while you're saving your flashlight's battery. That's what missing in your version of bioticslab, imho - maybe consider adding some ground-level barely visible fog that would just indicate the layout of the corridors there?

On the roof, in the heavy rain you can barely see silhouettes of zeds without your flashlight - and I like that very much. I think that's how should dark westlondon look like.

Upvote 0
Ok now I think this is just cheap. Biotics I could understand, but making Office completely dark, INCLUDING OUTSIDE AREAS?
The only lights on the map should be "Exit" signs, and light coming from outside, which might force players to hold near windows, for the light.

I think you should put a little more efforts in those maps. Simply turning every lights off is lame. Besides, its better to have some lights, than none at all, even if they are really limited.

Add some lights here and there, add a pale light coming from outside, and if you really want to, make the roof and parking harder to old.

Why don't you make Farm next?

Upvote 0
Ok now I think this is just cheap. Biotics I could understand, but making Office completely dark, INCLUDING OUTSIDE AREAS?
The only lights on the map should be "Exit" signs, and light coming from outside, which might force players to hold near windows, for the light.

I think you should put a little more efforts in those maps. Simply turning every lights off is lame. Besides, its better to have some lights, than none at all, even if they are really limited.

Add some lights here and there, add a pale light coming from outside, and if you really want to, make the roof and parking harder to old.

You don't have to play this map, you know? Just play the original versions of the stock maps. They have the lights you require. Look at the replies in this thread and you'll notice yours is the only one standing out. Everybody's a critic. Geez. I'm looking forward to more lights out maps HaTeMe. Keep it up.

Upvote 0
but making Office completely dark, INCLUDING OUTSIDE AREAS?

It's night-time. Also, it's not COMPLETELY dark outside. There is still some form of visibility.

I don't see why your b****ing about it being dark outside... Plus, spawn and roof aren't camped as much as inside anyways.

First of all...

1. He has put alot of effort into these maps, you do realize they are still in Beta?

2. Even if the lights are limited, you miss the point of a (Fashlight Mutator) - Which will give players an unlimited use.
You won't need light sources for players to hold off. I'm pretty sure he wanted players to have a hard time finding good places to hold anyways.

Don't be an a**hole.

Upvote 0
That song u heard in the vid is KF music is called Chainsaw Chaos (Found in the KF music folder: KF-ChainsawChaos.ogg) and it was used in the KF mod on the map KF-Westlondon. I suggest whoever reads this uses that song in your map, it kicks ***! I presume the music is part of the vid correct?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its really really rare that, at night, there isn't any light coming from the sky. Its easy to see in the video that the whole roof is in complete darkness while you can still see the sky and the rain.
The concept of "Effort" is subjective. Example, I can spend 10 hours drawing a house and then a guy next to me draws a better house in 10 minutes. Now I could argue I spent more effort in my work than he did, even though his result is better. See what I mean?

I believe low-lights map have more potential than no-light maps because lights can be used to create terrifying atmosphere. Flickering lights even more.

As for outside light, I suggest you take a look at Mountainpass night. Now of course thats a little too much, but tone it down, make it so only windowed rooms have light, add a flickering light here and there, and call it a day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its really really rare that, at night, there isn't any light coming from the sky. Its easy to see in the video that the whole roof is in complete darkness while you can still see the sky and the rain.
The concept of "Effort" is subjective. Example, I can spend 10 hours drawing a house and then a guy next to me draws a better house in 10 minutes. Now I could argue I spent more effort in my work than he did, even though his result is better. See what I mean?

I could spend an hour modelling a cube, but at the end of the day, its only a cube, whatever the effort I spent making it.

I believe low-lights map have more potential than no-light maps because lights can be used to create terrifying atmosphere. Flickering lights even more.

As for outside light, I suggest you take a look at Mountainpass night. Now of course thats a little too much, but tone it down, make it so only windowed rooms have light, add a flickering light here and there, and call it a day.

Your analogies are flawed and I doubt any reply would suffice. Clearly, these maps weren't meant for you. The stock maps have always been available you know? You seem to have a thing for low lighting and flickering lights. Why not create your ideal version of these maps and release it to the public? Maybe then you'll be more appreciative of the work that goes into these maps. Suggestions are always appreciated. Your disparaging remarks, however, stick out like a sore thumb.

Upvote 0