• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Achievements for the new maps?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
I think the new maps need achievements, is not that I really care much about them, but a lot of people do, and unless people start playing those maps and actually trying to win, I don't think I'll be able to do it.

I was playing Wyre today, the players were talking about what maps to play next and what achievements they needed.

So I said: I need Crash, Departed, Waterworks, Icebreaker, Filthscross...

You guess what they replied to that, right?

Well, I don't need a picture in a square to tell me that I have done something, but apparently everybody else does, and until then, people just won't play it or try hard enough.

I would be surprised if achievements were included. Also might be an issue if any of the mappers decide to update any of those maps. I can understand the issue of not wanting to play those maps because of the achievements but I have never ever seen anyone vote for any of the maps based on getting the achievement. Usually it's the standard easy custom maps that get voted on and I have to hope that someone other than myself would actually like to play a good custom map.

Upvote 0
so achievements are needed so ppl will actually play the maps and give it a good try. but what happens once they have their achievement for say Bioticslab on Suicidal? do they just lose interest in the map and never vote it again? i dont think the achievements are the driving force behind it - part of it is perks (is the map whitelisted? yes when talking about crash, departed, etc). are the maps actually interesting in some way? not really: crash is only interesting if you know the history behind it (its one of the first custom maps for KF next to wasteyard, its also made by 2 of KF's most awesome mappers Kyben and Doyora).. what about icebreaker/waterworks? not bad maps, icebreaker is a little convoluted in the layout, and waterworks has always been so so. then what about departed? its actually pretty good, lots of custom stuff, but i dont think its theme is as imaginative or as creative as say Wyre, or Manor.

achievements dont make ppl want to play the maps. its more of a combination of different factors probably best illustrated in a map like Ganja Farm: its not too hard of a map, the layout is simple, the theme is well, groovy, and its whitelisted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
achievements dont make ppl want to play the maps.

My experience says another thing, at least groups of people who are trying hard to complete those maps, are basing their votes on the achievements they need, it was what they said and I'm not making it up.

You can theorize as much as you want but adding achievements for those maps wont hurt anyone, would it? I think its worth a try.

Upvote 0
My experience says another thing, at least groups of people who are trying hard to complete those maps, are basing their votes on the achievements they need, it was what they said and I'm not making it up.

You can theorize as much as you want but adding achievements for those maps wont hurt anyone, would it? I think its worth a try.

if youre with people who are voting maps for achievement purposes, then of course they wont vote for maps that dont have map related achievements. at least thats what my experience tells me.

adding achievements for the maps wont hurt, but that doesnt mean people will vote for them... unless they are voting maps for achievement purposes, then of course they will vote for maps that have map related achievements.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd like Candlesmoke to become a stock map, if only to provide a challenge without having to go to a custom server.

Candlesmoke is my new addiction. It's along the lines of L4D, except good.

If an achievement was made for it, say "Candle smoker" or something like that, then more people will play it and experience the awesomeness that is Candlesmoke.

It is difficult, like playing with level 2-3 perks on suicidal.
But gawd is it rewarding, playing for hours to progress only halfway through it, over several failures.

But it's a great map that should be given what other, good maps have been given.

Oh, and more achiements would be great, though not necessary.
Having more goals to aim for is always good.

Upvote 0