• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Africa

Last edited:
Haha, this looks awesome so far, gonna download and test it out, always nice to have more unique maps than the typical city or lab theme.

*edit*

Overall the map looks great, though I would fix the stairs on the buildings, you slide down if you walk on the sides and being as narrow as they are it's annoying, and the patriarch also couldn't get to me for some reason. And maybe make the surrounding fence a bit smaller, would look better imo. Also the giant tree is awesome..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haha, this looks awesome so far, gonna download and test it out, always nice to have more unique maps than the typical city or lab theme.

*edit*

Overall the map looks great, though I would fix the stairs on the buildings, you slide down if you walk on the sides and being as narrow as they are it's annoying, and the patriarch also couldn't get to me for some reason. And maybe make the surrounding fence a bit smaller, would look better imo. Also the giant tree is awesome..

Cheers dude, I've sorted the stairs now, you tend now to slide on them and its easier for both player and freaks to climb. If the surround fence is too small, with a high berserker skill you can jump right over it. The patriarch thing seems abit odd though, where were you when you were fighting him?

Upvote 0
Cheers dude, I've sorted the stairs now, you tend now to slide on them and its easier for both player and freaks to climb. If the surround fence is too small, with a high berserker skill you can jump right over it. The patriarch thing seems abit odd though, where were you when you were fighting him?

Just in the main map area running around the buildings, he spawned and I just ran around the map without ever seeing him

Upvote 0
This didnt work when first downloaded and its working now.

I'll give feedback later.

edit, I have now played once and there was no pathing, I am rebuilding and going to play again. I dont know if this is an error your end or mine.

edit, I have now played again with the rebult pathing and considering the size and complexity of the level there seemed relatively few spots to iron out. Unfortunately I did manage to get stuck in the market, where not only is the pathing bad in some places if you jump into the market stand which is on its side, you cant get back out(admittedly I was attempting to find exploits whilst this happened)

My main criticism though is the lag, this level appears to have no separate zones and is one big lag fest full of BSP houses and giant emitters. It really is a mess in this regard. If you look at West London, its all static meshes and areas are zoned so that for instance if you are in the tunnel, then only the tunnel exists for the game engine to handle. With your level you are handling the whole level so you really need to learn zoning, which is good news really. I dont know what frame rates youre getting however you could easily make this level run smooth because between houses you can never see the whole level in one go.

Otherwise I would say that it could be great however youre looking at hours and hours to get this monster cleaned up, because its just so big and complex.

I like the rooftops although again there is a massive challenge in making this level hard and I can imagine there would be exploits not found. Its just so big and ambitious.

Upvote 0
This didnt work when first downloaded and its working now.

I'll give feedback later.

edit, I have now played once and there was no pathing, I am rebuilding and going to play again. I dont know if this is an error your end or mine.

edit, I have now played again with the rebult pathing and considering the size and complexity of the level there seemed relatively few spots to iron out. Unfortunately I did manage to get stuck in the market, where not only is the pathing bad in some places if you jump into the market stand which is on its side, you cant get back out(admittedly I was attempting to find exploits whilst this happened)

My main criticism though is the lag, this level appears to have no separate zones and is one big lag fest full of BSP houses and giant emitters. It really is a mess in this regard. If you look at West London, its all static meshes and areas are zoned so that for instance if you are in the tunnel, then only the tunnel exists for the game engine to handle. With your level you are handling the whole level so you really need to learn zoning, which is good news really. I dont know what frame rates youre getting however you could easily make this level run smooth because between houses you can never see the whole level in one go.

Otherwise I would say that it could be great however youre looking at hours and hours to get this monster cleaned up, because its just so big and complex.

I like the rooftops although again there is a massive challenge in making this level hard and I can imagine there would be exploits not found. Its just so big and ambitious.

Cheers for the feedback dude, before you posted this however I had already uploaded an updated version of the level, addressing the fallen stall stand and the pathing around that area as well as a few other touches to improve the flow and enjoyability of the level.

Don't know why you had to rebuild the level though, it should of all be good from the get go :S

My computers pretty good and so are the people's that I've played this level with so i don't get any drop in frame rate, well, any noticeable drop anyway so it's nice and lag free for me.

One thing though, It's not really right to say it'll be difficult to make the level hard if you were concentrating on finding and taking advantage of exploits. I'd recommend downloading the latest version though dude, I've already replaced all the links in any previous posts to the new one so it should be easy to track down. I think you'll find its a fair bit harder than the previous one, a lot less open spaces with nothing between you and the freaks.

Also the reason for the lack of zoning is that this level is for my final year games design course at university. The way we were taught how to use Unreal 2k4 was, lets just say, wrong, so i had to teach myself zoning. Even if i did go to all the ballache of doing this i doubt I'd get much credit for it from my tutors as they seem more focused on the look of the level than the way it was actually built or plays which is unfortunate really. Not zoning it saved me a fair bit of time to focus on the things I know would matter to them, after May the course will be over and i may zone it all up and stuff........Maybe.......Probably not.....Who knows.

Thanks again for the criticism though Rops :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Please don't mess with mapfile name...
I've got previous version on my server and hopefully not many players played it because now I'm updating it to the newest one and they will have mishmash errors. Please do for next version differ the rom file name, as other mappers use f.e. beta system names, so everything is in order then (KF-Africa_b1, _b2, _b3, ... and then KF-Africa_Final - or without Final postfix) Thanks in the name of servers' admins.

Upvote 0
Also the reason for the lack of zoning is that this level is for my final year games design course at university. The way we were taught how to use Unreal 2k4 was, lets just say, wrong, so i had to teach myself zoning. Even if i did go to all the ballache of doing this i doubt I'd get much credit for it from my tutors as they seem more focused on the look of the level than the way it was actually built or plays which is unfortunate really.

funny that there is no focus on map optimizing. from my experience, a map that isnt zoned has lots of fun problems: disappearing static meshes, lights not functioning, unplayable.

Upvote 0
Conceptually the level is great however I was thinking of the players as well, make a level people can play well too.

Its only a little extra work and there are tutorials on zoning, basically, you could at least make 4 big zones. I'm no expert on zoning outdoor areas though because I'm used to adding portals around doorframes.

But I guess that modelling is where the

Last edited:
Upvote 0
But the zones wouldn't actually add the the gameplay though, but i get what you mean, it is something that should be done really. I have however managed to make the level abit harder, I've managed to put some jump pads within some zombie blocking volumes and put all this around a create so that when players are on the roofs of buildings, instead of have a trickling stream of zeds wondering into the building, players are now ambushed from multiple sides as the zeds are launched up onto the roof from ground level.

This has also addressed quite a few of the exploits, allowing the freaks to get to previously unreachable areas.

Think the next update i upload make the the final beta, or given enough time, the final version

Upvote 0