• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Whats up with all these people who ONLY play German side

Whats up with all these people who ONLY play German side

• No

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • yes

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
..sometimes i wonder.

But nutters aside i can see why many ppl chose German.

For the bulk of the eastern front conflict they were the underdog, with generally speaking technically superior equipment and tactical knowledge facing the insurmountable odds of a rampaging, somewhat more primative, enemy that grossly outnumbered them.
This is often the traditional protaganist's role in games.

I agree with you , however when some people say that the Germans had better equipment , i have some doubts now , perhaps i could discuss this with you and you could correct me but here is how i see it :

If we look at tanks for instance , they had T-34's and KV1's since 1941 that probably had no equivalent at the time , then later they had at least as good tanks if not better and in far greater quantities (T-34/85 , IS2 etc ) . If we look at small arms , they had the Ppsh41 that was more reliable than mp40's , higher rate of fire and more ammos , gladly used by German troops , you see it often in documentaries . Rifles , they had the best semi-auto rifle in the SVT40 , a lot more reliable than early G41 that were susceptible to jamming because of humidity , dusts etc. , also a well manufactured Mosin was still very accurate and with a longer barrel than the Karabiner . Then if we look at snipers , Russians had the better optics that you could adjust with your fingers easily and quickly , the sight could be zeroed very quickly with just 2-3 shots before the sight is perfectly aligned (zeroed) , whereas the German optic had to be modulated with turning a screw with a tool , which was difficult in the winter (and slow ) , you needed at least 4-5 shots to get it zeroed right

Then if we look at the equipment (clothes ) , i saw a documentary on Stalingrad telling Soviet had the warmest equipment up to 4-5

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In virtually every metric and in every caliber of arms, it seems to me that the Russians had better weapons than the Germans with few exceptions. Most importantly, they had vastly more of them.

According to my source their fielded 105,000 AFVs compared to Germany's 48,000.

They had vastly more submachine guns and semi automatic rifles, etc. Certainly not poorly equipped by any measure, although obviously you can generally say that the Soviet finish paid a price for their speedy production.

From what I've read, Germans had superior optics, in both tanks and on their rifles, although their method of zeroing sniper rifles was, as you mentioned, less flexible.

Everything else you say seems in line with what little I do know.

Upvote 0
In virtually every metric and in every caliber of arms, it seems to me that the Russians had better weapons than the Germans with few exceptions. Most importantly, they had vastly more of them.

According to my source their fielded 105,000 AFVs compared to Germany's 48,000.

They had vastly more submachine guns and semi automatic rifles, etc. Certainly not poorly equipped by any measure, although obviously you can generally say that the Soviet finish paid a price for their speedy production.

From what I've read, Germans had superior optics, in both tanks and on their rifles, although their method of zeroing sniper rifles was, as you mentioned, less flexible.

Everything else you say seems in line with what little I do know.

Soviet armoured forces were outdated and completely unprepared (didn't even have fuel available) in june 1941

Upvote 0
Soviet armoured forces were outdated and completely unprepared (didn't even have fuel available) in june 1941

This means what, exactly? The Soviet Union did not capitulate in 1941. They arrived in Berlin in 45. I fail to see the problem.

Russian oil production significantly outpaced that of German fuel production (33 versus 6 million tons) in 1941.

In June 1941, the Soviet Union had 15000+ AFVs versus 3600 German AFVs.

On Operation Barbarossa, Germany was relying significantly on Pz 38(t)s and Panzer IIIs for the anti-tank role, both of which were not sufficient to defeat anything heavier than light Russian armor...

The alternatives in the Wehrmacht were not much better, from the 37mm Panzer III, to the Panzer I, 2, and Panzer IV 75/24....deployed in disturbing quantities.

I mean, sure, a great number of the Soviet Union's early AFVs were lightly armored, but first of all we get to contrast that to the low numbers of German medium tanks and the fact that Germany was greatly reliant on light tanks as well. Then we get to say, okay, if we don't narrow our focus to one particular era, we can see that the Soviets dramatically ramp up production of medium tanks, and provide superior quantities of heavy tanks to boot.

Fact of the matter is, with anything less than a Panzer IV F2, we get to say, "T-34/76 is superior." With around 35,000 of the 76 caliber version being produced before 1944, generally speaking I fail to see the problem.

Upvote 0