• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any interest in a Vietnam War mod?

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
Am I the only one who really wants an RO type game set in Vietnam? There have hardly been any games, let alone good games set in this war. I was actually hoping RO2 would be for Vietnam (but figured it wouldn't).

I wish I was able to model or texture ect., but I lack the skills to do any modding tasks. :(

I would have liked to have seen a vietnam mod for RO - for the sake of variety I wouldn't have minded had it been at the expense of one of the 3 WW2 mods tbh, so I certainly wouldn't object to it being made as a mod for the new game.
I would have been happy with TWi's follow up title being set in this theatre, so this would be the next best thing were it to get a solid, committed team behind it.
After all, a spiritual succesor to vietcong would be most welcome.

Upvote 0
Of all wars and theathers, I would definitely prefer a Vietnam mod. There hasn't been a good realistic Vietnam FPS since... Vietcong?

The Vietnam war was cool on its own, what with the jungle, all the helicopters and the rock 'n roll and stuff, but if you combine that with RO gameplay mechanics and realism... woah :)

Can UE3 render large jungles? Usable helicopters would be cool too.

Upvote 0
I’m new to RO, but I have finally found a game with enough realism too keep me interested.
I would love to see a Vietnam Mod. Although many think of Vietnam as an impenetrable wall of jungle, it just isn’t the case. One of the maps could be the urban battlefield of the Tet Offensive surrounding the American Embassy. The High Grasslands with miles of open country with a few clumps of elephant grass sprinkled would also be a choice map of long-range battle. The Tan Son Nhut Airbase would also be an open area with some structure mixed in. The battle of Khe Sanh would also offer siege-type battles. Of course, some thick jungle-type maps should also be included. These maps could be opened up by being held in the wake of an Arc Light B-52 bombing raid, where hundreds of acres of jungle is replaced with craters and a tangle of fallen trees.

Another interesting map could be in a large village at night. I know night battles usually suck in a game, but the twist could be the continual dropping of artillery-supplied parachute flares to light up the village. Every few minutes, the flares could stop and leave the map dark for thirty seconds or so. This would incite a mad scramble to find better cover during the darkness, and muzzle flashes and tracers would become inviting targets.

In keeping with the Heroes theme, weapons and uniforms could be upgraded as one gains Hero status. More unique weapons that were not standard infantry (i.e. XM-177 instead of M-16), as well as uniforms getting more exotic (i.e. Tigerstripe instead of green utilities) would be instant visual changes for a Hero.

Heroes could also be given advanced skills. An example could be faster reloads. The Hero with an AK-47 could knock the empty magazine out with a fresh magazine, then reach under the weapon with his left hand to run the bolt instead of taking his hand off the firing grip to cycle the bolt. With the M-16, the Hero could have a fresh magazine taped to the one in the magazine well. A quick switch and a smack on the bolt release would get it back in action twice as fast as pulling one from a magazine pouch.

These are just a few thoughts. Can you tell that I want a Nam mod?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can see some major potential in a Vietnam mod. Done right it would have great interest since there are so few well done Vietnam games (zero to my knowledge) and it would be the first RO mod that did not focus on WW2 - May generate some extra interest from those looking for a more modern war game.

well to be fair there's iron europe which i'm looking forward to for similar reasons.
But your right - did i say i would love to see a vietnam mod?
oh yeah about a dozen times, including in this thread.

Upvote 0
A realistic Vietnam mod based on the Frostbite 1.5 engine would be noice.

Sure.. as soon as the Swedes at DICE/EA realize that being able to do things like make custom content and host your own servers w/o being locked in is a GOOD thing.. i'll get right on it..

(I'm kidding.. even though I bought BC2, I wouldn't promote the sale of it by making a kick-*** mod.. besides, we'd have to mod-in Free-Aim, and I doubt DICE/EA would -ever- expose that low-level for an API, even if they for some reason released an SDK/mod-tools)

Upvote 0