• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

'Bug' Zapper! (Firebug Weapon Suggestion)

Skint

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
East coast, USA
zeus.jpg

Firebug. It is known as one of the most agonizing perks to play and level, unless you are a pyromaniac and if you happen to be one I have doubts that just one weapon can permanently sate your lust for setting things on fire. No, I am not about to suggest a fancy lightsaber or bo-staff...or even a lightsaber bo-staff (tempting, I know). Also, I am not going to get into the nuts and bolts of damage spread or DPS comparisons because if my suggestion is any good, someone (not me) is getting paid to do that anyway. I am merely asking for a few moments of your time and maybe even a suggestion to my suggestion. Criticism rules, am I right?! Well, if it isn't you being criticized the answer must be yes. Yes, it rules!

Why do many of us associate this perk with that glowy, orange stuff that really smarts when you touch it? Short answer, because the word 'fire' is in the name. Luckily for us (bad for zeds), the aforementioned glowy, orange stuff isn't the only substance capable of charring, melting, or disintegrating flesh. Electricity, for example, can easily rend, ignite, or even vaporize almost anything it touches. A few questions arise, however, the most important being how to utilize electricity as a weapon while allowing for mobility, reliability, and most importantly, results.

I say 'weapon' but I envision two weapons being fired simultaneously or independently, depending on the situation and/or player preference:

• In the left hand (primary), our 'Bug' Zapper (BZ) is capable of reaching distances of 6-12 meters, 'arcing' through a localized group of zeds for splash damage, and the occasional head explosion from our lower tier zeds (clots, arachnids). It may be powered by a magazine-sized battery capable of delivering continuous shocks or periodic jolts. However, there should be a penalty for spamming this 'super taser' (i.e. recharge timer/overheating timer) to curb the mindless, often wasteful spamming of ammunition. Oh, and guess what? If used correctly, the BZ is the Firebug's answer to close-quarters combat (or lack thereof). Lastly, when used against a Fleshpound, Husk, or any technology-using zed, there is a slight chance to temporarily short circuit (stun) said zeds. The components of today's electroshock weapons are simple, often handheld, and this technology is readily available to anyone with a penchant for self-defense weapons. Let's see it in Killing Floor.
I know what you are thinking. "Wow, a taser. How original. Pfft." Please let me finish because we're getting to the fun part. ;)
  • In the right hand (alt-fire) is a portable methanol container fitted with a pressure hose capable of ejecting this flammable, yet controllable solution roughly 6-12 meters. The fuel supply for the methanol container should be abundant enough to run out of BZ ammo and allow use with Flame Grenades and/or the Flamethrower (see Direct methanol fuel cell). There are numerous applications for this weapon. For example, it can be applied to an area 10-30 seconds prior to a zed encounter. Zed walks over the fluid, you fire your BZ or traditional Flamethrower and quickly find yourself asking teammates, "Barbecue tonight?!" Also, methanol has a high toxicity in humans. I feel it is only natural zeds should be susceptible to this chemical. It should produce a reaction similar to the flamethrower (flailing limbs, sluggish behavior, disorientation) but for a few seconds. Come on--I mean, they are zeds! Also, this should have diminishing returns or be completely ineffective after the first application. Lastly, a methanol flame is almost colorless and that spells B-O-O-R-I-N-G. Any suggestions?

Let's assume this 'Bug' Zapper was designed by Horzine to quickly deal with localized groups of zeds in case of emergency. This weapon was still in its preliminary testing stages when the outbreak occurred and further research was halted. This weapon, despite its experimental status, was later discovered in a derelict weapons facility by our good friend, the Trader. Additionally, it is commonplace to find methanol in laboratories all over the world, due to its application in numerous scientific tests..or something. This concept not only supplies a bit of back story, but also provides a logical explanation behind the Firebug's sudden implementation of said awesome weapon and perk name. It sounds good on (wordpad) paper, at least.

Traditional flame-based weapons are in dire need of a makeover. Killing Floor fans want something more state-of-the-art but noone desires futuristic weaponry. This 'Bug' Zapper does not breach the limit of our current technology, it provides many solutions to the problems Firebuggers face on a daily basis, and lets face it--if one more person suggests ANOTHER flamethrower we all just may open our 'RL' consoles and induce an aneurysm. Do the right thing and bump this post, make tactful and innovative suggestions, or just tell me what I did wrong and call me a noob. Either way, we all want to see this perk get the love and attention it deserves.

Let's get up them apples.

I am not quite sure of what kind of weapon will this 'Bug' zapper weapon will be, will it be sort of like Command & conquers red alert tesla trooper style weapon?

(First red alert, Not the second or third where they wear the retarded suits, the first red alert was just a normal soldier in average uniform)

where the guy wears some kind of battery back pack, a rod of sorts with two prods at the end of it and a power cable connecting the rod to the backpack? Thats what just came to mind about the "Bug" zapper.

While I can see that being easily built within todays technologies (not like in red alert where the electrical arc can be Aimed and reach 40 feet or more) but as a touch weapon seeing how as you said it was ment to handel specimens.

But If you are suggesting a alternate attack where it gives a massive outburst of electricity and it makes bolts drag across the surface in a chaotic matter at a 45 dagree arc, that would seem a tad sci-fi, Then again, we have a monster that a gun straped on his arm that glows and spins a generator thing befor firing a stable ball of flame at long distances.

Im actually very curious to see this done

Upvote 0
I did mention it had a range (not a melee/not touch activated weapon!) of 6-12 meters and both weapons are easily handheld. The range is affected by how many zombies are nearby, which can allow for the attack to travel from one zed to the next within that 6-12 meter distance.

I am suggesting two weapons for the price of one. Each can be used separately for their specific advantage or combined use when you are in that oh-so-familiar "OH SHI-" moment.

So yeah, kind of sci-fi but realistic in a "zombie/co-op videogame" way. :D

Firebug can effectively be dubbed the 'elemental' perk, especially when Tripwire unveils the freezing weapon they have been working on.

Confirm/Deny? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Essentially using an electrical spark to ignite specimens on fire? Interesting idea. Not sure I'd swing with it from a believability stand point, although the science is sound, it seems like a largely impractical weapon to develop in real life. It would be something that would require a lot of ingenuity for someone to use, rather than just a standard weapon.

That being said, how much would it weigh? Would carrying an extra canister of methanol be believable for 4 weight slots? If not this weapon would need to replace the Flamethrower, and therefore be equal or more powerful.

Which raises the next question, how much would it cost? IMO the biggest issue with the Firebug is low level firebugs have absolutely nothing of use for them up until they buy the flamethrower. But lets looks at this overall for each classes Tier 1 weapon costs for level 0. (This the first reasonable weapon for each class, so pistol and machete are ignored... but this still emphasises the point)

Upvote 0
Oh man, I'm not necessarily opposed to high tech weapon for firebug but a portable tesla coil? Common. TWI have so far kept the player weapons realistic while letting specimen have fantasy weapons like fireball cannon. I wouldn't want that line muddled by any weapon that doesn't exist.

Here, if you want a high tech firebug weapon how about this:

Lazer Dazzler

lasergun1.jpg

Portable laser rifle originally designed for crowd control by temporary blinding people. With the outbreak it's been up powered and can how also be used to set fire to specimen at range.

3 hit to a specimen lights them on fire. Any hits to the head causes temporary blindness and causes the specimen to spazz out similar to when they're charred.

Upvote 0
Oh man, I'm not necessarily opposed to high tech weapon for firebug but a portable tesla coil? Common. TWI have so far kept the player weapons realistic while letting specimen have fantasy weapons like fireball cannon. I wouldn't want that line muddled by any weapon that doesn't exist.

Lazer Dazzler

Portable laser rifle originally designed for crowd control by temporary blinding people. With the outbreak it's been up powered and can how also be used to set fire to specimen at range.

3 hit to a specimen lights them on fire. Any hits to the head causes temporary blindness and causes the specimen to spazz out similar to when they're charred.

Okay, please read before you comment or just ignore this thread entirely. I guess everyone is seeing the picture I put up for lul and running with it. The Bug Zapper is not a tesla coil.

Also, you just contradicted yourself. A laser beam gun is way more 'futuristic' than a handheld taser with a with a modified range boost and a pressurized hose attached to a methanol canister. Besides, it is developed by Horzine so the weapon can be explosive nunchakus if I want--as long as it isn't a 2nd flamethrower. Lastly, I provided links to further prove such weapons already exist. Please read more than the title of the thread and give me your revised opinion.

[EDIT] Before anyone suggests, I am keeping the picture up as a good way to determine who reads my post and who doesn't. "OMG tesla coil no waii!!"

—————————————————————————————

Essentially using an electrical spark to ignite specimens on fire? Interesting idea. Not sure I'd swing with it from a believability stand point, although the science is sound, it seems like a largely impractical weapon to develop in real life. It would be something that would require a lot of ingenuity for someone to use, rather than just a standard weapon.

The Bug Zapper (BZ) itself is just an upgraded taser developed by Horzine. However, the methanol hose is a nice little addition courtesy of The Trader.

Do you think both should be purchased separately or as a set? If the BZ is purchased separately, perhaps it can help through early rounds until the methanol adaptation and/or flamethrower is affordable. As for the idea being a little far fetched, we are talking about a class who carries enough liquid fuel to take out a city block so I don't think it is too far of a stretch.

That being said, how much would it weigh? Would carrying an extra canister of methanol be believable for 4 weight slots? If not this weapon would need to replace the Flamethrower, and therefore be equal or more powerful.

Well, methanol can be compressed at a much denser rate compared to most flammable gases, which is why it has always been a suitable fuel for stock car racing, laboratory purposes, and other applications.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-methanol_fuel_cell

I imagine the methanol canister would be developed from something like this. I'm sure there is enough of a stockpile in Horzine's facilities to accommodate such a high demand.

Which raises the next question, how much would it cost? IMO the biggest issue with the Firebug is low level firebugs have absolutely nothing of use for them up until they buy the flamethrower. But lets looks at this overall for each classes Tier 1 weapon costs for level 0. (This the first reasonable weapon for each class, so pistol and machete are ignored... but this still emphasises the point)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, you just contradicted yourself. A laser beam gun is way more 'futuristic' than a handheld taser with a with a modified range boost and a pressurized hose attached to a methanol canister.

That depends on how you see it, as you can tell from the picture this dazzler is already fielded by People's Liberation Army in small quantities. The Americans are also working on their Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response rifle. While some police forces do have tasers with gas propelled projectiles, none are anywhere powerful enough to be able to set fire to things, even if the weapon itself can also douse the target with fuel.

Besides, it is developed by Horzine so the weapon can be explosive nunchakus if I want--as long as it isn't a 2nd flamethrower. Lastly, I provided links to further prove such weapons already exist. Please read more than the title of the thread and give me your revised opinion.

And as I pointed out, TWI have deliberately kept the player weapons at least somewhat realistic. We've had many outlandish suggest in the past on the forum like 'tech perk', 'biochem perk' and even perks using electroshock weapons. Problem is that they don't fit into KF's artistic direction.

Upvote 0
That depends on how you see it, as you can tell from the picture this dazzler is already fielded by People's Liberation Army in small quantities. The Americans are also working on their Personnel Halting and Stimulation Response rifle. While some police forces do have tasers with gas propelled projectiles, none are anywhere powerful enough to be able to set fire to things, even if the weapon itself can also douse the target with fuel.

The reason tasers are not power enough to set fire to things is well...because that is cruel and unusual punishment. If we have the capability to fire a laser beam at a penny from outer space, I guarantee we can make an overpowered taser, and that is exactly what Horzine has done in this case.

And as I pointed out, TWI have deliberately kept the player weapons at least somewhat realistic. We've had many outlandish suggest in the past on the forum like 'tech perk', 'biochem perk' and even perks using electroshock weapons. Problem is that they don't fit into KF's artistic direction.

I don't think my suggestion is 'outlandish' at all. In fact, stranger things exist in the real world and are not as easily dismissed. You are entitled to your opinion. But are you prepared to defend it with your life? Look out--gorefast behind you!!

*ties your shoelaces together/runs away*

Upvote 0
At the end of the day directed energy weapon is about having a source of energy, then beaming that energy using some method (laser, plasma, kinetic pentrator accelerated by linear accelerator) onto a target to do damage.

We don't currently have any power source that's man portable that can pump enough energy down range to do lethal damage to a person, otherwise we would have laser rifle already. Laser projectors being more or less a mature technology already.

Upvote 0
Elaborate please.

won't be man portable

BTW I know the beam of light weapon your talking about that shoots into space, and vice versa, it takes way to much power to make that operate and it would be way to heavy to carry if you could reduce the power. Look at lasers. they need lots of power and require alot of energy with a large work space to do its job and you want to do it with a larger beam that needs more????

Lazer Dazzler

lasergun1.jpg

I can agree that the concept of electricity to make fire is a good idea, but you would need a device the reason the device in the pic in the original post works is becuase of the tesla coils. Having a staff with no tesla coil means large battery pack an hope like **** it dont die on ya.

As for the dazzler, well, I dont know what to say. Its just a really fancy green flashlight. It can work, but we may run into the same problem as the the staff thing, large heavey battery pack with large energy use.

Upvote 0
The Bug Zapper (BZ) itself is just an upgraded taser developed by Horzine. However, the methanol hose is a nice little addition courtesy of The Trader.

As potentially 2 different weapons I would agree. The flamethrower might need a buff (like crisping foes sooner than it does), but as 2 seperate weapons I'd say I can believe it. Zapper by itself would be low damage, and serve as more of a stunning role for the medium foes (Husks, Bloats, Gorefasts, etc), a killing blow for the small ones (Clots, crawlers, stalkers, sirens, etc)... and perhaps an mere attack interruption for big foes, but otherwise it merely pisses them off :p

Methanol could work as an individual weapon if incendiary ammo was introduced along with it. Otherwise you'd be just giving the specimens a methanol shower :) Perhaps with a little tweaking I can throw this idea back into the fray, but it would have to be a bit weaker than 15-24% or a reduced burn effect or something.

J* Incendiary Ammo

Well, methanol can be compressed at a much denser rate compared to most flammable gases, which is why it has always been a suitable fuel for stock car racing, laboratory purposes, and other applications.

Thats why I ask, I don't know how much it would weigh. So if it can be carried with just 4 blocks of weight it seems reasonable. Taser I'd imagine would be 1 block since its the size of a knife for the normal "Un-Horzine-UBERed" version. This leaves 3 weight blocks for the methanol which should be cheap, but have other practical uses than merely setting stuff on fire. Like for example the jerry can idea (which I myself hate, but hey ho :)).

I totally agree. Maybe the BZ can cost something similar to Bullpup for Commandos. It will do sufficient damage, but only when it is used in conjunction with the methanol hose does it really begin to stand out from the traditional flamethrower in terms of damage and crowd control.

Probably see above, I'd imagine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BTW I know the beam of light weapon your talking about that shoots into space, and vice versa, it takes way to much power to make that operate and it would be way to heavy to carry if you could reduce the power. Look at lasers. they need lots of power and require alot of energy with a large work space to do its job and you want to do it with a larger beam that needs more????

You are familiar with the satellite the United States gov't refuses to admit the existence of? Where do you work? Horzine, most likely. Pffft, you disgust me, Horzine dogs!

I can agree that the concept of electricity to make fire is a good idea, but you would need a device the reason the device in the pic in the original post works is becuase of the tesla coils. Having a staff with no tesla coil means large battery pack an hope like **** it dont die on ya.

I am glad you like the idea. However, a tesla coil is not necessary to make a taser work. In fact, who said anything about a tesla coil?

Tasers operate by using high-voltage batteries and there are numerous methods of application depending on the model. Some fire wires into a person's body while others are worn on one's person or pressed against the object you are trying to incapacitate. Hell, there is even a prototype taser fired from a shotgun and fires up to 100 feet (30 meters).

These links will not hurt you:
http://www.taser.com/pages/default.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroshock_weapon#Taser

————————————————————

This or my blowtorch idea, I'd swing with both. But I'd still prefer other classes getting nerfed rather than the firebug brought up to their level :)

Me personally, I would like to see a mutator that excludes tier 3 weapons or allows the trader to spawn ever other wave...but those are ideas for another thread. Thank you for the constructive feedback. You promoted innovation and took my attention away from certain Horzine allies who would sooner see a laser beam gun that supposedly is less futuristic and cost-effective than a handheld Specimen taser combined with one of the most abundant sources of fuel on the planet. Silly rabbits. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You are familiar with the satellite the United States gov't refuses to admit the existence of? Where do you work? Horzine, most likely. Pffft, you disgust me, Horzine dogs!

First off you sound like your a bit of a conspiracy theory kind of guy, but its not a top secret gov project as it was a top science info release. Its a global defense and national defense weapon that was featured on ripley's believe it or not, as well.
Secondley the post is getting a little to the RPG side dont ya think??

I am glad you like the idea. However, a tesla coil is not necessary to make a taser work. In fact, who said anything about a tesla coil?

Tasers operate by using high-voltage batteries and there are numerous methods of application depending on the model. Some fire wires into a person's body while others are worn on one's person or pressed against the object you are trying to incapacitate. Hell, there is even a prototype taser fired from a shotgun and fires up to 100 feet (30 meters).

These links will not hurt you:
[url]http://www.taser.com/pages/default.aspx[/URL]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electroshock_weapon#Taser[/URL]

Yes a taser will work without a tesla coil, however you want to set something fire not incopasitate it. So you need alot more just then a high powered 9 volt.

Upvote 0
First off you sound like your a bit of a conspiracy theory kind of guy, but its not a top secret gov project as it was a top science info release. Its a global defense and national defense weapon that was featured on ripley's believe it or not, as well.
Secondley the post is getting a little to the RPG side dont ya think??

Yes a taser will work without a tesla coil, however you want to set something fire not incopasitate it. So you need alot more just then a high powered 9 volt.

This thread is being derailed by lack of attention to detail and last time I checked, it is not about trains (or tesla coils, laser beams, etc.) soo...
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0