• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design map troubles

meatloaf

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 19, 2009
every now and then my map get's some sort of error after building. hallways disappearing and etc. i've managed to fix everything but this

lightissue.jpg

the floor over in that corner refuses to be lit up. you can light that area up in game with the flashlight, and as you can see, it's only that corner and it's all one brush.

any ideas?

i made sure none of my brushes overlap, i'm thinking maybe my map is getting too large

Edit: i finally got around to deleting the brush, it worked perfectly. i never knew you could just straight up delete them and create a new one.

now would anyone know an easy way to tell the size of a brush?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Help ;.;

Help ;.;

You have a BSP-hole in your map. There are various reasons for one to show up. The more common ones are listed and explained here.

Since you seem like you might know this, I noticed last night, after spending EXTRA careful time making sure nothing was overlapping, and every thing was almost perfect.(as perfect as i could get it.) I noticed I forgot to subtract, and connect a doorway from a hall to a trader. So I began to do so, now, I scaled out my cube and subtracted, ALL OF A SUDDEN, the entire hallway area disappeared, and the area I subtracted, in fact was STILL there. I even tried adding, same thing except, now that area is gone, buuut every thing else around it is gone again too. The wireframe is all still there and I can select it, dex told me to right click it and go to last, and rebuild, and it should fix it, if not it's a different issue. Well, it didn't work. It made it worse. ;.;

This is driving me nuts, because I had a similar problem the first time I started working on it, but it was just a wall disappearing at certain angles. Nothing like this. That was because I was getting kind of sloppy, and dex informed me that would happen because of overlapping, so on. So I completely started over, like I said I am being EXTRA careful now, and I'm frustrated, because I've worked so hard on this, and now this is happening. I've even tried rebuilding the hallway. Ugh, I hope I can fix this.

I know dex took a look at it last night, and said he seriously couldn't understand why it was happening. I don't know if he figured the problem out yet or not, because I went to bed. If you need me to post screenshots I will when I get home from work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You've either got:
1) A BSP hole.
2) A Add/Subtract/Add problem.
3) Brushes in the Wrong Order problem.
4) Poor Zone work / zone isn't Last order.
5) More than 1 of the above.

You'll encounter ALL of these problems if you make a big map or are new to mapping.

BSP holes are usually pretty easy to find since it leaves a big gap cut out of your level. Just follow the zone lines to find the cause of the BSP if it isn't obvious.

At some point you may have put and Add inside another Add ect and this will cause serious issues. Only a careful eye is needed for this. Hell I even found some in KF-WestLondon.

Having a Subtract inside and Add but the Add is set to last can cause problems since the Sub isn't actually doing anything and yet it's trapped inside the Add. Keep an eye open for these since this can cause issues in Other areas of your map.

Make sure that your zone areas are FULLY sealed with no back entrances or Leaks within them. Also make sure that Zone Portals are set to Last. Very important.

If you have a group of subtracts that cross each other make sure that they are all on the order, by this I mean if you create a Sub and then create another Sub one of those subs will be last and therefore cutting into the previous Sub. With joining Subs select them all and Select Order>Last. This way they work together and not against the grain as it were.

Select Zone View and go looking for the Dark Blue Zone....This is the first coloured zone when building and is quite often the trouble maker. Find the zone and look around the surrounding areas for any of the above. If you find nothing follow the zone lines to find a neibouring zone which is causing mischief.

Can't see any problems where you suspect there is one. Move the camera into solid space or inside a wall, and you may find that you can see things differently. Very useful tip if you are using Forced zone drawing.

This is just a few brief tips but I hope they point you in the right direction. Trust me I know how much of a knightmare this can be, Hidden Facility had me raging worse than the FleshPound.

Upvote 0
Also make sure that Zone Portals are set to Last. Very important.

I am definitely going to take a look over all of this once I get home, my only concern with this is, what do you mean by Zone Portals set to last? This is my first map. So you can see my dilemma, very very very frustrating, I wanted to punch my computer last night. Hahha. ;.;

Upvote 0
Think of it as invisible layers. Kinda like photoshop.

If you have your background in front then you can't See whats in the forground. Like having a logo Behind the pretty picture that its sits on top of.

Example. If i make a Subtract and then make an Add on top, the Add will not have anything cut away from it because the Add was made last. To correct this you would select the Subtract then select>Order>send to last. Now the sub can cut into the add.

This is something that is easily forgotten and just because something looks like its working fine doesn't always mean that it is.

Zone Portals tend to live inside a Subtract space so you have to make sure that they are set to last otherwise you have a Sub cutting out your Zone Portal which obviously causes a HUGE leak.

Upvote 0
Zone Portals tend to live inside a Subtract space so you have to make sure that they are set to last otherwise you have a Sub cutting out your Zone Portal which obviously causes a HUGE leak.

Ahhhh, that kind of makes sense to me now. See I did try setting the order to last, and also to first, it kind of made every thing worse, BUT I was doing this to the brush of the hallway, so maybe it's the shopvolume zone that needs to be fixed that is right next to this hallway? Because this is happening right by this one trader. I'll go ahead and do that when I get home, I have a feeling that might fix this annoying issue. So I need to right click on the shop volume > order > last? Also, should I do this with all of the zones? Such as my zombie zones? Does shop volume actually have anything to do with it even? Since you're saying Zone Portals. Hmm, so new to this. I apologize for all of the questions. ;.;

Last edited:
Upvote 0