• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I hope not!

Jamer

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Canada
I noticed that that among the weapons confirmed, the panzerfaust and the PTRD were not. I'm not assuming tanks won't be in the game, but I'm not assuming they will be either.

I've read the numerous posts that say it's silly to think tanks won't be in the game, however, it's silly to assume otherwise and find out your wrong. Not knowing is just that so without confirmation, you simply don't have the fact.

So why will Tripwire not confirm this either way cause I'm feeling kinda, well, silly.

cheers!

I guess you're missing it:

By all this logic, there won't be any bolt action rifles, because they would be too hard to use :p

"Accessible" and "easier to get into" for Tripwire means making all that great functionaility "accessible etc" - not removing it :)

But we'll let everyone go on speculating about armor in ROHOS for a little while longer :p

from http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=41582&page=2

edit: + this vote http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=38123

cheers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In early stages the about on the website actually said something about a shooting range and actually stated there would be a firing range for vehicles as well. Could be a typo or not intended to be said as it was later removed, or they just didn't want to spill the beans yet..

Next to that googling TWI gives you some of the the LinkedIn info from the devs and of one of the tripwire devs states this in his profile:
Also designed and developed an extensible heads up display system, save game system, and special interactions system for taking cover, climbing ladders, entering vehicles, etc.

Entering vehicles could just be an example, but its another point hinting at there possibly being vehicles.

Ramm had a poll if people wanted primarily infantry combat, combined arms or tanks. And the combined arms had a big following. Now TWI doesn't have to follow the poll outcome (they didn't with a poll about should we add cross-hairs in the mod) but it increases the chance of tanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So personally I do not doubt that vehicles will be in the game, however the big question is when would they be in the game. Perhaps vehicles would become a DLC or something. Although I personally think they just save a lot of tank stuff till they can make a nice press release about it on some popular website or magazine.

You probably won't see a panzerfaust though as far as I know they were developed later. Both the russians and the germans used anti tank rifles for the infantry in the siege of stalingrad (and mines / anti tank grenades).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just hope that every map that features infantry works well for infantry combat.
If you take arad or ogledow pretty much even though there is infantry there is not much regular infantry fighting.

Its ok for me if basically tanks go off and do their own thing somewhere, but the infantry must be able to fight like infantry. I think the custom map tracktorworks did this well. With big factory buildings for the infantry, and an open outside for the vehicles.

Maps like Arad and Ogledow are fun but I wouldn't class them as combined arms maps, its rather a map with tanks and tankhunting infantry. I really hate joining a tank map when I feel like infantry, or an infantry map when I feel like tanking, and think that servers should not try to run a mixture of both. And either run tank centered maps or infantry centered maps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope all of us will be satisfied with new RO - infantry guys, tankers and mixed.

Imo each type of map might be fun if is well balanced and designed. Your example - arad is mostly armor map but infantry with panzerfausts can be a pain in tankers *** in villages.

My example for combined map is road_to_hill_cmb. Each side has one tank, AT weapons etc. Tank role is mainly support for infantry. Troops usually leads the way BUT well protected tank by infantry gives great advantage on the map. Its also good example of cooperation between players.

It'd be even better if MG or rifle soldier could resist his weapon on tanks armor when is stacionary/not moving. Leaning on the side of tank could be great too.

Upvote 0
What I meant that probably maps should be classified as either a tank map or an infantry map. Infantry plays an important role in arad but its still a tank map, same with ogledow. Tanks play an important role in koningsplatz and leningrad but its still an infantry map.

I just think that both types of maps need to be featured. But tanking and infantry plays so differently, that i think a seperation on servers would be a good thing. (I'm not talking about removing infantry from maps like Arad or visa versa).

If tankers are on a server and a map switches to infantry the server dies.
If infantry is on a server and a map switches to a tank focused map the server dies.

Both should exist but I just think they shouldn't be hosted on the same server. Tank only servers (which include maps like alte ziegelei etc) are highly popular. And infantry only maps (which feature maps like leningrad) are highly popular. And I would like to at least see if a tank runs both tank focussed and infantry focussed maps, or only say tank focussed maps or only infantry focussed.

Because for me I often only want to play one of the 2 types of maps and not blended between each other because the pacing is so different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get your point Zetsumei.

I think it won't be any problem to host 3 type of servers: Infantry Only, Tanks Only and Mixed/Normal. Its only a case of mapcycle and server rules.

It really works in Darkest Hour. Some servers are named properly and have in mapcyle tanks/combined maps only. So if you join that type of server you know what you get.

Upvote 0
I get your point Zetsumei.

I think it won't be any problem to host 3 type of servers: Infantry Only, Tanks Only and Mixed/Normal. Its only a case of mapcycle and server rules.

Jup all I want is basically an icon in the serverbrowser that show that its an infantry focussed server, tanks focussed server or a mixture, so it becomes possible to use it as a filter as well.

- So instead of Infantry only it being infantry centric (aka it would still include maps with some vehicles like koningsplatz and Leningrad).
- And instead of Tanks Only , being tank centric (aka it would still include maps with some infantry like arad and ogledow).
- And an option that basically includes both the tank and infantry centric maps.

Basically a mapper himself could say whether his map is more infantry or tank centric. So a server admin can choose to put his server to any of the 3 modes and then select maps out of one of the 3 types.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maps like Arad and Ogledow are fun but I wouldn't class them as combined arms maps, its rather a map with tanks and tankhunting infantry.

Yeah, and that's why they fail. Ogledow can be fun but tbh I rarely had a good game on Arad.

Infantry-only: works
Tank-only: works
Mostly infantry mixed with a few vehicles: works
Mostly tanks mixed with some infantry: doesn't work

I'm sure TWI also learned this.

The best servers are the ones that mix infantry-only with combined arms imo.

Upvote 0
interesting about that line you quoted zets from the LinkedIn thing.....

Also designed and developed an extensible heads up display system, save game system, and special interactions system for taking cover, climbing ladders, entering vehicles, etc.

we could see in the shakey cam vids the "heads up display" implimented through the "hud on demand" thing

i'd imagine with the "save game system" this would have to do with the stalingrad campaign, at least for single player.

"special interactions system" there's your 1st person cover system and blind fire

"climbing ladders" hmmmm not seen that yet....

"entering vehicles" well maybe we'll see that in the next batch of news :)

but at least it looks like they've found the personel to do all that stuff. and i also agree that it is a bit wierd that all that shooting range and slight mention of vehicles has been removed from the game overview on the site. i think they realized that people actually were checking that and like you said, the slight mention of vehicles could have been "letting the cat out of the bag" a bit too early

so, perhaps an early april news update showing off some beautiful tanks??? ;)

Upvote 0
Yeah, and that's why they fail. Ogledow can be fun but tbh I rarely had a good game on Arad.

Infantry-only: works
Tank-only: works
Mostly infantry mixed with a few vehicles: works
Mostly tanks mixed with some infantry: doesn't work

I'm sure TWI also learned this.

The best servers are the ones that mix infantry-only with combined arms imo.

Mostly tanks mixed with some infantry works, but should fall in the same category as regular tank maps. Arad can be fun, but as infantry you are going to hunt tanks not infantry on that map. Alte ziegelei is a lovely tank map with infantry on it. Aka its a tank map, it just happens to have infantry, it doesn't fail but it simply is not an infantry map. So people expecting to play an infantry map will be disappointed.

The main thing is I say the separation between tank focussed maps and infantry focussed maps should be made more visible. I mean Arad always was a highly popular map (for a reason) but it primarily appeals to the tanking crowd not the infantry crowd (but wouldn't want to see infantry removed). Major differences are for instance in the pacing of the maps. And I like both tanking and infantry in a way, but do not really like to see them mixed up in servers, as the pacing shock is just too large.

Just like a lot of tankers do not really like to play a map like hedgehog even though it got tanks, its not a tank map. I just think there should be a distinction between maps whether they fall in to the tank focused or infantry focussed category. If you would ask the tanking community that only like tank maps, they will probably say they hate maps like Leningrad and Koningsplatz. So just like infantry players like leningrad and koningsplatz, tank players like their arad and alteziegelei.

Different people have different tastes, but I think that tank focussed and infantry focussed maps maps should somewhat be separated from each other. As the pacing and type of gameplay, are just too vastly different from each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's really good map in DH called Putot En Bessin. The map is huge, it feels like if you were playing operation flashpoint when lots of areas of the map is unused and in many places there's never any fighting so it feels really realistic when you drive in a Panther along the roads, farms, fields trees etc. it feels so realistic! And the fighting between infantry is still within close distance just like on small maps beacuse spawns move farther everytime a team captured an objective. But spawn for the tanks are seperated and are far behind so they have to drive to the front. So it gives you much more ways of maneuvering, you can attack straight and you usually meet an enemy after 1-2 minutes so the fighing is still vicious between infantry but if you want to you can travel around the map which would take you 10 minutes and completely take an enemy by surprise from the rear! I think everymap in HOS should be a little bit expanded so you don't have that feeling like you were trapped in a small game map where there are minefields all around you but to have a little bit more freedom in space...

YouTube - Darkest Hour: DH-Putot-En-Bessin_Beta3b Fly-Thru

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's some impressive map work Kashash, and thanks for posting the video!

Btw, I can't stand "smole" maps either. ;)

I always liked the mod's version of HedgeHog, because I thought it worked well with both vehicles and infantry (just wish it would have been made larger for Ostfront instead). It's apparent that infantry need maps with enough cover, protected interior lines, and/or choke points to make them useable along with vehicles also.

Upvote 0
HedgeHog from the mod map version:

Hedgehog_RO_Mod.jpg

Upvote 0