• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Add another difficulty setting

Anubis_FB

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Madera, CA
This post is for those who run into KF and find its not that hard to beat suicidal if you have a team thats willing to work together. I myself am one of those ppl. I would like to have another difficulty setting that would challenge the players who have beaten suicidal and are looking for more challenging games. Adding another difficulty setting would allow for players to acheive this and not have any major changes on the current game.

I dont think this should be done till the next patch, but I do think it would be a great idea to put in the works for the next patch

This post is for those who run into KF and find its not that hard to beat suicidal if you have a team thats willing to work together. I myself am one of those ppl. I would like to have another difficulty setting that would challenge the players who have beaten suicidal and are looking for more challenging games. Adding another difficulty setting would allow for players to acheive this and not have any major changes on the current game.

I dont think this should be done till the next patch, but I do think it would be a great idea to put in the works for the next patch

Suicidal atm is coming pretty close to one hit kill from both specimens and players, so I think instead of just puffing up their stats, they should gain special abilities which work only in this specific difficulty. Ive mentioned this few times before actually.

Basically crawlers could become venomous, husk could get a short range aoe flamer, siren would destroy grenades from the grenade launchers aswell (since they dont seem to do it atm), clots could gain a charging grap attack (like I think anubis here suggested) where they actually run at you in order to hold you down, fleshpounds could always be enraged OR their enrage animation will be decreased a lot OR they get headshot resistance (cant be decapped at all), scrakes could enrage similar to fleshpounds so small weapons just piss him off etc etc

Upvote 0
Basically crawlers could become venomous, husk could get a short range aoe flamer, siren would destroy grenades from the grenade launchers aswell (since they dont seem to do it atm), clots could gain a charging grap attack (like I think anubis here suggested) where they actually run at you in order to hold you down, fleshpounds could always be enraged OR their enrage animation will be decreased a lot OR they get headshot resistance (cant be decapped at all), scrakes could enrage similar to fleshpounds so small weapons just piss him off etc etc

Well, I support the idea of another difficulty as described above. Just pumping up specimen's health, damage and speed won't do.
Also, stalkers could be invisible all the time (including attacking), gorefasts be speedy all the time, etc.

Another thing, lots and lots people complain about the hard->suicidal step as being too steep, so we actually might need TWO additional difficulty settings added:

Beginner / Normal / Hard / Very hard / Suicidal (with mentioned above zed upgrades).

Ah, for the record: MAKE FRIENDLY FIRE SETTINGS included in creating server gui! Very few people know how to set it now. This could make even hard game challenging, not mentioning suicidal.

Upvote 0
No HUD would be nice. But you should still see your amount of mags left and also your health. Also remove the welding window when you weld at door... that could be funny :D

LOL, I think the whole point of the idea was not seeing your health or ammo.

Also, stalkers could be invisible all the time (including attacking), gorefasts be speedy all the time, etc.

Oh yea forgot the stalker perma-invisibility. Also she should be more quiter (like you could hear only her breathing)

Upvote 0
Seems like a good idea, definitely better then raising the overall difficulty of EVERYTHING, because SOME people can't even play Hard.
Sorry that we don't all become hip shooting masters. =/

Hard isnt hard and suicidal is only challenging if your team dosent work together (If you have at least lvl 5s in there). That is the whole reason for the post. All the rest of the difficulties are boring and suicidal is currentley the "hardest" difficulty. Adding another challenge would allow players who have gone as far as I have or further to continue having fun with KF, cause its starting to lose its luster.

No HUD would be nice. But you should still see your amount of mags left and also your health. Also remove the welding window when you weld at door... that could be funny :D

Im up for no hud with just your health and mags visable. As for the welding, you will still see it on the welding gun. The only thing it will do is take away the visable %, so you will be forced to pull out your welding gun to see it.

Well, I support the idea of another difficulty as described above. Just pumping up specimen's health, damage and speed won't do.

Another thing, lots and lots people complain about the hard->suicidal step as being too steep, so we actually might need TWO additional difficulty settings added:

Beginner / Normal / Hard / Very hard / Suicidal (with mentioned above zed upgrades).

Ah, for the record: MAKE FRIENDLY FIRE SETTINGS included in creating server gui! Very few people know how to set it now. This could make even hard game challenging, not mentioning suicidal.

I would be up for this if the Very hard was our current suicidal, but not as bad (just to meet in the middle) and the new suicidal was harder then the current suicidal.
Not a perma fix, but better then nothing, Will make a slight diff increase on the current suicidal and add an additional difficulty setting for those to meet the transition into the suicidal bracket.

Upvote 0
I agree with the no HUD on suicidal. Except, You should be able to see a teammate's health if you're a Commando or Medic. This would make it imperative to have either on your team. And yes to the welder idea. But maybe support gets to see the condition on doors. They are, after all, welders. And not being able to see your ammo will give a really big "oh shi-" moment.

Upvote 0
sure, i agree that the game needs to be more difficult for a large portion of the players out there. i just don't think HUD or FF needs to be tweeked to make the game harder, nor should they be tweeked. what the game needs is perk/weapon balancing, and more forcing of players to move or at least make it more difficult to defend. really, the game needs more specimens that are "bigger, stronger, faster" and that can make it challenging even for the best players and teams.

Upvote 0
just played yet another flawless suicidal 4 man match (well, at least until the patty spawned). i must say the default gameplay of KF has become boring for me. it's far too easy. the patty is the only difficult thing left in KF. and i'm not even level 6 on my medic yet. which means it will probably get even easier for me in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
just played yet another flawless suicidal 4 man match (well, at least until the patty spawned). i must say the default gameplay of KF has become boring for me. it's far too easy. the patty is the only difficult thing left in KF. and i'm not even level 6 on my medic yet. which means it will probably get even easier for me in the future.

Try taking down patty with Zerkers. You need at least 4, and they have to be at least lvl 3. When you fight him, you need to circle Patty and alt-fire him down. Its cake to kill him. Just try to hold the line if he pushes you so he cant run away

Edit: Make sure you use chainsaw and not katana.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try taking down patty with Zerkers. You need at least 4, and they have to be at least lvl 3. When you fight him, you need to circle Patty and alt-fire him down. Its cake to kill him. Just try to hold the line if he pushes you so he cant run away

Edit: Make sure you use chainsaw and not katana.

Katana makes somthing like 10 dmg point more than the chainsaw.

Upvote 0
Katana makes somthing like 10 dmg point more than the chainsaw.

Unless you have tested this, I dont think it does. The Katana is a decap weapon and its big enemy is the "hard headed" bonus. The chainsaw is not a decap weapon, it was redesigned to hit the body. All the focus of the weapon now is dumped to body damage. This was to make the Katana and Saw diff.

For the pat fight, he is so close, you will not be able to get a head shot on him if you are using a katana, and his hit box is so small for his head you will be doing body shots anyway (so your not getting the crit that the katana was made for). Saw was changed to body shots and since patty is mostly body shots, its easier to do body shots tho not impossible to do headshots. Your success rate will go up if you use the saw and not the Katana

Upvote 0
Unless you have tested this, I dont think it does. The Katana is a decap weapon and its big enemy is the "hard headed" bonus. The chainsaw is not a decap weapon, it was redesigned to hit the body. All the focus of the weapon now is dumped to body damage. This was to make the Katana and Saw diff.

For the pat fight, he is so close, you will not be able to get a head shot on him if you are using a katana, and his hit box is so small for his head you will be doing body shots anyway (so your not getting the crit that the katana was made for). Saw was changed to body shots and since patty is mostly body shots, its easier to do body shots tho not impossible to do headshots. Your success rate will go up if you use the saw and not the Katana
Well i've never tried the chainsaw enough so i can't really tell. But all my attempts with a squad + katanas have worked. Here's my onfo: http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Weapon_damage_table

Upvote 0