• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting rid of the voice command limit

It's a major annoyance for me, and I'm guessing for others that notice it it's also an annoyance for them. It's not game breaking, sure, but anything as annoying as this that could be replaced with a simpler, superior system, should (IMO) be fixed.

I get that problem all the time when I hammer in "v+3+2" to tell that (rare) berserker who is dead set on holding the line to run the hell away or when I wanna quickly warn people by smashing in "v+3+1" when that occasional fleshpound closes in from behind.

If you're referring to the issue where apparently hitting the keys for a voice command too fast seems to make them ignored, I've encountered this issue a lot. It's not really a problem for people who fail at using keyboards and take ages, but for us more experienced gamers it's a pain in the ***. Same as the regular chat issue really - often I'll type something and then quickly follow it up with another message, only I have to press T followed by UPKEY then ENTER for several seconds before the second message gets through.

I don't know whether TWI implemented the system or if it was part of the engine already, but it's about the simplest and poorest implementation of spam protection that I've seen, and I'd love to see it replaced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't know whether TWI implemented the system or if it was part of the engine already, but it's about the simplest and poorest implementation of spam protection that I've seen, and I'd love to see it replaced.

Absolutely. I support this request and wish a less restrictive spam protection. This could be an optional feature for server admins at the least.

Upvote 0
He is saying, that it would encourage idiots to spam voice chat.

But, I dont think that would be too big of a problem, because you still have mics where you can spam music or w/e crap you want, so removing (or bettering) the spam protection wouldnt chance things much.

And you can always kick vote. If the server doesnt have a kick vote, then you are in the wrong server lol. I always try to pick servers with kick vote so we are able to get rid of any troublemakers.

Upvote 0
Bumping this thread (because it's the only one that I was able to find that covers my problem) in hope of seeing solution, since this issue is still present and is very annoying.

I can't describe in words how mad I get when I hammer V11 V11 V11 V11 V11 and it still doesn't friggin' work!

Yes, you can argue that this is "my own fault" for "spamming" commands. But if I see Scrake nearby, then turn around and see our only Sharpshooter staring at the stalker's boobs, I want to grab his attention. And if one second later I run into a siren then I want to call for a medic. But I'm not able to, and I have to mash this command for 3-6 times before it actually works.

Yes, I can type. But I can't type while running, and being grabbed by clot with a few sirens nearby means death. So I can't type in this situation.

Yes, I can use mic. No, I won't use it. Why? Because game have in-game voice menu. If there's a problem with it, it should be fixed, not work-around'ed.

No, people won't spam. Why? First of all, not everyone is a stereotypical "12yo from xbox" (or you're playing on wrong server). And mainly because there's a special menu where you can ignore different kind of messages from individual players.
Here's how it looks: http://i.imgur.com/5H6lPOi.jpg[url]http://i.imgur.com/5H6lPOi.jpg[/URL] (external link because "manage attachments" button did nothing for me)
How do you access it? Press Esc and select "Communications" tab during the game.
And even if they'll somehow get around it (or it won't be 100% functional), you can always votekick/voteban/ask admin to kick/ban this asshole away.
So "it's a troll bait" is absolutely no excuse to keep things the way they are now.

And is this thing ("spam" check) controlled by the server or hardcoded in the game? Can I change it somehow if I'm creating a server? It's infuriating sometimes and I really want it fixed.

Upvote 0
[...]
But since most characters share the same voice pack, they all keep resetting the same timer again and again. [...]
Are you sure on that? Iirc every player spawns its own KFVoicePack when using a voice command. The voice pack has a life span of 10 seconds and deletes itself afterwards.

I think it is PlayerController.AllowVoiceMessage(), called in KFPlayerController.SendVoiceMessage().
Code:
function bool AllowVoiceMessage(name MessageType)
{
    if ( Level.NetMode == NM_Standalone )
        return true;

if ( [COLOR=Lime]Level.TimeSeconds - OldMessageTime < 3[/COLOR] )
    {
        if ( (MessageType == 'TAUNT') || (MessageType == 'AUTOTAUNT') )
            return false;
        if ( [COLOR=Lime]Level.TimeSeconds - OldMessageTime < 1[/COLOR] )
            [COLOR=DarkOrange]return false;[/COLOR]
    }
    if ( [COLOR=Lime]Level.TimeSeconds - OldMessageTime < 6[/COLOR] )
        [COLOR=DarkOrange]OldMessageTime = Level.TimeSeconds + 3;[/COLOR]
    else
        OldMessageTime = Level.TimeSeconds;
    return true;
}
It says that if you spam voice commands (in a 6 seconds frame) you will be blocked for 3 seconds. In ZED time it is nearly always broken for me. Not sure where that does come from, time shouldn't be scaled during ZED time too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@TheMutant
You're right. As I said in my post, I'm not sure, didn't checked the entire code, just posted my thoughts.

But actually both are the cases. Level.TimeSeconds isn't affected by game speed, but the timer is. So if player wants to sent a voice command in zed time or just before it (including auto speeches), instead of 0.6s it can be delayed up to 5s. What player usually does is that situation? Right, he tries to do it again and gets 6s penalty in AllowVoiceMessage(). So try to avoid using voice commands in zed time. But even if you do avoid them, auto speeches can be set in place and auto-grant you a penalty.

To fix this, code line in KFVoicePack must be changed to this:
Code:
[COLOR="Lime"]SetTimer(0.6 * Level.Game.GameSpeed, false);[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
But if I see Scrake nearby, then turn around and see our only Sharpshooter staring at the stalker's boobs

(or you're playing on wrong server)
lolwut

Necro'er, if your having problems with certain zeds and dont have time to type **** out, use this. I use it, the players wont hear your acutal voice unless they are close to you though, but that doesnt really matter.
Code:
NumPad3=Say Siren! | Speech AUTO 15
NumPad2=Say Fleshpound! | Speech AUTO 12
NumPad1=Say Scrake! | Speech AUTO 14
These should get the players attention or you can just run away and let them die for not paying attention :rolleyes:
Also if you do run into a siren, like literally run up to her, she wont kill you from her scream, she would just bite you. In fact, i purposely run up to a siren to shut her up, and then you know, shoot her face instead of standing there helplessly calling for a medic.

@GamesCoding: I do get annoyed that i cant spam my dosh at the winning screen and also use the voice commands since...well...you cant use 2 sounds at the same time.
I want to throw my dosh and spam Insult Players instead of just hearing "DOSH! Grab it while you can lads".

Last edited:
Upvote 0