• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Peripheral vision

LionbI4

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 26, 2006
you'll get a small indicator letting you know that there's an enemy in your peripheral vision

Is it only me, who thinks it looks like radar cheat?
How in real life your peripheral vision is able to detect enemy?
In reality, your peripheral vision can detect movement and can guess color of an object.
So suggestion is, to change peripheral markers to "peripheral vision line", which will contain color of object at your peripheral vision.
Based on that color you could tell, what is happening in your peripheral vision. If you see color change - that means something is moving there. You will need to turn to check if its enemy or not.
Hope it is possible with UE3.

Is it only me, who thinks it looks like radar cheat?
How in real life your peripheral vision is able to detect enemy?
In reality, your peripheral vision can detect movement and can guess color of an object.
So suggestion is, to change peripheral markers to "peripheral vision line", which will contain color of object at your peripheral vision.
Based on that color you could tell, what is happening in your peripheral vision. If you see color change - that means something is moving there. You will need to turn to check if its enemy or not.
Hope it is possible with UE3.

What makes you think it doesn't work as your suggestion? :p
The marker you mentioned could very easily be just a blurred shape.

Upvote 0
What makes you think it doesn't work as your suggestion? :p
The marker you mentioned could very easily be just a blurred shape.

My suggestion - display all.
Original feature - display enemies as markers.

In some aircraft sims enemy planes are shown as colored markers.
For example: red markers - friendlies, blue markers - enemies.

If its not implemented yet - developers could think about 'peripheral vision line' instead of 'peripheral vision markers'.

Upvote 0
Their new system seems to replace the radar rohos had before, that radar only showed friendly soldiers, so its quite possible that this system will only show friendly soldiers as well.

If enemies get shown I hope that they won't show with a colour or whatever that he is an enemy and that it doesn't go too far in the distance and doesn't go through walls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yea, but 3rd Reich soldiers didn't have GPS/RADAR/younameit in inventory.

Spotting system should work like it was in real life. If enemy get spotted, you get information on what direction is he.

So player A spotted enemy sniper, his team gets information "Sniper on your 3 o'clock" or "Sniper, North-east, 2nd floor, red building". Nothing more.

Radar is fine for little mw2/bc2 kids...w/o brains.

Upvote 0

Spotting system should work like it was in real life. If enemy get spotted, you get information on what direction is he.

So player A spotted enemy sniper, his team gets information "Sniper on your 3 o'clock" or "Sniper, North-east, 2nd floor, red building". Nothing more.

I don't think you got the point of this system

Upvote 0
My suggestion - display all.
Original feature - display enemies as markers.

In some aircraft sims enemy planes are shown as colored markers.
For example: red markers - friendlies, blue markers - enemies.

If its not implemented yet - developers could think about 'peripheral vision line' instead of 'peripheral vision markers'.

How the hell can you fit a 180 degree peripheral vision on your small screen? Even at 70+ degrees you start to get noticeable fisheye effect.

The solution is to display that 70 degrees normally, and then display enemies that fall inside 70-180 degrees of your vision as icons/blurred images at the edges of your screen.

And that is exactly what I believe TWI's system will be.

Upvote 0

No no no, I do NOT want ROHoS to play like ArmA does, with robovoices calling out everything that moves.

Upvote 0
As was said in the first post, human peripheral vision covers about 190 degrees. Only about 40 degrees are viewed in detail (I could go check my research, but I'm too lazy). The peripheral vision area actually has better night vision, but less color vision; it detects movement well - BUT it doesn't give you enough information to identify what is out there - you have to turn your head and look.

So... if that is the "real world", how do you think we implement it in game :) ?

Upvote 0
The only thing I am concerned about is that the article says it tells you if there is an enemy in your peripheral vision. It'd be better if it told you only that there was someone there, forcing you to look and make a friend or foe identification. Then again, it might not be phrased all too well in the article.

Upvote 0
Is the peripheral vision indicated only on the radar or are there other visual indicators like some games have? Like faint "clouds" which appear on the left/right/top/bottom of the screen for example.

I could get used to a system like that so long as it's within the (true) visible range, and can't detect things behind walls and such.

Upvote 0
An issue with exactly paying notion to that Diablo is that the center of the computer screen is not necessarily the centre of the vision of the computer user.

Just like how in avatar some people find it annoying that they can only look at where the camera is focussing, and things away from that look blurry and cause people headaches when trying to focus on it.

Blurring the sides of the screen too much can be equally annoying for that reason, but also because moving your mouse in game means moving your entire body. While in reality I can look to the right by simply turning my eyeball, and do not have to turn my entire body. Some very slight blurring especially in motion purely for effect I wouldn't mind but I would hate it to feel like playing with horse flaps all the time.

Which is why I personally am mostly against fov blurring of the screen. I don't want to look around by moving my mouse, I want to look around by moving my eyes. (especially relevant with multi monitor / huge screen set-ups where the fov effects of your own eyes start to play a role already).

A system to show parts of your fov in a lower fov scenario could perhaps work well, I believe nobody hates it in the Arma series. Although I'll have to see how it turns out my self.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As was said in the first post, human peripheral vision covers about 190 degrees. Only about 40 degrees are viewed in detail (I could go check my research, but I'm too lazy). The peripheral vision area actually has better night vision, but less color vision; it detects movement well - BUT it doesn't give you enough information to identify what is out there - you have to turn your head and look.

So... if that is the "real world", how do you think we implement it in game :) ?

IMO, best left out.

This is something that is really impossible to put into a game. Certain senses will never work in a game, no matter what. This is the difference between reality and a PC game.

One of these would be sight.

The only realistic solution would be to require everyone to own those large wrap around/curved monitors.

But I don't think that is a very sane solution. :p

In the end, looking for bad guys, or friendlies with your eyes is the most realistic and immersive way, even if your view is narrowed. I do not find looking at a "radar/scope" with blinking dots to be realistic at all.

Upvote 0
Diablo, nice pictures.
Personally, as well as Zetsumei, I prefer not to have so much blur on my screen.
Whole screen should stay accurate, without blur. So you will be able to inspect parts of the screen by moving your eyes and use your natural peripheral vision.

By 'peripheral vision line' I mean small 10-20 pixel line, which will change its color according to objects, located in peripheral vision.
You could count it as whole area in peripheral vision shown in 10-20 pixels. You don't see objects, but you see movements (color change).

Upvote 0