• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Jamming?

Fedorov

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
According to the article:

"But unlike the recruit's clunky, used weapon, the Hero gets a sharp, clean piece of machinery that will reign terror on their enemies (that's the aim, anyway)."

My question is... will this have impact on the gameplay, and not just the looks of the weapon?

I mean, will those clunky used weapons have a chance to jam or have worse performance in general?

This should be ONLY aesthetic. Anything else will only annoy new players to the point where they cannot get into the game due to the inherent imbalance of giving the players who have played the longest (have the best skills, and all the knowledge) the best weapons.

If it's anything more than a skin, I'm going to be pissed off.

Particularly because I've put over 600 hours into Ost Front, and many of the guys on this forum were beta testers for the mod and have put substantially more time into either version than I have. Does it make any sense, on account of this, that they should have a rusty piece of junk when they roll onto the battlefield?

I refuse to grind in first person shooters. I've left that World of Warcraft crap behind. Unless you want to make this game into an RPG, for the love of god, forget about this stupid Modern Warfare leveling mechanic trend that's become so hot among developers that can't make compelling multiplayer gameplay mechanics.

Upvote 0
It doesn't mean the weapons will be too inaccurate or will jam too often, but they should jam based in its quality in a realistic rate. The closer to RL the better

Also, progression makes people want to play the game more, just as it is in KF

That's why I don't play KF, or BF2 anymore, and got a little annoyed with TF2. Constantly plugging away at a game for months on end just to get some unlock or feature is annoying. In BF2 it can take months to get an unlock or progression in your profile due to how it works.... and in Team Fortress 2, even with their random drops, it took me 4 months before I got more then 2 items (which is why most players of TF2 go into Idle Servers to have more chance at getting things.)

Someone who buys the game late may learn and catch onto the game very quickly compared to someone who's played it since it came out.... that new player could even be better then the vet, yet because he's got crappy weapons compared to the Uber 733t guy who's put in more man hours, he's handicapped by things the other player doesn't have to worry about.

Thus you end up having players not beating other players based on actual tactics and skill, you end up having players beating other players because some code dictates their weapon should crap out on them more then the other guy's.

In a nut shell, all it is is a fancy way to say people who play the game the most will have handicaps benefiting them against other players just trying to learn the game who are stuck with crappy weapons and constantly being dominated.

Me no like.... Bad medicine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I like the system a lot in KF, and honestly, if the game is realistic, it doesn't matter if the weapon is older or newer when it comes to 1 vs 1 fights. In a game like RO, there won't be "50% more damage, woot!" kind of thing.

You guys are exaggerating everything in a way that you say the guys with newer weapons will dominate everything and the guys with the older ones will not even be able to fire back.

Upvote 0
This should be ONLY aesthetic. Anything else will only annoy new players to the point where they cannot get into the game due to the inherent imbalance of giving the players who have played the longest (have the best skills, and all the knowledge) the best weapons.

If it's anything more than a skin, I'm going to be pissed off.

Particularly because I've put over 600 hours into Ost Front, and many of the guys on this forum were beta testers for the mod and have put substantially more time into either version than I have. Does it make any sense, on account of this, that they should have a rusty piece of junk when they roll onto the battlefield?

I refuse to grind in first person shooters. I've left that World of Warcraft crap behind. Unless you want to make this game into an RPG, for the love of god, forget about this stupid Modern Warfare leveling mechanic trend that's become so hot among developers that can't make compelling multiplayer gameplay mechanics.

Mostly what he said ^^^ :p

Upvote 0
so according to you guys, in a realistic setting, a new clean weapon should behave the same way as a dirty old one.

Is that realism for you? It sounds like you don't even want to play the damn game.

Scared of some "noob" grinder who will kick your *** because of a slight difference in the quality of your weapons? Would that make any difference when you are with a kar98k and you find a Russian PPSHer in close range?, no, he will kick your *** anyway regardless of how clean his weapon is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would it really be worth making the recruits' crappy weapons less accurate anyway? I mean, yeah they might be less accurate if they are worn and dirty, but at most the recruits will have a what, 1% degradation in accuracy? The bullet is still gonna have to go wherever the barrel is pointing. It isn't like the recruits will have smoothbores and the heroes will all get issued sniper-grade weapons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would it really be worth making the recruits' crappy weapons less accurate anyway? I mean, yeah they might be less accurate if they are worn and dirty, but at most the recruits will have a what, 1% degradation in accuracy? The bullet is still gonna have to go wherever the barrel is pointing. It isn't like the recruits will have smoothbores and the heroes will all get issued sniper-grade weapons.

Actually, the people who were first sent to the front, on the German side at least, would probably have the best weapons because they would have been manufactured during peace time. Matter of fact it was probably by the end of Stalingrad that the Germans had had all their best trained and best equipped troops starved to death. It was the Volksgrenadiers on the final days of the front that probably had the worst equipment.

Granted, I'm sure if you're a friggin' Knight's Cross or something you got the latest and greatest, but it's worth considering that wartime versus peacetime manufacture sees significant degradation, particularly in finish.

From what I've read, also, there is significant variation in wartime firearms for that very reason in terms of accuracy. I've read some people on boards (not exactly premium information, but you get the idea) saying their Lee Enfields, M44s, etc, vary in accuracy from 2-4 MOA. This, keeping in mind that this is wartime surplus and that all of them have been around for decades under who knows what conditions and have all had some kind of corrosive ammunition fired from them. But suffice to say, yes, accuracy was variable, as I understand it.

I also want to say that it's probable NOBODY carrying a Mosin Nagant or particularly the Kar98 had to worry about jams. Mauser is reputed to be an impossibly reliable extraction system.

I'm sure this must have been an issue with some of the speedily constructed submachine guns, though, and obviously jams would be rampant with G41 under battlefield conditions (high tolerances, very finnicky mechanism).

Upvote 0
i think there is a certain limit to realism where it starts to defeat the purpose of playing a game instead of doing something for real

weapon jamming is realistic yeah, but it would only be annoying rather than increase the sense of immersion.

it surely annoyed real soldiers, just like getting shot =P

also, when I say weapon jamming, you probably think about Far Cry 2, where weapons were constantly jamming, it should be far less frequent than that IMO.

Upvote 0
the thing with weapons jamming it depends on usage of weaponry as well. And how well you care for your weapon how well you clean it etc.

As the parts needed to keep a gun in working order are completely not included in the game, just giving someone a jam in their gun will be annoying.

If jams occur like after you dive in the mud, continuously fire your weapon fully automatic till its empty and stuff like that. Then getting a jam could be like your own cause, but a player should have control over the happening of anything like it. Rather than if every shot being fired is fed through a random generated chance of jamming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0