• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fixing the M14, once and for all.

Ebay

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Sharpshooter level 6 is a good job mate. So I hear most of you boys are thinking that the super m14 is OP HmM? Well guess what? You're all right! And I've got JUST the solution you guys are looking for. Yeah, thats right, the one and final solution to nerf the crap out of this little bastard.

Simply put, reduce by 50% the rate of fire of this gun when using the laser.
THERE! Done. No more low-skill noobies killing everything in sight with their little crosshairs.
You'll still have it for accurate long-range shooting, and the noobs? Well those buggers will have to either learn to aim without their red dot (of doom) or shoot at half the rate of fire (or stop using the gun)

And thats about it! Skilled players will learn that you don't have to be using that thing 24/7 and noob will be forced to learn how to aim.
Isn't that wonderful?

ITT: We brainstorm on how we could effectively fix the spam with the M14.

Last edited:
The whole idea behind the M14 being a sharpshooter weapon(in the context of this game) is crazy. Sharpshooters are about the xbow and lar, one shot, long distance, long reload, ton of power.

However, when you look at the M14 and hc's (pistols too) the sharpshooter becomes a spammer. There is a spammer in this game, and his name is commando.

Upvote 0
fair enough, although if you and your team are letting things get point blank on you, something isn't quite right here

that sort of stuff always happens unless your playing farm or defence maybe, but most the time things are always within spamming distance, from my experience.

The m14 is kinda sh!tty for long range, LAR has a much more clear sight.

it doesnt make any sense lol

Upvote 0
The whole idea behind the M14 being a sharpshooter weapon(in the context of this game) is crazy. Sharpshooters are about the xbow and lar, one shot, long distance, long reload, ton of power.

However, when you look at the M14 and hc's (pistols too) the sharpshooter becomes a spammer. There is a spammer in this game, and his name is commando.

i definately agree that the m14 is borked. i hate it. of course, i hate the LAR as well. the sights suck on m14, and the lar is just...meh. i'll gladly play 3 rounds w/ just a 9mm to save for an xbow. xbow, single (not spammable double) handcannon, nades, and armor. that's all i need...good thing too, since that leaves no weight left at all

that sort of stuff always happens unless your playing farm or defence maybe, but most the time things are always within spamming distance, from my experience.

The m14 is kinda sh!tty for long range, LAR has a much more clear sight.

it doesnt make any sense lol

oh, it happens, yes. but you shouldn't really be hopeing for it. unless ofcourse you're playing a battlesniper and you enjoy running around fairly close. but then xbow and hc are still better.

Upvote 0
If you think the M14 ironsight is bad, that means you either never use the gun, or only use the laser.
The ironsight is freaking awesome. The issue here is that people spam with a crosshair on their screen. If they spam without knowing where the center of their screen is, they're going to be useless. If they wait for zeds to come at point blank, they'll end up dying. Point of reducing the rate of fire is to "force" people to find where the center of their screen is (if they didn't know already) and give a drawback to using the laser which is just a freaking crosshair.

Upvote 0
As a genuine level 6 sharpshooter, i find the M14 and dual HCs noobish. If you're playing sharpshooter and you're spamming, you're doing it wrong.

I find using the Xbow i spawn with on wave 1 like using a full mag from a M32. Overkill. The 9mm does the same job, if you're any where near a decent shot, which you should be at level 6.

I then sell the Xbow and buy armour and a single HC, because at this stage that's all you need. But i'll buy a Xbow by the time wave 4 rolls around.

So a real sharpshooter should have :
Armour
9mm
HC
Xbow.

If you're a lower level (1-5) then a LAR is an acceptable weapon.

But nowhere unless you feel your team will lose without it is it acceptable to use an M14 EBR.

And a question: If the SCAR and EBR both shoot the same bullet, why does one do more damage?

Upvote 0
If you think the M14 ironsight is bad, that means you either never use the gun, or only use the laser.
The ironsight is freaking awesome. The issue here is that people spam with a crosshair on their screen. If they spam without knowing where the center of their screen is, they're going to be useless. If they wait for zeds to come at point blank, they'll end up dying. Point of reducing the rate of fire is to "force" people to find where the center of their screen is (if they didn't know already) and give a drawback to using the laser which is just a freaking crosshair.

i do use the gun (well, did) the ironsight sucks. you can't see anything at all. at least the with the lever you can see what you're shooting at, so the lack of a zoom doesn't really change as much, but w/ the m14 i can never tell if i'm targeting the clots head, or the bloat's *** (just eww)

Upvote 0
As a genuine level 6 sharpshooter, i find the M14 and dual HCs noobish. If you're playing sharpshooter and you're spamming, you're doing it wrong.

I find using the Xbow i spawn with on wave 1 like using a full mag from a M32. Overkill. The 9mm does the same job, if you're any where near a decent shot, which you should be at level 6.

I then sell the Xbow and buy armour and a single HC, because at this stage that's all you need. But i'll buy a Xbow by the time wave 4 rolls around.

So a real sharpshooter should have :
Armour
9mm
HC
Xbow.

If you're a lower level (1-5) then a LAR is an acceptable weapon.

But nowhere unless you feel your team will lose without it is it acceptable to use an M14 EBR.

And a question: If the SCAR and EBR both shoot the same bullet, why does one do more damage?
I cant see the problem with dual handcannons. You don't get any more ammo only almost double fire rate at the cost of precision. I wouldn't ever use the DualHc but only due to the fact that you cant "snipe" with it. But I fail to see why it would be considered noobish.

And why should lower levels use the LAR instead of Xbow? The only difference is the damage between the high/low level. I would say that higher levels should play with LAR since they Can do it.

My brother is a genuine sharpy aswell, it's his only level6 perk of which his got around 400hours only sharpshooter. And he always uses dualhc and LAR.

And one last, it's not even accepted to use the ebr if your team are about to lose. ;)

Upvote 0

I disagree with the dual HC statement. All I ever use as a SS is xbow, dual HC, and 9mm. I use the 9mm almost exclusively until I run out of ammo unless I have to make a hole immediately. Then I switch to dual HC, make a hole to run through, end the immediate threat, or just kill stuff to burn ammo before picking up a box.

Then I switch back to 9mm.

As for halving the rate with the laser, the problem with the M14 is the "insta-kill" damage first and the amount of ammo second. Anyone worth a damn doesn't need the laser anyways.

Upvote 0
And why should lower levels use the LAR instead of Xbow? The only difference is the damage between the high/low level. I would say that higher levels should play with LAR since they Can do it.

a long time ago when i hit lvl 5 ss, i realized the LARs effectiveness at a high lvl. the headshot dmg of the LAR is very respectable. i have very little difficultty popping the heads off ANY spec, including scrakes and fps (if hes not enraged yet). not to mention the LAR carries twice the ammo as the xbow.

but on suicidal the xbow and m14 are needed. thats really the only time the m14 is called for. if used on any other difficullty, it just mops up.

Upvote 0