• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

limit pipe spam?

Johnny86

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
i often find when playing with 2 or more high level demos that, in the laters waves, there are massive amounts of pipes littered around the map (specifically around trader locations).

am i the only one bothered by this? i think it really makes things too easy, especially for the pat.

i would like to see a limit on the amount of pipes any one player can place one the gound, say around 10? i still think this is way too much but seeing as a lvl 6 demo can carry 8 pipes, 10 on the ground seems appropriate.

just wanted to hear the thoughts of others on this topic. thanks.

Yeah it throws off the balance quite a bit. TWI claims to have fixed the raping-the-pat-with-****load-of-pipes exploit to some degree but it doesn't seem so most of the time. One time before the boss wave I told the demos stacking up the pipes that it's not going to work anymore. The pat walked over the cluster of 20 pipes and got instakilled. He took full damage from all the pipes and didn't clear them up with a rocket as a precaution either. I felt like an idiot when they mocked me after the game. :eek:

Upvote 0
I suggested in another thread that people are limited to placing out only as many pipes as you can carry in total.

Right now a person can run to the store and buy a full batch of pipes and drop them then go back and buy a new batch.

The Pat can still be raped by pipes but not as instantly as before. But a huge minefield will still wear him down very quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i often find when playing with 2 or more high level demos that, in the laters waves, there are massive amounts of pipes littered around the map (specifically around trader locations).

I would change that sentence to "i often find when playing with 2 or more lazy players with no skills, in the laters waves, there are massive amounts of pipes littered around the map (specifically around trader locations)."

We should just get rid of pipebombs completely. Or hard limit the demos to 8 at a time, at a cost of 300 each, along with a cost of 1,500 each to other classes.

Lazy, lazy players.

Upvote 0
We should just get rid of pipebombs completely. Or hard limit the demos to 8 at a time, at a cost of 300 each, along with a cost of 1,500 each to other classes.

i dont think they should remove the pipes completely, however the extremely low cost of the pipes (i think around 42 quid per pipe for a lvl 6 demo) really does promote spamming them.

and now that you mention it, a price increase could help in preventing this.

Upvote 0
I'd say a level 6 demo could have a total of 8 pipes at any one time period. I.e if he has 5 pipes down on the ground, the maximum his inventory can hold is 3.

If this makes the demo rather useless, then perhaps grenades could also come under his discount and not cost him much to buy. This would also give him an advantage over the support spec with his grenades (as is grenades are even use for both classes).

My 2 PENCE! :)

Upvote 0
I'd say a level 6 demo could have a total of 8 pipes at any one time period. I.e if he has 5 pipes down on the ground, the maximum his inventory can hold is 3.
There already seems to be some sort of tie between a demo and his pipes since he gets the damage bonus and damage for leveling reported back so it would seem within reason to be able to modify the pipes to report back when a player enters the trader or tries to pick up an ammo box so they can't get more then eight

Upvote 0

If this makes the demo rather useless, then perhaps grenades could also come under his discount and not cost him much to buy. This would also give him an advantage over the support spec with his grenades (as is grenades are even use for both classes).

My 2 PENCE! :)

i like this idea alot. it will really make the demo choose the placement of his pipes wisely.

and if this were implimented, a discount on nades (and possibley raising the amount to say 15) would give him a nice trade off.

Upvote 0

I'd rather suggest demos be able to pick their pipes up. If the demo plants pipes in places that turn out to be a specimen-free zone, they will never detonate and the demo won't be able to buy any more.

Upvote 0
Yeah it throws off the balance quite a bit. TWI claims to have fixed the raping-the-pat-with-****load-of-pipes exploit to some degree but it doesn't seem so most of the time. One time before the boss wave I told the demos stacking up the pipes that it's not going to work anymore. The pat walked over the cluster of 20 pipes and got instakilled. He took full damage from all the pipes and didn't clear them up with a rocket as a precaution either. I felt like an idiot when they mocked me after the game. :eek:

What difficulty was this on? Because, on normal he prolly dies from a cluster of 20 pipes no matter wether they are stacked or not.

If I remember correctly, the way they "fixed" the pipebomb spam was by making each pipebomb (after 2) do lower damage if its less than X distance away from the other pipebomb. So if theres 10 in one spot, the first 2 bombs will do max damage, but the 10th would do like 1% damage or something. Maybe someone knows better, I cant remember the exact numbers.

--

But to comment on the actual topic - I wouldnt mind if they limited the amount of pipebombs a demo can drop. I think 8 per player would be fair, and you should be able to pick them up and relocate them if needed. After all, it seems to have a simple "on/off" swich on top of it lol.

If they limited that amount of pipes, the cost should remain the same (the perk is kinda expensive anyway).

Oh and btw, you should also keep Suicidal in mind, because atm Demo is kinda useless there. He gets killed quickly due not having close range weaponary, and he usually cant afford to buy any pipebombs :(. So if you increased the cost it would just make things worse.

Upvote 0