• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Unknown Steam error prevented access to this" Fix been found yet?

Undedd Jester

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2009
Sheffield, England
OK so I've had this for about a month now, I've been scowering the TWI forums and Steam forums for fixes and tried a number of things, but i just can't get rid of it.

When I first load up my game, its fine and I can get in and out or my profile repeatedly no problem.

However everytime I connect to a multiplayer server (including my own which has no unlisted mutators or settings (that I know of) that will cause it to be non whitelisted) it screws up. The game runs fine, has no problems at all, but whenever I complete the game, I dont get awarded any achievements. When I go back to main menu I click profile and achievements and get the error message "Unknown Steam error prevented access to this". If I restart my game, I have access to it again.

So I tested it to see if merely connecting to a server and disconnecting before starting the game caused the same effect... which it does.

I then tested both hosting a listen server and playing a solo game, which those have no problem. Exiting out of the game at any point still allows me to go into profile and achievements, meaning its something caused by connecting to other servers.

I've tried deleting clientregistry.blob, verifying my game cache, and even reinstalling the game, none of which work. I also tried re-installing my server, to see if there is anything wrong in it that I couldn't see before. Sadly still no dice (Although I'm yet to test whetehr or not I can unlock achievements on it, although I highly doubt I will be able to).

I'm not too arsed at the end of the day, becuase the fun of KF is in actually playing it... although it would be nice to be able to slap out my last 8 achievements to "Complete" the game :(

Has anyone found a fix for this yet, or is it a question of waiting for a patch to sort it/steam to fix their system? :)

SOLUTION!-------> http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=579351&postcount=16

Last edited:
I've tried deleting clientregistry.blob, verifying my game cache, and even reinstalling the game, none of which work. I also tried re-installing my server, to see if there is anything wrong in it that I couldn't see before. Sadly still no dice (Although I'm yet to test whetehr or not I can unlock achievements on it, although I highly doubt I will be able to).

Although thinking about it I only clicked "delete local content" in Steam, would it be worth manually deleting ALL KF files in my steam folder and get a brand new build?

Upvote 0
Checked my log file (at least I think its my log file, since I've never even looked at it before.) Noticed this line at what I think is the point I connected to my server.

Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../Cache\B3418D8F490C1EC1EDCB979421DAB41E-1.uxx

Any ideas?

WOuldn't be nothing to do with this in my servers KF.ini would it?

[IpDrv.MasterServerUplink]
DoUplink=True
UplinkToGamespy=True
SendStats=False
ServerBehindNAT=False
DoLANBroadcast=True

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can try clearing your cache in your killingfloor/Cache directory (just delete everything in it).

Ok tested that, still no joy, although after clearing it I did notice that when I joined my server it redownloaded MutAntiBlocker. Is there a possibility that this mutator might cause the issue?

Either way thanks for trying anyway, its greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok think I may have found something folks!

I'm about 90% convinced its something to do with anti blocker. Most suicidal servers I connect to have it running and all the ones that I've connected to all cause me to get this error.

I went on a normal server without Antiblocker, and low and behold leaving the game I was still able to connect to my profile and achievements page. For some reason atm I cannot alter my servers config so I'm gonna test this later on when its working again. But regardless this does prove that there is SOMETHING in certain servers that is causing the issue.

The only things I have added are ServerAds mutator and AntiBlocker. I might guess this is also what is preventing my server from gaining achievements for completing the game, even though perk progression is still working fine.

Upvote 0
The security check failed message you were getting before was because of the MutKFAntiBlocker.u file in your cache (B3418D8F490C1EC1EDCB979421DAB41E-1) - you can look at what these files are if you look in your cache.ini file. Potentially that file is corrupt on your server, so when you connect to it (assuming that server was the first one you tried after wiping your cache directory), it serves you with a corrupt version of the file, and hence when joining other servers it messes up. You should delete your cache again, try joining servers other than your own to see if the issue still occurs, and if not, replace the mutator on your server, and try connecting again.

Looks like you have it all in hand now anyway.

Upvote 0
YEAH! Excellent! Its solved!

Thanks for your help dude, never would have gotten there without you :)

[Solution]

For other users who can't be assed to read the whole thread, this error is caused by a corrupt version of a mutator in the server you've connected to. You can find out in your Killng Floor log which mutator it is causing it.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\System

Your looking for a line that looks something like this
Log: STEAMSTATS: SECURITY CHECK FAILED - ../Cache\B3418D8F490C1EC1EDCB979421DAB41E-1.uxx
The random set of numbers/letters is the mutators ID number I suppose. If you own the server remove this mutator from your server and the go into your Killing Floor cache folder.

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\Cache

Then delete all the files in that folder (You will most likely need to turn Killing Floor off in order to do this). Then once you restart Killing Floor you should be all set. To see if its worked simply connect back to your server then once you've loaded in immediately leave the game to the main menu. If you can gain access to your Profile and Achievements page, problem solved :)

Is there any way of altering the title of this to say solved at the end for other people having the same problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
sorry to bring up this thread again. i read the solution but it is only partially useful since the problem will appear again if the user connects to a server which has the anti-blocker mutator installed. is there a download link that is not corrupted so that server admins can update this useful mutator?

this is the error i'm talking of..

Upvote 0
sorry to bring up this thread again. i read the solution but it is only partially useful since the problem will appear again if the user connects to a server which has the anti-blocker mutator installed. is there a download link that is not corrupted so that server admins can update this useful mutator?

this is the error i'm talking of..
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6082/killingfloorexesshot100.pnghttp://img197.imageshack.us/img197/6082/killingfloorexesshot100.png

I'm not aware of one myself, the one I downloaded came from here and thats the original mutator by Benjamin. I dunno if there is a patched version, but if there isn't then this is the only one in circulation. I've joined a few other servers that have redownladed the mutator and then caused the same issue.

Only thing I can say is remove it completely and put a message in ServerAds to say "dont block the doors", and enable kick voting for anyone who is being a douche. Is all I have done sadly :|

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Undedd Jester: i took a peek in that thread but surprisingly no one mentioned this error. until this is fixed, i guess i'll just have to make a mental note of clearing the cache after playing in an 'anti-block' server.

thanks for the reply anyway..

Ok I've actually found a proper solution now. Its simply caused by a caching error by all mutators. I don't know why some people get it and some people don't but basically any mutator I download through Killing Floor itself causes this "Unknown steam error" glitch.

To solve it simply delete everything in your KF cache folder and then go here onto the forums and install the mutator into your copy of KF so you don't need tyo download it into your cache.

In the case of Anti Blocker for example: -

- Download it here

- Then extract the 2 files into your Killing floor system folder located in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\System

Once you've done that you can go in and out of servers with Anti Blocker and never have an issue. Do this for other mutators you want to use as well. Ciao :)

Reactions: gasian
Upvote 0
Ok I've actually found a proper solution now. Its simply caused by a caching error by all mutators. I don't know why some people get it and some people don't but basically any mutator I download through Killing Floor itself causes this "Unknown steam error" glitch.

To solve it simply delete everything in your KF cache folder and then go here onto the forums and install the mutator into your copy of KF so you don't need tyo download it into your cache.

In the case of Anti Blocker for example: -

- Download it here

- Then extract the 2 files into your Killing floor system folder located in C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\System

Once you've done that you can go in and out of servers with Anti Blocker and never have an issue. Do this for other mutators you want to use as well. Ciao :)

thanks a bundle, mate. i've tried this and it seems to work. no more errors!

Upvote 0