• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The Pacific [Band of Brothers II]

yeah i thought it was pretty good for an opening episode. it was interesting how this time they did more backstory on some of the characters, but they got right into the action relatively quicker than BoB. that scene with the Japanese officer in the river was pretty moving. all in all, i'm really looking forward to this series.

plus THANK YOU TOM HANKS. they actually did the research and the Marines correctly were equipped with the Springfield and NOT m1 Garands at Guadalcanal. a great sign that this will be good.

Upvote 0
thoughts after first ep

pros:
great cinematography (nice contrast with BoB using bright colors instead of the desaturated look)
cool battle scene while it lasted
nice realism with the old weapons (springfield and water cooled mg)

cons:
acting doesnt seem up to par with original
lame banter between men, seems forced
characters dont have as much uh, character, as the original
no real progression through the episode, it was like girl at church, guido party, heart murmur, BATTLE AT GUADALCANAL!......and the battle ended too soon. there was all this tension until the battle and then its like here we go! then the battle starts getting nuts then it just fades out and shows all the dead japs.
stressed out jap scene; jap soldier acted great but it didnt fit that all the soldiers were portrayed as scared little boys not knowing what theyre getting into and then after one battle they're all heartless killing machines. i'm not saying this didn't happen at all, i just think the way it was filmed was odd. plus then leckie is all like "i will put an end to this MADNESS!".....eh came out corny

heard these first two eps were the weakest though and I still thoroughly enjoyed it. looking forward to next week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I also think that the show will get better as the weeks pass, and perhaps by the end we'll think the series was well worth watching. I remember back when Band of Brothers premiered, I hated the first episode, I just wanted to get to the action already. But after watching Band of Brothers so many times in these years, the first episode is probably one of my favorites.

Upvote 0
I liked it. Of course there's not a whole lot of character progression yet, it's only the first episode. Also, because this time the setting is the Pacific, they couldn't really show the training part like they did with BoB. I would say that the first episode of BoB was better than the first episode of The Pacific, but I still think it was really good and I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next.

Upvote 0
I do think there's room for a little training, if you're going to show them at home saying "I'm going to do my bit" etc you could have room for boot camp/training etc.

Well, Spielberg said in one of those promo videos that things were a little different, that they couldn't show as much training in The Pacific.

However, in one of the other promo vids they did show a little MG training, so who knows.

Upvote 0
I thought it was a great opening to the series. One will find anything wrong if your looking for it. I wasn't looking, just followed the story and I think this is a great story that just happens to have war with it.
I watched the show before hand, the making of, and recall Spielberg saying that this was not focused on battle, though they did want to be as accurate as possible, but more so a story of how it affected the men and not even a particular side, just men. So I really don't get caught up in the right rifle or what have you, Film makers make mistakes all the time and lots gets past editing before mistakes are even found.

When you watch scenes like the one at the river and it evokes an emotion,then I thinkj it was done right and are you really thinking about if it was the right pistol that took him out? and if so, then I think you miss the point.
That been said, I respect all opinions here. I just hope people will stay focused on whats really important here.

Upvote 0
I thought it was a great opening to the series. One will find anything wrong if your looking for it. I wasn't looking, just followed the story and I think this is a great story that just happens to have war with it.
I watched the show before hand, the making of, and recall Spielberg saying that this was not focused on battle, though they did want to be as accurate as possible, but more so a story of how it affected the men and not even a particular side, just men. So I really don't get caught up in the right rifle or what have you, Film makers make mistakes all the time and lots gets past editing before mistakes are even found.

When you watch scenes like the one at the river and it evokes an emotion,then I thinkj it was done right and are you really thinking about if it was the right pistol that took him out? and if so, then I think you miss the point.
That been said, I respect all opinions here. I just hope people will stay focused on whats really important here.

completely disagree. the show is all about showing a realistic portrayal of the pacific war and as such should hold attention to detail in high regard. this means having all the right weaponry, uniforms, etc. having a powerful scene like the toying with the jap one and then pointing a deagle at him would have ruined all the scene's power for anyone even remotely familiar with the time period.

This isnt just a war series, its the pacific theater of ww2, hence The Pacific, not the Emotion of War. It's also based off of veterans own personal accounts so ignoring what was true to life for them is very wrong. So yes, historical accuracy is key.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thoughts after first ep

cons:
no real progression through the episode, it was like girl at church, guido party, heart murmur, BATTLE AT GUADALCANAL!......and the battle ended too soon. there was all this tension until the battle and then its like here we go! then the battle starts getting nuts then it just fades out and shows all the dead japs..

Real battles aren't exactly one big action movie. Have you ever heard the saying "hours of boredom followed by seconds of terror," I think that's what they are trying to portray. Granted it's a little boring for an audience, and I agree that they could have done a better job, but I like how they didn't follow the typical Hollywood crap where they amp up this big battle and they guarantee it to happen.

I like how they are showing how the Marines support is slowly getting cut off and they are foreshadowing a big struggle to survive.

Upvote 0