• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More recording abilities

BlazinAces

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
As i do quite abit of KF filming i'd like to see some more video tools added to KF.

• Ability to pause a video and be able to spectate around the map with no limitations including text on the screen and the annoying options bar stuck on the screen.
  • Rewind option
  • Slow down option, zed timer doesn't work in playback
  • The specimins actually do animations in the playback, currently they do nothing and it looks like they dont attack
  • Ability to turn the film grain off.
Its not top priority but it would be nice.

you can turn off most of the text/notifications if you turn the hud off. demorecs are nice, but like they were in RO extremely buggy. Fraps is always a good alternative if you've got it.

Yeah but fraps can't move around the map for you, it records what you see, the demorec gives the ability to fly around the map so you can snap whatever your little heart desires.

And yes Sambopukka, it would be nice to do that
  • Stop recordings by the code of demorecstop, because that doesn't work
You can start and stop the recordings when your playing them back, but it disables all movement of the freecam and slaps a nice message in the way.

Upvote 0
demos should allow freeroam even in playback if you have spectate mod enabled. at least that's how they work with RO. i'd imagine it works the same way.

You have freeroam in single player demo recordings, you don't in multiplayer, it locks to each player, the only way to bi-pass that is to spectate the multiplayer match as its live and record that way.

The freeroam in single player recording gets disabled upon pausing the playback, meaning if you wanted to hop somewhere on pause to get another shot you can't which gets annoying.

Simply put, KF just doesn't have enough video tools in it to make a decent kick rear video, and i should i know, i make enough of them.

Upvote 0
i've played on many servers (multiplayer) with free roam enabled via spectate or dead roam (after you die) ;) i think what might be tripping you up is that you're only recording a client side demo. in order to get free roam in spectate from a multiplayer match, you have to record the demo server side. this is how it works in RO, give it a try in KF. i would expect it to work the same way.

host a server, make sure spectate free roam is enabled and record a server side demo. to do that, log into admin via console. use these commands:

admin demorec XX - starts the demo, XX is the title you give the video (no spaces in the title)

admin stopdemo - stops the demo, of course the demo will stop automatically upon map change

the demo will be saved in your server's ftp under the folder "demos". of course the folder will not exist until a demo has been taken. to view, simlpy download the file from the ftp to your hard drive, place it in your Killing Floor "demos" folder and should be good to go. should allow you to view through the eyes of a "spectator" and free roam through the entire match.

let me know if you can get it to work, but i believe this will help you get what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
That is very nice work, with one but equally as big drawback.

I don't have my own KF server... so that kind of destroys the point.

Although that is a solution, its a huge task of a solution, i have to do all that just to get a video i can move around the map in, its not really user friendly if im honest.

And i'm not doubting the chance it could work, but we're not sure if it does, so to go out and buy myself a server so i could have a decent recorder, to then find out it doesn't actually work, would not be my happiest day.

But lots of respect for the info mate, i didn't know that until now;)

Blazin

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[...] buy myself a server so i could have a decent recorder, to then find out it doesn't actually work, would not be my happiest day.

Blazin
You really can't host your own dedicated server of your home computer? I have a crap-tastic internet connection and an average desktop and I can run a server. So unless you play kf on a laptop or reeeealy old desktop (I've hosted servers and ran kf off a machine with a 3.4 ghz pentium 4 with 2GB RAM and integrated graphics) it shouldn't be an issue to at least test the feature.

Upvote 0
like akame said, unless you've got a downright terrible system, you should be able to set up a dedicated server off your machine. as long as people connecting to it aren't from like, a hemisphere away, shouldn't have any real connection problems. of course if you've got about $7 lying around, that's how much a private 6 man server costs per month through [url]www.gameservers.com[/URL]. actually, you probably could get a 1-slot public server for $1.99 and just use that mutator that increases the max players......i'd think if it works uping a 6man server to a 12man server (we tried it on ours and it works) should allow a 1man server to get up to at least 6.

actually, i remember talking to somebody years ago about the demos in RO and apparently all the information in the client demos is exactly the same as in the severside demos, as in the ability to spectate and freeroam etc...., but the way the system is setup you can't access that info through client. they thought there is some converter but i can't remember if i ever came accross it or not.

anywho, i'd say you're best bet is to try to set up a dedicated server off your machine (directions are in the dedicated server support forum) or if you've got some extra dosh lying around, pay for a month of a KF server through gameservers, try it out and see how it works with the demos.

Upvote 0
anywho, i'd say you're best bet is to try to set up a dedicated server off your machine (directions are in the dedicated server support forum) or if you've got some extra dosh lying around, pay for a month of a KF server through gameservers, try it out and see how it works with the demos.

Or... TW dig down deep and make the existing system better, because it still lacks things that the dedicated server doesn't provide, thats a good an answer as any :rolleyes:

Upvote 0