• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI+community whitelist testing team

2. To actually effect the whitelist would require participation from TWI.

as it stands right now, everyone has the ability and right to send pictures and info about exploits to the TWI staff and have a map re-checked and maybe de-whitelisted.
this team would exist to simply have a bigger say then just one person and would be more thorough and organized in finding exploits.

Upvote 0
so, was the vacation nice? get a good tan, meet some special ladies? :D

but seriously, welcome back buddy! we missed you :)

thanks. i still lack a computer of my own but i have this shiny new alienware my roommate purchased and i have some free days to set aside for whitelist testing. hopefully when we have enough members we will actually be able to put together our first group "map scouring party" on our private server. should be good fun.

Kf-Defense should be removed from whitelist, that way those nubbies might actually stop playing that stupid grinding map.

oh believe me we'll get to that one in time. it's a perfectly fun map, but it is indeed too easy and is used for easy grinding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
oh believe me we'll get to that one in time. it's a perfectly fun map, but it is indeed too easy and is used for easy grinding.

Yeah... I dont understand how it was whitelisted in the first place. I mean, the map is extremely small with only ONE trader, whole team being on high ground most of the time and the specimens basically have no chance. And the damn doors spawn pre-welded too. But anyway I thought the whole idea of the game was making people move by having multiple traders in the map, each of which will open randomly, so having only 1 trader right next to you ALL THE TIME is just somehow what against the rules imo :S. Unless it was extremely hard to begin with, which Defense isnt.

Did it also have almost infinite money or do I remember it wrong?

Upvote 0
ah, KF-Defense.......one trader. the requirements state it must have multiple traders. so on that condition alone, map fails.
The trader requirement was for the mapping contest. I do not believe there was any such rule for the whitelist, though. I cannot find any posts that say otherwise, at least.

But certainly KF-Defense is easy but that doesn't make it exploiting any more than playing beginner. I don't like the map or the playstyle it encourages but going so far as to removing from the whitelist for being easy it a stupid reason.

Upvote 0
The trader requirement was for the mapping contest. I do not believe there was any such rule for the whitelist, though. I cannot find any posts that say otherwise, at least.

But certainly KF-Defense is easy but that doesn't make it exploiting any more than playing beginner. I don't like the map or the playstyle it encourages but going so far as to removing from the whitelist for being easy it a stupid reason.

i also could not find official requirements for whitelisting a map, but i like using the rules for the mapping contest, which clearly says multiple trader locations, along with the KF mapping guide posted in the level design forums that instructs mappers to use multiple trader locations and have them well spread out so that they are not too close to each other.

that brings up a good point though, is there a specific list of qualifications that a map must meet in order to be whitelisted?

my point about the map is this: a team of 6 just has to sit in the corner next to the tower, the specimen all attack from only two directions, and there is almost 50 meters of distance allowing for players to have no trouble taking stuff out. that along with only one trader location which allows for easy defense setup and no forced movement whatsoever, makes the map a cake walk for normal play itself. add the already problematic "specimen" mutators, and you've got a leveling map.

while almost every other map has "camp" spots, at least the multiple traders (in theory) should complicate the game with forced movement that should take players away from a single spot. players only having to go 10m to get to the trader and back to an already easy campspot is not much of a challenge.

and yes, i saw this pic in the steam forums when all the kiddies were freeking out about steam friends being down.....it made me laugh so i put it in my sig :D

Upvote 0

But! If a map can be played on SUICIDAL DIFFICULTY as well as it was beginner on any other map, it comes very close to exploiting imo.

(In other words, if you play Biotics on beginner its as hard as Defense on suicidal. Thats just wrong..)

honestly i'm fine with a map having one trader as long as it's still a really challenging and fun to play map that doesn't just allow easy grinding until wave 9 or so.

Yeah, thats what I said. If it has only one trader it should be equally as hard too. For example survival maps where you have to defend one spot and enemies keep coming from 4 directions. But then again I havent played any survival maps so I dont know wether they are really that hard.

Upvote 0
I believe the rules were pretty much, no exploits that are too obvious. (pretty much all custom maps have exploits in some way so its about how commonly known are they and how severe, as nobody wants 90% of the maps blacklisted).

And no super easy/leveling maps, which usually means that the specimen either spawn far away from the player, or all of them will always come from 1 the same direction.

Upvote 0
i would agree that one trader would be ok IF the map was designed so that it would still present enough of a challenge. thing about Defence is that there is no challenge. team sits in the corner outside the tower, specimens only attack from two potential directions and the space between where they attack in regards to your location is extremely long. i've seen a team of 3 level6 demos just spam enough pipebombs on the two paths and not have to fire one shot through wave 10. almost 100 pipebombs on each side like a trail of "bread crumbs" takes out everything, yes EVERYTHING before they even get in range to do any damage. you'd be amazed at what people can do when they've got a full 60 seconds at the trader that is only 10m away and loads of munny to buy tons of pipebombs. ;)

Upvote 0
my thoughts as well. that's why i described exactly what my issue is with this map in particular, being able to spam 100 pipebombs isn't really exploiting as the map simply allows you to do it. it's not like say, concert hall where you have to go to "secret" spots in order to exploit the map, it's simply the map is just too easy. kinda like doom2. i have no beef with people wanting to have fun if that's honestly what they are intending to do, but the overwhelming majority of the time, people say it is "fun" because it's an easy way to abuse the system. take away the ability to level perks on it, i guarantee you they won't be having "fun" anymore and they'll never play it again. ;)

Upvote 0