• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Fix the Zerker

Anubis_FB

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Madera, CA
Ok, I have been seeing this all to often now. A medic that can take more damage melee then a zerker. I understand the concept of why a medic would need to, but why TWI did you make the medic be able to do a better job zerking then the Berserker??????

Its a simple soultion (at least in my opinion). Increase the damage take ability of the zerker. Not hard to ask. Im not saying they need to be able to go 1 v 1 with FP and dominate, but I am saying that if they do run into that, with full armor they dont bearly survive. Make it so their armor takes more damage simmilar to the medics. Dont have to reduce the cost, but reduce the amount of armor loss, and increase the % the damage the armor can take. That I feel would help fix the zerker. I dont have a problem with the damage. I just think they die to easy for it being a "Berserker"

Increase the damage take ability of the zerker.

Yes, been asking this a lot myself too. Berseker needs a higher damage resistance, after all he'd still have to worry about sirens, husks and fleshpounds, where most other perks only really need to worry about one zed (FP).

Imo zerker should take around as much damage as the medic does, but his damage resistance would apply to his health aswell, not just the armor.

That reminds me, does that 6 man surround trick work on the fleshpounds? or is someone gonna get seriously injured.

Like, everyone goes berserker with katana and surrounds a fleshpound?

You could definately kill the fleshpound that way (because I was able to kill one with katana on solo suicidal) but I think that one man will still lose a lot of health, because the fleshpound will most likely have a chance to attack at least once.

Or I dont know, should test it. Maybe the fleshpound will die fast enough and doesnt have time to attack? Or it kinda stuns?

Upvote 0
Imo zerker should take around as much damage as the medic does, but his damage resistance would apply to his health aswell, not just the armor.

I'd be on board for a Zerker resistance buff. I think armour should stay medics forte, but deffo give his natural resistance a nice boost. In the medics case he is REALLY hard to kill while his armour is up, but is soft as pudding when he armour is gone. The zerker should be darned hard to kill period,l so I'd more be in favour of a resistance buff than an armour buff.

Return of the Chainsaw would be nice too like Greg and brick said. It was overpowered before because of its insane damage and the stop start attack method of the ZEDs. Now the zeds can attack on the move the damage nerf hurts the chainsaw far too much. Bring it back to its former glory, it will still struggle if it doesn't catch a gorefast/Scrake right :)

Or I dont know, should test it. Maybe the fleshpound will die fast enough and doesnt have time to attack? Or it kinda stuns?

I think your right the first time dude, doubt it'll drop before wounding someone. THe only thing that stops the patty is dropping to his knees. It may work if everyone but the tareget attack the fleshpound tho. :D

Upvote 0
I'd be on board for a Zerker resistance buff. I think armour should stay medics forte, but deffo give his natural resistance a nice boost. In the medics case he is REALLY hard to kill while his armour is up, but is soft as pudding when he armour is gone. The zerker should be darned hard to kill period,l so I'd more be in favour of a resistance buff than an armour buff.

^my thoughts exactly.

and as for the chainsaw, it is in dire need of something. i recently joined a normal server with my lvl 6 zerker because i had like ten mins to kill and used the chainsaw for kicks. it was then that i realized how ineffective it trully is. why is it i can decap and insta kill zeds with my knife but with a chainsaw they remain standing and clawing at my face??? i realize that its a defensive weapon best siuted for holding areas but u can manage the same task with the katana. i would love to have a reason too use the chainsaw, but as it is now its hard to find one.

Upvote 0
agreed guys !
First of all : Chainsawn should back as it was before (not the damage but decap instant killing gorefasts/clots/bloat as well )
second : give us a 50% resistance to all , its not so much , we'll still die at sirens or Fps easy, or even a group of bloats
then third and last : Give the chainsawn a movement speed bonus too like the katana , not equal to the katana but as well one par to its weight.

Well i think that would balance Zek , because we dont have a Tier 3 Weapon from the last update , everyone knows katana is like AK47 : Tier 2 Weapon , but if they fix the chainsawn that would ballance us . :)

Upvote 0
could be a bit cool , but not everyone would like to spend Fuel or "ammo" for a meele weapon , who would ?
i agree thats a chainsawn that is eletric , but at all its still a meele , after buying it may stay "FRee of charge" . the point is that many people play berserker due to its low cost compared to other guys , or no cost at all with lv6 if the chainsawn gets a review or fix.
or then the idea of fuel would be a great idea , making the fuel stay longer (enough for 1 wave of constantly blade spamming) than 1 wave , and the cost should be too cheap like chips ! , lets say 50 for 100% refill ? . just sharing ideas but hope it will not get the "fuel-requirement". i said all that to help this not turn so badly if they choose to do this.
hope this get fixed as how it was before , not the same damage , but decap instant-kill
See ya
sry for my bad english

Upvote 0
Have any of you guys played L4D2 (i know...). Seriously, i played it at an internet cafe just to be able to compare, and it has the chainsaw too. Only theirs is useful, like it should be, and it used fuel. The bad thing about this is it ran out way too quickly.

My point is, if TWI buffed the chainsaw to the point where people started using it, and gave it fuel for ammo, i do not want it running out 5 minutes after starting to use it. I want it to last an entire wave, on suicidal, with 6 people, while holding down left click.

Anything else is just a powerful melee version of the firebug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Concerning the resistance, I agree with Undedd Jester about armor being the Medic's area. Berserkers definitely could use a boost, but don't have it dependent on their armor, with the trade off of it being weaker then the Medic's armor bonus.

About the weapons, I like the idea of the chainsaw needing fuel. I always was disappointed with the Berserker weapons. Other perks have advantages to picking their lower tier weapons, even when they already have their best. The bullpup for example, has better recoil then the SCAR, making it worth taking as well for some players. However, with the berserker, it is rare to see more then one weapon bought. After all, why buy or keep the axe or machete when you already have the katana. By giving the chainsaw a fix to its damage (in some form or another), but adding a fuel cost, it would make taking additional melee weapons a reasonable option and add more variety to the Berserkers out there depending on their personal preferences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
could be a bit cool , but not everyone would like to spend Fuel or "ammo" for a meele weapon , who would ?
i agree thats a chainsawn that is eletric , but at all its still a meele , after buying it may stay "FRee of charge" . the point is that many people play berserker due to its low cost compared to other guys , or no cost at all with lv6 if the chainsawn gets a review or fix

Yes, but I doubt TWI will puff the chainsaw just like that. If they added the fuel requirement, they could make it stronger but weaker at the same time, still keeping it quite balanced weapon :)

Definately think the fuel cost should be quite forgiving though :)

Yeah, maybe one refill would last almost an entire wave, depending on the difficulty ofc. On suicidal it should actually run out at waves 8-10 or so because theres like 300 zeds to be shared with the team xD

The cost of the refill could be something like 100 imo (from zero to full), after all berserker always has a ton of extra money so that shouldnt be too much. Also, if he wants to safe up money he can always choose using katana you know.

Have any of you guys played L4D2 (i know...). Seriously, i played it at an internet cafe just to be able to compare, and it has the chainsaw too. Only theirs is useful, like it should be, and it used fuel.

Btw I didnt even know L4D2 had a chainsaw using fuel... Just had to say that so nobody thinks I stole ideas from that damned game. Ive played it only once and didnt like it. :eek:

Concerning the resistance, I agree with Undedd Jester about armor being the Medic's area.

HEY! That was my idea xD

Damn Jester.

About the weapons, I like the idea of the chainsaw needing fuel. I always was disappointed with the Berserker weapons. Other perks have advantages to picking their lower tier weapons, even when they already have their best. The bullpup for example, has better recoil then the SCAR, making it worth taking as well for some players. However, with the berserker, it is rare to see more then one weapon bought. After all, why buy or keep the axe or machete when you already have the katana. By giving the chainsaw a fix to its damage (in some form or another), but adding a fuel cost, it would make taking additional melee weapons a reasonable option and add more variety to the Berserkers out there depending on their personal preferences.

EXACTLY! Thats what Ive been saying all along, they should give us a reason to buy those other melee weapons, not just pick the katana all the time. After all, lvl 5 zerker spawns with a chainsaw, which you sell after the first wave and buy a katana. Thats how it ALWAYS goes. Nobody uses machete, axe or the chainsaw unless they are looking for a challenge or are just simply bored of the katana.

Adding fuel to chainsaw and making it more powerful would definately make people buy it and another melee weapon as a back up.

Upvote 0
The chainsaw just needs a instant decap ability on small fry. Like clots, Gores, stalkers and crawlers. Thats the main issue I see. Maybe slightly increase the alt-attack to match the katanas strike.

To be fair the Chainsaw should be even more powerful than the katana in terms of damage, because you get horribly slowed down by it. That used to be the trade off, power at the cost of speed.

Upvote 0
Well, I think berserker shouldn't be as tough as medic. That + increased melee damage would be too much.

No but, if a lvl6 medic has 75% better body armor, a lvl 6 berserker would have eg. 50% resist to all damage (instead of just 25%). Therefor, he could withstand more damage than the medic without armor, but if both had armor medics would last longer.

Berserkers resistance wouldnt apply to the armor at all.

Sure zerkers get also increased melee damage, but medics got quick heals and they are even faster than berserkers which is wrong imo, but I guess it has to be that way if medics ever hope to catch up to players to heal them (if they dont have medicgun). Speed along with quick healing ability makes medic still stronger when it comes to taking damage imo.

Upvote 0