• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rolling grenades and throw back grenades...

Imo its good idea if good implemented. I hate how it works in MW2: grenade is as big icon on your hud saying "press G to throw nade back wherever it is". Nade might be even behind you and you still can throw it back...with 3rd hand :D but ok MW2 is console game, we're talking about RO! :)

I agree with that. Player can throw back grenade if he's looking directly on it. So he can pick it up and throw back...or lose hand in explosion :)

Upvote 0
Imo its good idea if good implemented. I hate how it works in MW2: grenade is as big icon on your hud saying "press G to throw nade back wherever it is". Nade might be even behind you and you still can throw it back...with 3rd hand :D but ok MW2 is console game, we're talking about RO! :)

I agree with that. Player can throw back grenade if he's looking directly on it. So he can pick it up and throw back...or lose hand in explosion :)

Do you have to look directly at something to pick it up in real life?

It seems when I'm not seeing what my other hand is doing I have the most interesting results....

But anyway, you don't need a third hand, all you need to do is take one of the two you've got holding on to your rifle, bend over and pick it up.

The reason COD has that one-button mechanic is because anything else is too clunky. You wouldn't stop, shift all your weight, stare at a grenade trying to get it precisely in the center of your vision and concentrate on picking it up to start reaching down and grabbing it IRL.

Upvote 0
One of the things I've always liked about RO is that grenades are so deadly. It can take out a room of enemy soldiers (or friendly ones :eek:) without their even knowing that it got tossed in there. I actually like the feeling of panic that washes over me when I here that *tink tink* of a grenade landing near by. So I would be horrified if TWI made it so that you can just hit a button without having to really think about it to throw it back.

No, you don't need to look directly at something to grab it, but you do need to know where it is. Looking at the grenade demonstrates that you know where it is instead of just jamming the 'g' key to thow it back where ever it might be.

I never want to see someone backing up toward a grenade, in a hallway or something, hitting the "throw back button" while spraying their mp40 until they magically know where the grenade is, because it's within range of their throw back radius, and thowing it back. Not in RO. No sir.

I think it would be awesome if they made is so that you can thow grenades back at the enemy; it just shouldn't be easy.

Upvote 0
Can it be done in real life? Sure.

But is it commonly done in real life? No. Pretty rare.

Why? Because it is hard to pick one up and throw it back before it blows up.

Keep the game authentic please.

What I hated since the mod days was when I was in prone stance waiting for the Russians to come and the first thing I received was a black explosive present right in front of my face, so close I could believe it's my own nade I'm holding in my hands. Here I always wished to grab the egg and return it to the sender.

Very same goes with grenades being thrown into a room, "blocking" the way out through the door. Also here I really wish to grab the egg and throw back.

There should be some sort of icon indicating a hand, so you can differ from "non-live" grenades, surely you should look nearly in the direction/at the nade to be able to pick it up. Of course such things like spraying around with the smg and magically picking up the nade maybe even while standing with the back to the nade would kill RO's realism addiction.

Upvote 0
I would love both elements implemented.

However how often would grenades be rolling? I'm sure that some of the maps would be in snow, mud or other environments where a grenade would not dramatically roll around as seen in some games - rather it would tend to just stay in the ground (also given its weight and force it hits the ground would also effect whether it would stay there or not)

In urban, tiled and concrete ground then grenades would be more likely to roll around.

As for the throwing back of grenades - I prefer to run away! and unfortunately sometimes I still die in the explosion or run into it because you dont always know where it is (which is great, unlike CoD where it is like "HEY THE NADE IS HERE!")
I think the concept of cooking grenades should be frowned upon because in battle when would you have the patience and opportunity to cook a grenade for 3-4 seconds? Every second counts for a soldier - and from what I've seen the soldiers tend to just get their nades and throw them - that way it doesnt blow up mid way in the air, or if it lands near the enemy then they have to get away (lack of cover, easy shot at them) or they blow up. Sort of a win-win situation
Hence the throwing back nade concept would be quite useful and not entirely redundant before actually being implemented due to the good ole cooking of nades.

Upvote 0
However how often would grenades be rolling? I'm sure that some of the maps would be in snow, mud or other environments where a grenade would not dramatically roll around as seen in some games - rather it would tend to just stay in the ground (also given its weight and force it hits the ground would also effect whether it would stay there or not)

In urban, tiled and concrete ground then grenades would be more likely to roll around.

Yes, in urban, tiled and concrete ground, etc., then grenades would be roll around and in the snow, mud, etc., they should of course would tend to just stay in the ground. :) Good Idea!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would like the option to dropkick and punt a f1 grenade into enemy crowds just so I can feel badass. . . . J/k I love realism as much as anyone else. (But that would make an awesome mod for ****s n giggles.)

I like the idea of grenade physics being affected by materials like mud snow rock etc. Would bring some depth into the game instead of *Throw Grenade, Done!*. Having the grenade interact more with its environment would give you one more thing to think about for tactics.

Upvote 0
As for the throwing back of grenades - I prefer to run away! and unfortunately sometimes I still die in the explosion or run into it because you dont always know where it is (which is great, unlike CoD where it is like "HEY THE NADE IS HERE!")

You should be given the ability to throw it back anyway, it's up to every if he uses the chance or if he prefers to run. Some posts above I described situations which make it useless to run.

Upvote 0
You should be given the ability to throw it back anyway, it's up to every if he uses the chance or if he prefers to run. Some posts above I described situations which make it useless to run.

Yes, you can throw a grenade back. Just like you can throw your rifle at an enemy. Doesn't mean it makes sense to put it in a game.

Remember, if a grenade is in your face and you're prone, it will still take a few seconds to pick it up, stand up, and throw it.

In which time it will most likely go off anyways.

Which is why when you see a grenade, you seek cover, and don't try to play catch with it.

Upvote 0