• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] AvP 2 coming out soon

I'd say it depends on how much you spend on it, I don't regret buying it, but I only spent 23€, I would probably not have the same opinion If I had spent 50€.

It also depends on how much you value multi player over single player, as it seems that MP is the strong point of this game.

The SP levels of the game are a real beauty with maxed textures (that is probably why the game takes 15GB of your HDD) the MP levels are more simple probably for better performance, as seen in the demo.

Marine Campaign:

Very immersive visuals and sound, but high dificulty levels can make it a bit frustrating, as it takes too many rounds to kill the xenomorphs. Probably fixed lowering the dificulty a bit, but I havent tried yet. As a marine, everything scares the crap out of you

Alien Campaign:

This one on the contrary feels very easy, but is also a lot of fun, is like playing commandos, in a very twisted and gory way, separate marines from the group and slaughter them. The problem here is that it may be too easy as you are virtually invisible in the shadows. But the results are still very satisfying. As a Xenomorph, you scare the crap out of everything

Predator Campaign:

Pretty much like the Alien, but more techy (and a bit harder too) as you lack the mobility and speed of an alien (I could say more, but is late and I need to wake up early tomorrow)

Multiplayer:

This is the strong point of the game, pretty much like the demo, but with the much needed different and better game modes and the server browser, and a "beta" dedicated server support (it says is beta and I couldn't find any) but the browser still works for the user hosted games.

My only real complain about it is that so far it seems that the SP campaign is gonna be short and some maps are repeated for the different campaigns, making it appear even shorter. Each stage is quite large tho, and in the hardest setting you can't save mid game.

This is all I can tell after playing 2 maps as Marine, 3 as Alien, and 1 as Predator. and 2 Multiplayer rounds in team deathmatch and 1 in survivor.

So in the end:
If you are interested in SP only, I wouldn't buy

If you are interested in SP and MP, or MP only is definitely worth buying if you don't spend more than 30-35€ (In my opinion is hard to find a game that is worth 50€ tho)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I've bought this one recently, following on advice from someone who already had it and played the original AvP (of which we both were avid fans).

I've got to say I'm really liking it so far. I agree with Fedorov on the SP campaigns. Both the Alien and the Predator campaigns are fairly easy on Normal - as long as you keep your kills clean and quiet, because then it's always up to you to dictate the terms of the encounter.

However, once you up the ante with Hard difficulty level, things get up to par with the difficulty of the Marine campaign. I, for instance, found the Aliens very tough to kill as Predator and it requires really good close combat skills to beat 4-5 without dying (meaning you have to be really adept at blocking at the right moment, using your heavy attack to break the enemy's blocks, etc).

As for the MP. Seval points come to mind:

a) A small number of maps, all of which are relatively small. Different maps favour different species and different playing styles. Lack of modding tools and the explicit ban on modding activities will be frustrating to those who won't follow up this purchase with additional DLC purchases.

b) The balance. I don't know, for me - coming from the original AvP and having played next to nothing of the AvP2 - the balance's good. It's not perfect balance, and I wouldn't really view this game as a good competitive game, but more of a fun game where you have to accept that you're sometimes you're the ****er and sometimes the ****ee.
The balance, as I'm viewing it now, is something similar to: Marine trumps Alien, Predator trumps Marine (if done in a stealthy way), Alien trumps Predator (if stealthy - and with its speed it's semi-manageable) and so on.
I wouldn't agree that the Predator's disc is overpowered - you have to hit, the enemy can hide behind walls before the disc gets to them, the targeting beam betrays your location.
In general the Marine is the easiest to pick up on, as you just jump in and shoot things. You don't usually get clean kills as is possible with the other two species.
With the Predator and the Alien - if they're played right - the victim has little only a slim chance of survival. I understand that that's what frustrates people, prompting them to whine - but nobody said it's an even fight.

c) The game modes. I'd say all of them have a well-deserved place and all offer good fun. Infestation and Predator Hunt are a form of game of tag (with respectively Alien and the Predator being the person tagging), albeit it requires a fair deal of discipline during Infestation. I haven't seen a single Marine victory and I've played several rounds - worse is the fact that some people don't have the patience, or don't understand the object of the game, and go off solo to get themselves killed (because you get more points for Alien kills than for pure waiting).

d) The players. All in all, flowing from the two previous points, I fear that a large part of the audience is going to be people at whom the game was not really targeted. I feel this game requires patience, because sometimes you just sit tight and hope you're well set up - same goes for the other side, when you're slowly creeping up and biding your time to strike when you see a weak point.
With no dedicated servers, leaving hosts, immature players and the like are going to be a problem, but so far they haven't been that frequent in my experience.
You will also have people whining about lack of balance or criticising you for spamming overpowered weapons ("stop spamming the disc and do something else", for instance). Again, I'd say there's no reason to whine - it's about fun, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and there are counters to these so-called "op" tactics.

----
All in all, if you take into account the above things and still seem interested, I encourage you. You only have to remember about the potentially small longevity of the title, unless the situation with the mod tools changes (or the DLCs are going to be free).

If you feel like MPing with me, then that's "AThousandD" on Steam. Cheers.

Upvote 0
@I Kant: I think the Disc is really overpowered specially when aliens are in melee range, and even more specially if the predator happens to be hosting the game (0 ping, etc)

also, added you to steam friends.

@Kaner: Not as good as their pre-order, but is quite a nice price for a game that's just released.

Upvote 0
The game is nice and atmospheric online when your playing as marines against aliens, frantic and intense.

Predator can be a right bastard though.

and aliens are hard to control, seeing as sometimes you climb up walls and stuff, but then other times your alien refuses to climb, making you jump instead, and i feel that the alien needs some sort of attack when hes above a player, like on a ceiling with a player directly beneath him.

Id also like the option to turn off all 'tracking' sort of devices
Like the aliens ability to see an outline of another player through walls.
predators heat/alien visions
and the marines radar.

The alien feels like its meant to be the silent assassin, but its impossible to sneak up on enemies when they have there radar going off or there vision is making you bright green, so your constantly forced to get up front and spam attacks....well most the time you are, thats been my experience so far anyway.

It can be great fun online if a game plays out good though.

Upvote 0
With the alien, I feel, to succeed at the silent assassin role (I do agree that it's supposed to be that way) I think you have to use the fact that you can sense your prey through walls.

Therefore, keep out of line of sight and keep getting closer and closer. I assure you, when I'm the Marine and I have contacts on the mo-dec, I get edgy after a while. Because either the creeper's real good and is seriously going to get me in a second, or he's just somewhere else (perhaps on a different level) and I should be focusing on peeling my eyes off after something else. But the uncertainty's a big gnawer.
And the Predator? Sure, you'll flash up when he's in the alien-vision mode, but if you stay hidden behind a wall or something, you may just get your chance when he turns his back on you and then it's the tail up his - whatever it is the tail goes up through.

Upvote 0
With the alien, I feel, to succeed at the silent assassin role (I do agree that it's supposed to be that way) I think you have to use the fact that you can sense your prey through walls.

Therefore, keep out of line of sight and keep getting closer and closer. I assure you, when I'm the Marine and I have contacts on the mo-dec, I get edgy after a while. Because either the creeper's real good and is seriously going to get me in a second, or he's just somewhere else (perhaps on a different level) and I should be focusing on peeling my eyes off after something else. But the uncertainty's a big gnawer.
And the Predator? Sure, you'll flash up when he's in the alien-vision mode, but if you stay hidden behind a wall or something, you may just get your chance when he turns his back on you and then it's the tail up his - whatever it is the tail goes up through.

These are the type of things that make a good online session, waiting for your prey etc. But i dont know.....its a bit too rare, most the times marines and predators will just camp in a corner, making it impossible to get near them undetected, soif they added the option to turn off all visions and radars and add some sort of pouncing attack from when the aliens above a target and it could be much better.

It would mean that you would be constantly on your toes as a marine and predator, looking around everywhere etc. And it would allow humans to maybe set up ambushes for an unsuspecting predator/alien, and if the **** hits the fan then you could try and hide in the shadows.....where another alien/predator might be waiting for you.

Maybe i should post this in the AvP forums...lol

Upvote 0
there are several problems

playing as Alien, is very rewarding to wait in the shadows and kill a stray Marine who passes right by your side without noticing you. The problem is that this is very rare.

Marines either camp, or go in groups, predators see you as a glowing green thing, they also beat you at long range and in melee, forget about stealth with them, Aliens can see you too (if deathmatch)

Other problem is not being able to interrupt the killmove animation, leading to real trains of killmoves, thats because people prioritize to get one frag than to save their own lives, suicidal behavior is normal in multiplayer games, its just more noticeable on this one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, there's been this patch 4 lately and I've gotta say, things have improved. Dedicated servers are still beta, but they've improved, pings got better (on wifi I can now somewhere in the vicinity of 110-140 if the server's good, so that's better than I had with RO), disc was nerfed and it is considerably less used now.

Alien wall tailspam hasn't been touched, but I can live with that for the time being.

All in all, despite all the negative emotion surrounding this game, I am having lots of fun with it. People have also learned to play better and stealth kills are less frequent now and scorned at. So they've fallen into their alloted place - that special kill move for when you catch someone unawares. Harder to abuse 'em.

The problem with small/few maps stands. Ya, well. Just a heads up.

Upvote 0