• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

Gunslinger Perk - Yes or No?

• Total voters
You got to put things into perspective. 250,000 bought the game 113 voted yes.

Ain't gonna happen.

And around 60 voted no. Well compared.

If roughly half of the community would think the perk should be added, then they could aswell add it. I mean, half of the people who voted no would prolly play the perk anyway after they see it made, the other half would just - well - not play the perk but they wouldnt stop playing the game because of it. Of course there might be an odd few players who rage and quit playing KF completely but hey its not gonna make much difference.

But my point is, TWI got nothing to lose if they added it, as long as they managed to balance the perk out well enough so it doesnt become another Sharpshooter style god-mode perk. Hell they might even sell more copies of the game because of this new content. If they were planning to add more perks, they might aswell add what the community is requesting.

Upvote 0
It seems that my last post has been forgotten. I better quote it to refresh your memories

EDIT: the sharpshooter does fine against crowds. Its weakness is that it is easily overrun and needs his team to cover his back while he snipes

From what I've heard, the Gunslinger is this totally awesome shining pistol based perk. It is a very versatile perk with short and long ranged weapons and its role is to provide ZED time.

With this information I pose this question to you. Does the gunslinger have a weakness? Is there a reason why somebody would NOT want to use this perk?

A weakness for every perk is necessary, guys. It's what builds up teamwork. Teamwork is what KF is all about. We can't have gunslinger being added as a versatile perk or it will overpopulate just like SS. And nobody will want to use any of the other 7 perks anymore. Is this what you guys want? Apparently yes, since most of you completely ignored my last post (only Colt .45 killer noticed my post).

I also await a response to the last paragraph of the quoted passage.

Well, the perk's weaknesses would be his lack of proficiency with any of the ranges. He can shoot rather effectively at any range, yes, but his short clips, long reload times, reduced accuracy (twice the clip at the cost of no ironsights? Seems like a reasonable trade-off), and inferior damage would make this perk a very difficult one to play with on solo. However, if he teams with any combat perk (medic isn't one), he can focus on whichever weakness(es) that perk has:

• If it's a firebug, he draws dual-handcannons and go for single-target high dps;
  • If it's a commando, he draws his revolver, and assists taking down scrakes and FPs;
  • If it's a demo, he takes down the little stuff that gets too close;
  • If it's a 'zerker,he takes down husks and bloats;
  • If it's a support, a revolver to deal with long range specimens, and dual handcannons to assist killing the strong ones that get close;
  • If it's a sharpshooter, there isn't much to be done as of now. Later on, he might be able to assist taking down the small stuff.
As for the last quoted paragraph, this perk is NOT for SS balance only. It is, aas I've said numerous times, a STEP towards balancing it. There are two main problems with SS: handgun proficiency, and M14 spam. This perk, obviously, does not fix the main problem, which is M14 spam.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you know i thought i'd just mention it......this thread has the second most views of a single thread in this forum section and it could probably move up to #1 within the next month. that in itself is pretty amazing so if this idea never gets implimented, it was stilll a valiant effort and obviously stimulated a lot of discussion from the community. :)

Upvote 0
This thread currently holds the title for the most replied in the suggestion board. And is the second most viewed. Out of 183 voters, over 63% are in favor of this perk being implemented.

The topic has been exausted with ideas, both good and bad, and criticism, who provided serious feedback and helped develop this perk correctly, giving it a possible place in-game. All we can do now, is hope that a dev read this thread and decides it's a good idea, and later on implements it.

So, if no one is against it, I ask for a mod to lock the thread, while keeping sure a dev read it, please.

Thanks for all the (positive AND negative) feedback.

Upvote 0
Excuse me, but don't we have the the sharpshotter perk already? Or I was just too lazy to read the whole thread?

This perk is NOTHING like the sharpshooter... The only thing they have in common is the pistols, and SS shouldnt get any pistol bonuses because imo those are not sharpshooter weapons. Well at least Id imagine him to focus on scoped long range weapons, because he is the "sniper" class in the game. If you take away dual handcannons and give them to a new perk, SS still got LAR, M14 and a Crossbow. Thats 3 perk weapons, where firebug and medic have one, demo 2, commando 3.. So its not like he would become useless or anything if he lost pistols.

We want a perk that focuses entirely on pistols, gets bonuses for doing damage with pistols (not headshot damage), has faster reloads, bigger mags and more ammo. Because atm pistols only as sharpshooter wont be very efficent, dual handcannons run out VERY quickly, where dual 9mm will just be useless because headshotting will become rather impossible. Gunslinger wouldnt have to worry about doing headshots only to be efficent with pistols, so it wouldnt matter. Also ammo boost for handcannons would make them very useful.

Upvote 0
well, i beg to differ about the handgun efficiency for SS as it currently is setup. i never run out of 9mm or handcannon ammo when used alongside a crossbow. i also get plenty of kills adding extra "mop up" fire power just by using the 9mm alone. but that is exactly the problem! lol. i can understand the headshot damage bonus for SS applying to all weapons (so 9mm, handcannon, shotgun, crossbow, AK47 etc.... ok), but the damage bonus for handguns as a SS weapon is a bit, well, stupid. again never understood why in october that change was added because before then, this issue didn't exist.

the point is taking the handguns away from any particular class (in this case the SS), as they don't belong to those perks, and giving them their own rightful perk. as for the various ideas on abilities, tier3 weapon, to give to the gunslinger, how to level it etc...it's burried in pages of this thread.

Upvote 0
i never run out of 9mm or handcannon ammo when used alongside a crossbow.

Yea, when used alongside another weapon duh.

I was talking about using pistols only just for the fun of it. Yea 9mm never runs out basically but the handcannons do if you actually use them sometimes.

i also get plenty of kills adding extra "mop up" fire power just by using the 9mm alone.

Me too, if Im using single 9mm and do some headshotting. But If you try to use dual 9mm it becomes useless :(

the point is taking the handguns away from any particular class (in this case the SS), as they don't belong to those perks, and giving them their own rightful perk. as for the various ideas on abilities, tier3 weapon, to give to the gunslinger, how to level it etc...it's burried in pages of this thread.

Aye

Upvote 0
yeah you know every time i see i have the option to have dual 9mm, i always decide against it. not that i can't hit anything using them, but it's harder to get the headshots. also feels like you waste a ton of bullets.

but if a gunslinger perk had better damage with dualies, i'd be stocking up dual 9mm, dual handcannons, plus whatever the tier3 weapon would be. figure two leg holsters, two sling holsters around your chest, and two belt holsters, that would be plenty of room to hold all that gear :D might get kinda heavy though.....

Upvote 0
Actually this would be nice if the perk cap is raised as an add on for the Sharpshooter. Faster reload on handguns, and better accuracy with a pair. A new set of hand guns would be nice, but the ability to do good damage to the smaller foes when surrounded. On harder levels (Hard, Suicidal), the 9mm's just don't break up a close crowd quickly enough is surrounded.

Upvote 0
Actually this would be nice if the perk cap is raised as an add on for the Sharpshooter. Faster reload on handguns, and better accuracy with a pair. A new set of hand guns would be nice, but the ability to do good damage to the smaller foes when surrounded. On harder levels (Hard, Suicidal), the 9mm's just don't break up a close crowd quickly enough is surrounded.

We arent looking for puffing the sharpshooter any further... Its already too powerful.

And to the vote numbers, honestly, how many people that play the game are on the forums? I tend to think more are on the steam killing floor forums, but even then, the numbers are probably around 20 to 25% if they don't have problems with running the game.

Yeah, altho the number is prolly more like 5%. Maybe a larger percentage has signed in the forums but isnt actively browsing them if at all, but still.

Upvote 0

...no
Sharpie is WAY to powerful already.

Upvote 0
What about a special ability? We need something that distinguishes gunslinger from the others in addition to damage/reload/ammo bonus. All current perks have at least one.

Medic: better armor, faster movement(I'll count syringe recharge/potency as normal bonus)
Support: more weight capacity
Commando: ability to see ZED health/stalker
Sharpshooter: headshot bonus(in addition to normal wep bonus)
Berserker: faster movement, overall damage res
Firebug: incendiary grenade, husk fireball res/immunity
Demolitions: explosive res

Upvote 0