• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The nastiest of them all......

No Glory

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Meet the Cyclops,
Has the stalker's cloak and when he gets close has a "blinding" ability much like the one that someone earlier stated (Thank you anaymous person, and Hateme for reminding me). Think flash grenade (Without being thrown) with the range of the siren's scream. A lvl 6 Commando would be immune to the flash along with seeing the specimen while earlier levels would just result in less blind-time. If it doesn't seem quite fair, maybe the specimen would phase/pulse in and out of visibility, instead of entirely invisible until the last second.

EDIT:
Maybe it would only be in front of the specimen where people got blinded..... he has two eyes a normal one and a closed one, when the closed one opens, all the radiation that's been collected into it is released for the flash effect. Hence the name, cyclops.

Also, I agree with you shambler maybe instead of the norm visibility issues, you can see the EDGES of your screen but it gets whiter when you reach the middle of the screen? Also maybe if it attacks successfully it lunges at the blind player and begins to beat the **** out of them unlike the siren husk and bloat who just remain the way they were? Before that moment it's as slow as a husk walks?

=POST #19 HAS ALL THE DETAILS!!!!!=

Last edited:
It would definitely contribute to the adrenaline rush when you regain your vision to find yourself staring eye to eye with a fleshpound...

Whether the idea would work would depend a lot on the point that Shambler brought up. The intensity, frequency, and duration of the flash could make or break this. Having an enemy designed around disruption rather then damage dealing, however, would be a refreshing change.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but I find it pretty hard to see when a Siren screams near me, when a Bloat gets acid on me, or a Husk sets me on fire. When I can't see, I just start spraying in front of me, at where I thought the enemies were. I don't really see this changing very much more than how often I'm blinded...

Upvote 0
Really? I don't know what you mean.....When she hits you or uncloaks?

When she hits you, turns your vision all red and unclear. I myself never noticed it as a major problem, but I know alot of poeple say her slaps are really annoying for their blindness :)

But hey ho, dont want to rip on the idea if I'm wrong, just commenting on what I hear alot :)

Upvote 0
Meet the Cyclops,
EDIT:
Maybe it would only be in front of the specimen where people got blinded..... he has two eyes a normal one and a closed one, when the closed one opens, all the radiation that's been collected into it is released for the flash effect. Hence the name, cyclops.
?

lol what, radiation in its eye xD?

I think it should rather be a crawler size specimen which actually explodes (and dies) causing a blinding effect on everyone for a short period of time. Commando would gain faster recovery on each level, so for lvl 0 it would last as long as for everyone, and lvl 6 would be like few milliseconds (barely noticable).

I wouldnt want another cloaked specimen, but the "phase shift" idea is kinda cool. It would jump beetween different dimensions so to speak, causing it to be nearly invisible for a few seconds at a time but not all the time like Stalkers are (apart from when they attack). It could also be faster than Stalkers and crawlers.

I like it... But you would NEED to have a commando on your team if the blinding was flashbang strength. Maybe if the blinding was only partial? Also, would it actually attack or just stand around being annoying?

Like I said above, I think it would be best if the specimen kinda exploaded causing a blinding effect on the team, so it wouldnt stick around and "be annoying" lol. I think the blinding effect should be entirely white for a second and then slowly fading away so it would be like looking through a thick fog for a few seconds?

When she hits you, turns your vision all red and unclear.

Hmm I think that can be disabled from the graphics menu (motion blur)? Because I dont recall having it.

Upvote 0
I don't know how to explain they eye!!!!! I swear!!!!! But I think it would be cool, and not too much different from the killing floor concept that is already there.

Jester:
Lol, you make it sound like we'll be killed by red slaps of death XD
But, yes, I know what you mean, it's the stuff that makes you unscope right? It's pretty dar n annoying sometimes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I thought if we were to have another ZED, how about one that has a limited teleport ability? It would have to be low damage and low health, and function like a crawler. If attacking directly it can make fairly quick 'jumps' towards the player to close the space down. Its kicker would be the ability to get through welded doors.

Now that would be one hell of an idea imo. A specimen able to go through welded doors without having to break them down.

I agree it should be rather weak specimen because otherwise it would be way too annoying and might make the game way too hard. Unless it spawned very rarely, similar to siren spawns.

But, if it also had the blinding ability, it should have some kind of charge time before it goes off. I mean, when its close enough to use the ability, it would start glowing and after 2 seconds or so it would release a flashbang-style light effect blinding everyone who LOOKS AT IT. That means, if you were looking away you wouldnt be blinded, at least not for long. Would give players some chance of avoiding it, but if it had the ability the teleport it might be that the players never saw it coming in the first place.

Or I dunno, maybe these should be two entirely different zeds?

Upvote 0
Why invisibility?
That should remain stalker exclusive.
How about, I dunno, teleporting? Or creating illusions?
That would also be in the spirit of a specimen that screws with your vision.

Although, honestly, bloat, husk and siren get that whole "vision-screwing" done quite well already.

Upvote 0
Why invisibility?
That should remain stalker exclusive.
How about, I dunno, teleporting? Or creating illusions?
That would also be in the spirit of a specimen that screws with your vision.

Although, honestly, bloat, husk and siren get that whole "vision-screwing" done quite well already.

I like the illusions, maybe instead of Pulsing in and out, he has multi-copies? And commando can see the norm whereas all the others appear red as the stalkers do?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Needless to say what everyone thinks, I have a few...*cough* pictures for you. I was hoping to keep it a secret, but I just cannot find anyone willing to put this in-game :(

Meet the Cyclops:

Cyclops.jpg

Cyclops2.jpg

Cyclops3.jpg

Cyclops4.jpg

Final Rundown of Abilities:

-Can blind players if he gets too close by opening his mechanical eye
=Blind effect makes screen obscured in the middle but visible near the edges.
-Has the animation of a gorefast, but the speed of a clot (arm with long fingers = gorefast blade)
-Can JUMP higher or further than normal specimens if it doesn't lead to glitchy gameplay
=Jumping high allows it to go over buildings, further allows it to "lunge" like a crawler, but, it attacks after landing.
-damage of a scrake

Example situation:
People are holding the second floor of office, they're doing fine, then this thing jumps up from below, through the window and blinds everyone. Now that players can't see, it allows the zed to get in close to deal dmg.

also: mappers, haven't you always wanted a specimen that can go OVER buildings rather than through even though they've already entered the map?

-if you want it, bug someone who can get it in-game!-

Last edited:
Upvote 0