• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Perk level selection

akstylish

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
I prefer playing on hard these days because there aren't many suicidal servers and lots of them are 24/7 defense/doom-final fix. But with lvl6 perks the game feels a bit too easy on anything other than suicidal. My suggestion is to let players to choose their perk level in the lobby, from 0 to their max. That would also give low level players a chance to gather more kills.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anemia
I'm a little unclear about this, (my engrish is no good)

but from what i gather you want the option to be able to choose your perk level you want to be when you enter a game. (Only from the levels you unlocked of course)

So say I have a level 6 Support. I enter a hard game. Instead of going in as a level 6, I want to enter as a level 4 or 5.

Is that what you mean?

Upvote 0
I prefer playing on hard these days because there aren't many suicidal servers and lots of them are 24/7 defense/doom-final fix. But with lvl6 perks the game feels a bit too easy on anything other than suicidal. My suggestion is to let players to choose their perk level in the lobby, from 0 to their max. That would also give low level players a chance to gather more kills.

Yes i agree and maybe to show if you are better than other player with the same level ^^
Challenge :D

Upvote 0
I'm a little unclear about this, (my engrish is no good)

but from what i gather you want the option to be able to choose your perk level you want to be when you enter a game. (Only from the levels you unlocked of course)

So say I have a level 6 Support. I enter a hard game. Instead of going in as a level 6, I want to enter as a level 4 or 5.

Is that what you mean?

lolengrish

Anyway, support this idea. I want to be able to hold out at level 0 without resetting my perks

Upvote 0
I remember suggesting this a while back, but it got lost inside another thread. Definately a big yes from me :)

I prefer playing on hard these days because there aren't many suicidal servers and lots of them are 24/7 defense/doom-final fix.

I have no guilt over giving myself some free advertising, join my server in my sig. Suicidal, long, official maps and with map and kick vote. Anti blocker mut of course ;)

Self promoting FTW :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'd like to see it built into the game system itself, i.e. even if you have say level6 support, if you're playing hard, the game will only allow you to play at say level4. so basicly perk max per dificulty level.

of course if you really wanted to set your level really low on hard, to say level2, just for the extra challenge (the OP's suggestion) i can't see anything wrong with that, so sure, add it and let people knock themselves out.

Upvote 0
Nice idea, it'd let me show up L6 sharpies M14 spamming with a L0 sharpie using the HandCannon. (i have a L6)

Because if a L0 sharpie using pistols is getting more kills than a L6 sharpie spamming with a EBR, then you know who's boss.

Even if the L6 sharpie was a noob that would still be almost impossible and if they had any skill whatsoever, it would be totally impossible.

Reactions: SMIFF
Upvote 0
I'm all for the option that you could choose a weapon you could start with (of course if your perk is high enough), so for example:

-LVL6 sharpshooter could choose between Xbow / LAR / single handcannon
-LVL6 berserker between chainsaw / fire axe / machete
-LVL6 support between shotgun / hunting shotgun / extra grenades.
-LVL6 commando between bullpup / AK47
-LVL6 demo between M79 and 2 pipebombs / 4 pipebombs
-LVL5 medic could choose between armor / medic gun

and so on...

Upvote 0
I'm all for the option that you could choose a weapon you could start with (of course if your perk is high enough), so for example:

and so on...

that is also a very good idea! example, as a level6 support i'd much rather start with a normal shotgun instead of the hunting. same thing with level6 zerker, i'd much rather have a katana. SS much rather start with a LAR or handcannon. it's gotten to the point where i usually just start out as zeker or firebug just so i've got the free armour and really don't care what the weapon is until wave 2 or 3.....by then i can figure out what kind of team i'll be playing with and select a perk accordingly.

Upvote 0

and so on...

I want this too. I hate the chainsaw and barely ever use it even tho I spawn with it, rather pick the knife. So it would be awesome if I could choose wether to spawn with chainsaw or some other weapon. Even tho it didnt allow katana, Id still rather go for axe than chainsaw. Also, Id rather pick normal shotgun over hunting shotgun,

There could be the option of selecting more ammunation or grenades for each perk too imo, instead of having an armor or another weapon. Like the demo could choose more grenades for m79 rather than having those 2 pipes or something?

Might get too complicated.

Upvote 0
+1 to both of these ideas, probably the weapon selection, as it seems to me once you get to lvl 6 SS (only lvl 6 I have XD) the LAR just disapears, as you tend to use the xbow for line-ed up zeds in the opening waves and the toughies in later waves, and when you complet ethe wave you either a) continue using the xbow with perhaps dual HC or b) sell the xbow and go to antoher class (like lvl 5 demo for me :D)

anyway +1337

Upvote 0
There could be the option of selecting more ammunation or grenades for each perk too imo, instead of having an armor or another weapon. Like the demo could choose more grenades for m79 rather than having those 2 pipes or something?

Might get too complicated.
You could just get money based on your perk level and get to spend it for perk specific weapons, perhaps armor and ammo. Kind of like the trader menu with restrictions before the start of the game. Either that or make it an interface outside the game with similar build. But honestly it doesn't make a huge difference because I have never died on the first wave while seriously playing. The 9mm is a beast, the knife isn't terrible, add in a spawn weapon or scavenged item and you really can't lose.

Upvote 0