• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What's with the Rambo hate?

The fact is...

A bad Rambo dies, begs for money, and just generally makes the game irritating/difficult.

Exactly.

If you go rambo and die on later waves, it actually does make the game a lot harder because it can mean an extra scrake or fleshpound left for the rest of the team along with a ton of smaller pests. Altho it depends on a lot of things, like what perks are your team using and how skilled the rest of the team is etc etc.

I dont usually hate rambos as long as they stay alive and arent ruining the game for everyone else somehow.

A good Rambo makes newbies jealous for kills

Eh, no.

A good rambo hogs all kills for himself, which means he gets all the money and all the fun. Rest of the team gets to kill a few odd clots here and there, cant afford buying new weapons and the game gets generally boring. If this rambo is nice enough to share his money, then ok, but it can still get boring for the rest of the team.

But of course there might be some people out there who actually care about kills so much that they start hating someone for having more kills >_>

Upvote 0
I don't think there's anything wrong with people "rambo'ing" as long as they're successful, but the problem is that most people aren't, and if they are, they're playing on a low difficulty than they should be and that's a horse of different color.

I'd also like to point out that there's a difference between people who "rambo", and those who break off from the group because they're getting nothing done. Often times berserkers and firebugs will splinter off, but they're not going too far; usually, they're just covering a different side (like the back). I'm tired of hearing people shout "WARE WERE U?" when they were about five feet behind you.

Literally, the best thing you can do for your team is be self-sufficient. Personal performance is ALWAYS more important than teamwork. The goal of the game is to win, not have an even dispersal of kills and money. If you can win, but have to leave someone to die, then you do it - I'd rather die a round for the sake of a clear than lose the entire wave. I'm tired of people whining because I didn't save them. My job isn't to save you, or babysit you, or make sure you get all the ammo. My job is to stay alive while killing the most zombies I can.

This isn't Hello Kitty World 2: Babysit the Noob.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMIFF
Upvote 0
As a medic, it's annoying to find an injured or critical teamate who is across the whole map. Who is away from the whole team.

Let them die!!!!

No but really, there isn't much you can do without abandoning your team. It may not even be worth the effort because you yourself may very well die on the way there, especially on hard (I'm not even considering suicidal).

Upvote 0
Personal performance is ALWAYS more important than teamwork.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, and if "survival" is the goal, then by the numbers, ramboing is the single stupidest thing you could do.

All that "I'm so good so more money for me means the team does better" stops meaning anything after wave 4. If someone is l33t by themselves, then they're only screwing the rest of the team by not adding their amazing talent to the rest of the group's performance.

Forget everything else, the principle of "more warm bodies between me and them" also makes it an intelligent choice for survival and "winning."

Upvote 0
While I don't have much of a problem with them, I do have a tendency to rambo off myself as I chase after groups and groups of specimens. I think it's more due to a "I got distracted" issue than actually deciding to go somewhere and leave my team behind. And unless I totally lose my team in my bloodlust, I generally try to get back to them when I realize there are no other guns except my own...

Upvote 0
My rebuttals,

1. I DON'T want you to help/heal me, and if I do die I take it as a personal failure.

2. I most likely won't die, unless it's Suicidal (in which I wouldn't even attempt to rambo)

3. I'm not a sharpshooter.

4. I heal myself, I won't ask you to do it for me.

5. When I get my SCAR and armor I give away all the money I earn.

6. I actually generally appreciate you NOT shooting that Fleshpound/Scrake that's attacking me, why? One, I prefer killing it on my own, two it means I can kill it using a strategy without variables. (don't make it rage on me please)

7. It's still fun.

So yeah, I do it for the fun, I don't keep the exorbiant cash, I do it well, and I'll go back for my team if they're close by and getting killed.

So what's wrong with that? I see plenty of 'rambos' like that.

Upvote 0
Forgot this in my earlier post, and seeing as it hasn't been approved yet...

I do team games as there are more Zed, and I enjoy the experience of other players being there, even if I do not directly act with them.

In my opinion I AM a successful Rambo on Hard Difficulty, Suicidal would be impossible.

And I pride myself on being entirely self-suffiicient, what you take as me running back to the team to have you deal with something, is really just me backing up while I reload, or getting a minimum distance before I deal with that Fleshpound.

And I deal with more then my fair share of Fleshpounds and Scrakes, especially on later waves, so no, I don't make it harder on my team.

I just question why people have a problem with successful rambos, if you're going to argue it's too easy, then rage at the sharpshooters first why don't you?

Upvote 0
Well its mixed feelings

Theres times when I have to rambo alot. Alot to keep the team alive! Players who fall faster than lewie the fly.

I find alot of people rambo nowdays in the sharpshooter perk. But I play alot in Hard or Suicidal difficulty. And most of the time they get themselves killed.

But the most annoying thing, is when giving the new guy monies, then he goes off on his owned to get killed if not the first 30 seconds of the round. Then rage quits and leaves the server. That pisses me off more than anything

Upvote 0
My job isn't to save you, or babysit you, or make sure you get all the ammo. My job is to stay alive while killing the most zombies I can.
Well I don't wanna play with you non-healing, silent, killcount-crazy moron then.

You know, if you keep the team alive by, well, doing some teamwork like stopping to shoot those 3 clots and actually healing your teammate with 10 health right next to you or shooting the 2 crawlers behind your nonsuspecting teammate, the game suddenly becomes more enjoyable because that behavior usually spreads over to your teammates who then in turn try to help you too if you need it, making the game more fun for everyone.

I'm so tired of people who don't care about doing "boring stuff" like healing, leaving me running around, bleeding all over the place, screaming for needles with 20 hp after a fleshie-hug or siren-surround-sound just to get 5 more kills.

It's a team game.
If your teammates die right next to you because you were to busy being kill-greedy, you are to blame for that.
Your job is not to just stay alive while killing most zombies, your job is to stay alive and try keeping everyone else alive.
Unless they run off alone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Literally, the best thing you can do for your team is be self-sufficient. Personal performance is ALWAYS more important than teamwork. The goal of the game is to win, not have an even dispersal of kills and money. If you can win, but have to leave someone to die, then you do it - I'd rather die a round for the sake of a clear than lose the entire wave. I'm tired of people whining because I didn't save them. My job isn't to save you, or babysit you, or make sure you get all the ammo. My job is to stay alive while killing the most zombies I can.

Ah yes, good point. That reminds me of all those times where I was helping someone out, but the situation spiraled out of control. Too many zeds surrounding us, but mostly him, so what I do is make the rational choice to sacrifice him to keep myself alive. Sometimes, you look at a guy and just say, "There's no way he can make it out of that, even with my help." So you high-tail it out of there and flee the premises, hoping that after he's dead you'll have a better chance taking out a stream rather than a swarm.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, good point. That reminds me of all those times where I was helping someone out, but the situation spiraled out of control. Too many zeds surrounding us, but mostly him, so what I do is make the rational choice to sacrifice him to keep myself alive. Sometimes, you look at a guy and just say, "There's no way he can make it out of that, even with my help." So you high-tail it out of there and flee the premises, hoping that after he's dead you'll have a better chance taking out a stream rather than a swarm.

I totally agree with you, there's been at least one situation like that, that i've had.

Like the one time on Waterworks when my entire team got swarmed on normal and died. I was a zerker, with a katana i think, and i didn't know about the stun ability of it. So i whittled down the wave to 2 scrakes, then picked up a LAR. I headshotted the scrake with something like all 10 shots and killed it without it raging. I was so happy that happened. I cleared the wave and the game continued as normal. I totally believe in and agree that ramboing when you think the person(s) have no chance of survival and that you'd be better off running the hell outta there. :)

Upvote 0
The two aren't mutually exclusive, and if "survival" is the goal, then by the numbers, ramboing is the single stupidest thing you could do.

All that "I'm so good so more money for me means the team does better" stops meaning anything after wave 4. If someone is l33t by themselves, then they're only screwing the rest of the team by not adding their amazing talent to the rest of the group's performance.

Forget everything else, the principle of "more warm bodies between me and them" also makes it an intelligent choice for survival and "winning."

I agree - they're not mutually exclusive at all. If you do well, then your team does well. If you can rambo and take everything out, then that saves your team mates from dying, your medic from having to frantically triage the situation, and frees up everyone's ammo.

You can't perform well individually without adding to the team's performance. We're not all playing in a vacuum - every zombie I kill is one less that could kill you. If I can go off alone and kill them all, then why shouldn't I?

If you can, do it. Most can't, so they shouldn't.

Well I don't wanna play with you non-healing, silent, killcount-crazy moron then.

You know, if you keep the team alive by, well, doing some teamwork like stopping to shoot those 3 clots and actually healing your teammate with 10 health right next to you or shooting the 2 crawlers behind your nonsuspecting teammate, the game suddenly becomes more enjoyable because that behavior usually spreads over to your teammates who then in turn try to help you too if you need it, making the game more fun for everyone.

I'm so tired of people who don't care about doing "boring stuff" like healing, leaving me running around, bleeding all over the place, screaming for needles with 20 hp after a fleshie-hug or siren-surround-sound just to get 5 more kills.

It's a team game.
If your teammates die right next to you because you were to busy being kill-greedy, you are to blame for that.
Your job is not to just stay alive while killing most zombies, your job is to stay alive and try keeping everyone else alive.
Unless they run off alone.

No one's saying you have to ignore your team mates. Chances are if I'm the only one not dead with clots all over him then I'm already the kill leader.

Prioritize what you kill; help team mates in trouble; perform your perks niche. But one thing that most of you seem to be unable to grasp is that if you die and no one healed you or shot the zombies near you, IT'S 100% YOUR FAULT!!!

A poor player will die to a horde of clots and then blame everyone else.
A good player will die to a horde of clots and then apologize to everyone else for dying so stupidly, and try to make up for it.

We are NOT the reason you died. YOU are.

Upvote 0
In my opinion I AM a successful Rambo on Hard Difficulty, Suicidal would be impossible.

I dare to disagree :p

I think the easiest way to rambo suicidal would be with berserker due his speed and "clot resistance". You can just run through and chop some heads off on the way, the only way you could die is by a raging fleshpound but if you dont rage them it should be fine. Husks and sirens can be a problem too but if you take a crossbow with you problem solved :p

I dont rambo much myself if at all, but theres been some occasions when I had to take out 60+ zeds when the rest of the team died, and it worked out pretty well with zerker just running around the map. Medic would do fine too but he doesnt get any weapon bonuses and if a clot graps you its game over most likely.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you can rambo and take everything out, then that saves your team mates from dying, your medic from having to frantically triage the situation, and frees up everyone's ammo.
Yes, you save them having to play the game at all. All the stuff you just mentioned is called "playing the game." Some people even dare to call it fun. Please save us from the fun.

We're not all playing in a vacuum - every zombie I kill is one less that could kill you. If I can go off alone and kill them all, then why shouldn't I?
You conveniently overlook the other side of that argument. Every bullet you're not shooting at the specimen attacking your teammates directly is one less bullet they might need when it counts. The game is balanced by the end waves to throw enough specimen at you, you get overwhelmed if people don't have ammo, or if they're not freaking there in the first place. It used to be more of an issue before the update, but it's still an issue and gets more important the higher up the difficulty you go. Total specimen count? Who cares? The specimen in front of me are my immediate concern.

Except they're not there....because you're "helping." So the game becomes sitting there watching the wave count go down, or turning into a rambo yourself just to stay occupied. When the numbers finally pick up enough so everyone gets something to shoot...you get that right combination that pretty much requires your whole team being there or you all die, like 3 Skrakes and 2 FPs coming from multiple directions.

At this point in the game, when level 4 perks are the norm, weapons are uber and people know how to play, you're not doing anyone any favors. They're just sitting there going "where the hell are all the specimen" or dying and wishing they had actual teammates, instead of a guy running around justifying being alone as a good thing.

It's just an extension of the same lone wolf crap people do by default in competitive MP shooters. Sadly, now, everyone has the perks and the kickass weapons so they aren't getting penalized for it anymore. I can only hope we get teleporting specimen in an update, with a tentacle grappling arm.

In our group, the general rule is rambo if you want for waves 1 and 2. On wave 3 and 4, it's time to quit screwing around and play seriously. Sometimes it's worth the effort. Sometimes it isn't. But I know I wouldn't still be playing KF if I didn't have people to play with who took team work seriously.

I guess my real question is this though. Why does anyone play on servers if they don't want to play with a team? The higher HPs and specimen count? If that's the case, TWI should just make a hardcore solo mode with 6-man hps and numbers of specimen. Rambos don't even have to go through the pretense of helping out then, they can be in their own little world.

And I see far more medic rambos on suicidal than anything else. The insane damage soak on the armor keeps the nimble alive the whole match, and they don't have to kite for pure survival as much because of the heals. Add an M14 or a crossbow, and they are golden. Most 'zerkers tend to die when a husk snipes them twice in a row.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, you save them having to play the game at all. All the stuff you just mentioned is called "playing the game." Some people even dare to call it fun. Please save us from the fun.

You conveniently overlook the other side of that argument. Every bullet you're not shooting at the specimen attacking your teammates directly is one less bullet they might need when it counts. The game is balanced by the end waves to throw enough specimen at you, you get overwhelmed if people don't have ammo, or if they're not freaking there in the first place. It used to be more of an issue before the update, but it's still an issue and gets more important the higher up the difficulty you go. Total specimen count? Who cares? The specimen in front of me are my immediate concern.

Except they're not there....because you're "helping." So the game becomes sitting there watching the wave count go down, or turning into a rambo yourself just to stay occupied. When the numbers finally pick up enough so everyone gets something to shoot...you get that right combination that pretty much requires your whole team being there or you all die, like 3 Skrakes and 2 FPs coming from multiple directions.

At this point in the game, when level 4 perks are the norm, weapons are uber and people know how to play, you're not doing anyone any favors. They're just sitting there going "where the hell are all the specimen" or dying and wishing they had actual teammates, instead of a guy running around justifying being alone as a good thing.

It's just an extension of the same lone wolf crap people do by default in competitive MP shooters. Sadly, now, everyone has the perks and the kickass weapons so they aren't getting penalized for it anymore. I can only hope we get teleporting specimen in an update, with a tentacle grappling arm.

In our group, the general rule is rambo if you want for waves 1 and 2. On wave 3 and 4, it's time to quit screwing around and play seriously. Sometimes it's worth the effort. Sometimes it isn't. But I know I wouldn't still be playing KF if I didn't have people to play with who took team work seriously.

I guess my real question is this though. Why does anyone play on servers if they don't want to play with a team? The higher HPs and specimen count? If that's the case, TWI should just make a hardcore solo mode with 6-man hps and numbers of specimen. Rambos don't even have to go through the pretense of helping out then, they can be in their own little world.

And I see far more medic rambos on suicidal than anything else. The insane damage soak on the armor keeps the nimble alive the whole match, and they don't have to kite for pure survival as much because of the heals. Add an M14 or a crossbow, and they are golden. Most 'zerkers tend to die when a husk snipes them twice in a row.

Your entire argument consists of "stop going off alone and killing everything, I'm tired and annoyed of my tactic of sitting in one place and waiting for specimens to come to me doesn't work if you're not with us."

Killing Floor is a game. Play it how you like, and don't ever let anyone tell you that what you're doing is wrong. As long as you're having fun, and it's not at the cost of someone else (except for competitive exclusion, obviously), then you're not doing anything wrong.

Don't tell me what I can and cannot do. Especially when I'm still alive, and you died because your first instinct was to call for help instead of figure out a way out of the situation you're in (or God forbid think ahead and not get into the situation in the first place).

Upvote 0