• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Network Bug (here me out)

Anzu

Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2009
www.zomgclan.com
Ok, now this is going to sound like a general problem with my router or ISP, but hear me out.

When I play in Killing Floor the game randomly drops. I get disconnected from the server, from Steam, from Skype, and can't load web pages or anything for a min.

Yes, these are all problems that seem to be not Killing Floor related, but it truly only happens in Killing Floor.

I've been playing Bioshock 2 multiplayer a lot recently, I play TF2, MW2, ect ... and none of those have problems. Sure I get lag from time to time, but somehow Killing Floor kills my entire internet. I've experimented with it a bit, and I can count on KF dropping mid game almost every single round (that I'm not hosting with a listening server).

I don't think this is a problem with Killing Floor necessarily, and it is definitely not a problem with my internet, perhaps there is a bug in Killing Floor that causes my network to overload or something? I don't know...

Suggestions? Ideas? Other known problems?
Inb4 my internet sucks...

Router:
Router Model: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/27/09) mega - build 12533M VINT Eko

Modem:
System: ARRIS DOCSIS 2.0 / PacketCable 1.0 Touchstone Telephony Modem HW_REV: 02

Vendor: Arris Interactive, L.L.C.

Bootr: 6.03

SW_REV: 6.1.51I

Model: TM502G

Product Type: 00000006 010a3aa2

Product Release: 00000002

Flash Part: AM29LV320MB

Download Revision: 2

Firmware Revision: 6.1.51I

Serial Number: 7CUBMV6RJ203506

Battery Charger FW Rev: 02.21

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With only Killing Floor though? That just doesn't add up in my mind.

Yes, I forgot that all games behave exactly alike, especially unreal's legacy netcode and source's.

I gave you a troubleshooting step to identify whether it is in fact the router, first CONFIRM that the problem lies in the router and then we can talk.

If it crashes while directly connected to the modem, then it's either your ISP, modem, or computer. However, since the most common problem would be the device ROUTING the traffic I would assume it is the router's fault.

Upvote 0
Ok this is what I did and what happened:

1) I plugged an ethernet cable into the modem and I got consistent lag throughout the game that I always do with ethernet cables due to my drivers never working right.

2) I plugged the cable into the router to double check the ethernet problem and it is still there. Yes my drivers are all up to date - just some problem in Windows 7 with my motherboard.

3) Went back into the modem to test if I dropped, and it still happened - and I believe just as often.

Sorry if my above statement pissed you off, but it would make sense that router problems would appear in multiple different games - not just in one game, even though this game may do its networking differently.

Upvote 0
I actually have this same problem. I can't even connect to games in my state w/o dealing with heavy lag and bad lag spikes. Meanwhile, my friends on the same ISP have no issues at all. But I'm on a Netgear614v9 with the propietary firmware. Maybe its a Windows 7 issue?

I believe that some motherboards, much like ours, do not have perfect Windows 7 Ethernet drivers quite yet. You could also be paying for a crappy internet connection with poor bandwidth, download, and upload speeds. Try talking to your ISP and ask if your internet is sufficient for "pro" online gaming.

Upvote 0
I believe that some motherboards, much like ours, do not have perfect Windows 7 Ethernet drivers quite yet. You could also be paying for a crappy internet connection with poor bandwidth, download, and upload speeds. Try talking to your ISP and ask if your internet is sufficient for "pro" online gaming.
Motherboard: nVidia nForce 730i
Download speed: 1 Mbps minimum to 10Mbps peak
Upload speed: 40 Kbps to 600+ Kbps peak

My internet connection *does* suck, but I'm on the second to best (10 Mbps) plan and there is only another more expensive ISP available, which I'd rather not resort to. However, even with this connection I should be able to play with a stable connection, and not with jumps from a 100-300 ping to 800-999 at random intervals.

I've tried forwarding ports 7707-8075, 20560-28852, 55414-65418 in the range of ports I've seen KF use. I've tried disabling/enabling UPnP, setting my desktop as the DMZ server, disabling NAT Filtering, etc, and I still get ping jumps at any time.

Upvote 0
My roommate actually had this problem, but it was a general drivers issue with Windows 7. The nVidia motherboards doesn't seem to like Win 7 as far as LAN connections go. He would sometimes randomly get disconnected from the internet for no reason while I'm stable 24/7. Chances are, if your motherboard is nvidia, you may have this issue.

Upvote 0