• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medic weapon idea - Riot Shield

Does it really matter if he stacks those shields around the trader? Because, like you said, every other perk can do it with their weapons too. If Zerker did it he'd still have to get them from the trader therefor risking his life by going solo (assuming the rest of the team is camping elsewhere). And its not like he could afford stacking too many shields around traders on Hard/Suicidal, if they cost around 500. Why 500 you ask? Because armor costs 300 and we assume the shield lasts longer, but it cant be as much as 1000 either because then it wouldnt be of any use (after all it breaks lol..).

Or they could implement a repair option for the shield just like armor currently has, so if your shield didnt actually break during the waves you could repair it to safe up some money. Lets say the actual shield costs 1000, but repairing it from 5% to 100% would be eg. 300. If the shield actually breaks during the wave youd have to buy a new one for full cost of 1000.

Yea but then youd be stuck with a heavy shield and couldnt get rid of it in mid wave if you needed more space, unless you broke it intentionally. Pipebombs can still be dropped when you arm them, you just cant pick them up ofc.

I know I play biotics and west london alot...and with the zerkers extra speed he could throw the shields where he would need them without too much risk. Espeically if you know the "secrets" of the trader on west london.

Upvote 0
I know I play biotics and west london alot...and with the zerkers extra speed he could throw the shields where he would need them without too much risk. Espeically if you know the "secrets" of the trader on west london.

You mean the buggy trader lol?

Anyway, like I said, just make the actual shield cost a sh1tload of money and make it repairable with a reduced cost. That way, you couldnt afford buying multiple shields in harder difficulties, and since the shield would still be breakable you couldnt use it to block anything forever.

Oh and I think he should take small amounts of damage from bigger enemies even tho he was using the shield. Like, 10% damage from fleshpound attacks and 5% from scrake attacks, so you could actually die if on low hp. Smaller zeds couldnt penetrate the shield, except for siren who doesnt have to attack the shield to damage you.

Useful - Yet not overpowered or balance breaking :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You mean the buggy trader lol?

Anyway, like I said, just make the actual shield cost a sh1tload of money and make it repairable with a reduced cost. That way, you couldnt afford buying multiple shields in harder difficulties, and since the shield would still be breakable you couldnt use it to block anything forever.

Oh and I think he should take small amounts of damage from bigger enemies even tho he was using the shield. Like, 10% damage from fleshpound attacks and 5% from scrake attacks, so you could actually die if on low hp. Smaller zeds couldnt penetrate the shield, except for siren who doesnt have to attack the shield to damage you.

Useful - Yet not overpowered or balance breaking :)

A high cost would go along way in fixing shield spamming. But I gotta disagree with the damage you were talkign about. On higher levels (hard/suicidal) a raging FP can one shot you if you don't have body armor I think the shield, which is basically just extra body armor should break instantly if you try to block a raging FP attack. So you can stop it take some damage but the shield should instantly break if you block his main attack.

Upvote 0
A high cost would go along way in fixing shield spamming. But I gotta disagree with the damage you were talkign about. On higher levels (hard/suicidal) a raging FP can one shot you if you don't have body armor I think the shield, which is basically just extra body armor should break instantly if you try to block a raging FP attack. So you can stop it take some damage but the shield should instantly break if you block his main attack.

Either way, its still a tool for tanking. Wouldn't spamming be most useful in the later waves were most players have loads a' money? And if it can't be used to stop a fleshpound attack why not just use a gun to keep the zeds at bay instead? You could argue about play styles but, come on, who wants to stand around with a shield taking hits while the other players get all the fun?

Upvote 0
Either way, its still a tool for tanking. Wouldn't spamming be most useful in the later waves were most players have loads a' money? And if it can't be used to stop a fleshpound attack why not just use a gun to keep the zeds at bay instead? You could argue about play styles but, come on, who wants to stand around with a shield taking hits while the other players get all the fun?

Well I said it would stop a single FP attack...but it would just break. And, I have always said the problem with the shield was shield spamming...if it breaks oh well just pick up the other ones. The high cost would stop that though. Unlike someone elses suggestion of non breaking which would mean zerker walls.

Upvote 0
You could make the shield unbreakable, pair it will small weapon (singles, knife, machete, maybe some others) but have specs deal damage against "arm strength" so that strength would decrease while you are blocking (constantly) and when the shield gets hit (damage based). Solves the issue of spam and gameplay. Player would take any damage over arm strength.

200 arm strength
-10/sec blocking (blocks for 20 sec with no hits)
+5/sec (recharges in 40 seconds)

Upvote 0
You could make the shield unbreakable, pair it will small weapon (singles, knife, machete, maybe some others) but have specs deal damage against "arm strength" so that strength would decrease while you are blocking (constantly) and when the shield gets hit (damage based). Solves the issue of spam and gameplay. Player would take any damage over arm strength.

200 arm strength
-10/sec blocking (blocks for 20 sec with no hits)
+5/sec (recharges in 40 seconds)

This is interesting but would there be any increases for lv 6...or was that a lv. 6 stat? Aside from alternating blockers (which people would probably still do) this could help fix things.

Upvote 0
This is interesting but would there be any increases for lv 6...or was that a lv. 6 stat? Aside from alternating blockers (which people would probably still do) this could help fix things.

Give all players:
100 ARM (arm robustness meter?)
-10 per sec when blocking
+1 per sec when not blocking
ie a temporary FP/Scrake measure

Berserkers:
+100 ARM (at all levels)
+1 per sec per level 3,4,5,6 when not blocking (so max +5)
can use fire ax with shield at level 5 (might be hard to code this though)
so you can block

Well you have to make ARM a player stat so they can't pitch the shield then pick it back up. Still has issues with coding so it can be used with other weapons. Each combination would have to be assigned their own weapon slot. The easier way would be to give the shield a slow, low damage melee.

Upvote 0
I think this is an interesting idea, and if it doesn't work perhaps a deployable barrier would work, as in you need to drop it to use it and it acts as a welded door, and even though it only has about the width of a person it can slow down zeds by forcing them to mvoe around it (or an FP can smash through it in two hits).

Upvote 0

Yea well I was just suggesting something, I dont really care as long as its actually usefull yet not too powerful.

I think it could break from one hit on suicidal, but two hits on hard (with 5-10% of shield left from first attack), two hits on normal (with 40% shield left from first attack) and 3 hits on beginner or so. And when you try to block with a shield at 5% youd receive rest of the damage as armor/health damage, if you know what I mean. That way you could actually block 1 hit from FP on hard (and below) without breaking the shield, but still render it pretty much useless until the trader time. Just thinking about the money loss if it broke every wave ><

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, I think you guys are going down the wrong direction: berserkers were meant to tank damage, but as it is right now, they just get killed all the time. A proper shield SHOULD NOT BREAK. It should have disadvantages instead. For example: don't apply the melee speed bonus to zerkers using it.

Not sure if weapons should be allowed with it, but if they are, keep them small. The shield should be effective against everything except siren, bloater, and patriarch rockets/melee. FPs should be able to knock away the shield user and perhaps even temporarily disable the shield or stun the user, but it shouldn't cause damage. You can even use zerker level to reduce the "stun" time and increase the area protected by the shield.

Other classes can use the shield but will get a very short "disabled" time after they get hit by ANYTHING, whereas the zerker only gets it facing FPs (or maybe scrakes too, depending on balance)

Destructible shields just aren't going to be useful though.

Upvote 0
Destructible shields just aren't going to be useful though.

They would, with the right settings... >_>

If your shield was unbreakable, you could just block some path forever until a fleshpound comes along, and if you have a sharpshooter in the team (when wouldnt you??) its one shot kill from behind the shielding zerker... With multiple berserkers you could create indestructible barriers somewhere and just camp safely with the rest of the team killing zeds from behind.

Upvote 0
They would, with the right settings... >_>

If your shield was unbreakable [...] you could create indestructible barriers somewhere
Yes if you make no qualifications on the weapon. Give the weapon a bash, add a flashlight-like recharge to blocking with it (ie it charges when not in use and decreases when being used) which takes damage from specs. This way it limits it's use but makes it reasonable to have fun using it while keeping the coding reasonable for TWI so it might actually get implemented.

The sheild should be a 8 ft tall tower sheild[...]
Just no. Please read the thread, or at least the last few posts, if you are going to bother resplying.

Upvote 0
I'm always in support of zerker getting a riot shield. As others have already suitably covered: yes it should break eventually. I support shield bashing.

You give up katana damage/speed for better tanking, there's a happy balance of give and take. The machete is still serviceable on suicidal, and using it or small-arms with a shield is an even trade in my opinion, while also bringing some actual use to the machete, which otherwise never gets serious use.

...I'm also support a medic being able to use it and gain some benefit, because, hey, I've been saved by a medic throwing themselves in front of a rampaging FP plenty of times...just as long as the medic still has enough carry capacity left to pack their medic gun.

The riot shield has always been an interesting idea to me- it cooks up some devilishly interesting team setups in my mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah for shield equipped berserker, they should be limited to one handed weapon in their right hand ala that shield in CS. So by default that's 9mm and knife, upgradable to machete and handcannon, and you shouldn't be able to put away the shield if you have it equipped. Iron sight button to guard/unguard the shield, shield only protects you when guarding, and you can only use your right hand weapon when unguarding.

Reactions: Lacedaemonius
Upvote 0
Well if you make it unbreakable, you wouldn't be able to just sit in a corner and be invincible, How would you kill the screamer or bloater in the back if ur blocking two gorefasts? you would still die if ur cornered

Yes, alone. But with a 6 man team youd have 5 teammates taking care of the other hallway while you block the other. Would make it too easy for teams to camp anywhere.

Yes if you make no qualifications on the weapon. Give the weapon a bash, add a flashlight-like recharge to blocking with it (ie it charges when not in use and decreases when being used) which takes damage from specs. This way it limits it's use but makes it reasonable to have fun using it while keeping the coding reasonable for TWI so it might actually get implemented.

That would work aswell.

Upvote 0