• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ok lets nail the firebug incendiary ammo idea once and for all

but if they dont exist in real life, then they are out as well.
Should we remove specimens from the game? They don't exist in real life.....:rolleyes:

I'm all for Incendiary ammo for the Firebug. The way it would balance is that majority of the weapons that can make good use of it, leave the Firebug unable to carry the flamethrower alongside it.

Upvote 0
Should we remove specimens from the game? They don't exist in real life.....:rolleyes:

I'm all for Incendiary ammo for the Firebug. The way it would balance is that majority of the weapons that can make good use of it, leave the Firebug unable to carry the flamethrower alongside it.

Never actually researched incendiary ammo, so I went away and looked it up. :)
Apparantly they are used for igniting fuel and muntions by having an explosive or flammable mixture in the bullets tip, designed to ignite on impact.

In the case of specimens obviously it would burn around the wound and therefore cause more damage and pain (Which I assume even though they love pain, would still have an effect on killing them :)).

However that does mean that since it requires a cap and a shotgun shell merely fires pellets, it would be impossible to give the shotgun incendiary ammo.

Incendiary ammo does however mean that the bullet streaks can be coloured differently, as they do light up due to friction with the air. So it would have a visible difference in game.

Its obviously mixed feedback for incendiary ammo, so duno whether it'll even be looked at by Devs, but at least I've suggested it officially if they do :)

Upvote 0
A flaregun can reasonably be expected to light zeds on fire, so I'd go for that as a backup weapon. If it can double as a light source, even better.

Exactly. Id imagine it to work something like this:
1. You shoot at a specimen, and reload the weapon (assuming it has single rocket or w/e its called)
2. The specimen takes some damage from the impact and sets on fire, causing damage over time such as the flamethrower.
3. Also, it works as a lightsource for some period of time, so you could actually shoot the rocket on ground (or in the sky as its supposed to, right?) and it would light up the area for eg. 10 seconds.

Maybe it could have sort of a blinding effect if shot straight in the face of the specimen, so they would kinda get confused and run in circles LOL, except for scrakes and fleshpounds which would enrage and attack the nearest person.

Btw yeah I know its kinda off-topic since this was about incendiary ammo, but I think its just a bad idea if they wouldnt even set specimens on fire (might be unrealistic if it did but still). Firebug needs a secondary fire based weapon, not incendiary ammo (unless it came along with a new firebug weapon)

Upvote 0
My idea of a firebug new weapon:

The M202 FLASH

m202a2_fire.jpg

Why?

Inflammable/Explosive Ammunition
Ranged attack
Really, really bad-***! \,,/

This thing in action:

YouTube - M202 FLASH

Upvote 0
Adding incendiary ammo to every bullet weapon (or lighting the tip of a crossbow bolt - why did you cut that possibility out?) to replace the need for a tier two weapon goes against the design concepts seen throughout the rest of the game.

That is, any class can purchase any other class' weapons. The difference is that a cross-classed weapon is less effective. If you try to create a virtual second tier weapon for the firebug by giving all bullets fire damage, you've violated this idea.

I think the solution, if any, would be to add a weapon for the firebug that fires incendiary rounds. This weapon would be accessible to any class, but most effective when used by a firebug (that's how the game works, right?). I would imagine something like a submachine gun with low accuracy firing flaming rounds that don't do a lot of direct impact damage as a normal gun, but more than a flamethrower does.

For those of you against having bullets that light enemies on fire for the sake of realism, remember that a real crossbow bolt is not twenty times more powerful than a bullet. It's a game, and I never felt stupid or appalled when I ignited people with the Hell-Fire in Timeshift.

Upvote 0
They should add a crappy shotgun that has a slow reload speed and can only use Dragon's Breath shotgun shells.

Saw this in another suggestion, with some balancing and testing it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

That video is a fake, the dagon's breath is a pyrotechnical round, it can't lit a pile of wood alone. That pile of wood was filled with gasoline and the sparks that were produced lit the gas and burned the wood. Burning Zirconium is not enough to kill a living being, maybe hurt badly, but not kill.

And why a short-range gun for a class that already have one?

Upvote 0
They should add a crappy shotgun that has a slow reload speed and can only use Dragon's Breath shotgun shells.

LOL, thats kinda cool. But Im not sure wether I want another shotgun in the game, dispite of it shooting different shells. I think this would probably work just like the hunting shotgun but with fire based ammunation...

Id still rather see that flaregun, just for the sake of variety.

Upvote 0
For those of you against having bullets that light enemies on fire for the sake of realism, remember that a real crossbow bolt is not twenty times more powerful than a bullet. It's a game, and I never felt stupid or appalled when I ignited people with the Hell-Fire in Timeshift.

I think I would have to disagree with you there... I'm pretty sure, given the size of a crossbow bolt compared to a bullet, a modern crossbow can fire a bolt with incredible velocity... certainly enough to pierce the skull.

They are even used in elephant hunting have been known to kill in 1 shot. I'd imagine the larger bolt would inflict more tissue damage than 1 bullet anyday. ;)

In regards to giving the firebug incendiary ammo as standard for weapons rather than a new weapon, I dont think I would disagree with the idea, but my 2 concerns are that firstly the firebug only has 4 weight blocks spare, and would this new weapon be more accesible for Low level players?

An SMG could work as the Mp7M is only 3 weight blocks after all, but it would obviously not carry as much power as the Ak-47, or M14, which doesn't really leave it much room to be more powerful than the FT, but less than these.

I agree its a different way of giving a tier 2 weapon, which is why I stress the point its only a raltiuvely low damage boost to increase his functionality when he's low on ammo, or can't afford the FT at early levels. Furthermore the firebugs weight restrictions dont leave anything heavier than a handcannon to be carried with his flamethrower.

I see your arguement, and to be honest the idea of a specific incendiary ammo weapon is a very interesting idea, but I would also like it to be at least believable when it comes to its power :)

P.S. I did think of having a arrow tip on the Xbow that would behave like incendiary ammo, but the Xbow with its high weight would never be carried with the FT, and if you had any sense you'd take it as a sharpie anyway. ONLY way it would be useful is for the Bug to drop his FT and switch to the Xbow when he needs it against FPs and such... which lets face it the firebug is not meant to excel against :D

Upvote 0
I see your arguement, and to be honest the idea of a specific incendiary ammo weapon is a very interesting idea, but I would also like it to be at least believable when it comes to its power :)

P.S. I did think of having a arrow tip on the Xbow that would behave like incendiary ammo, but the Xbow with its high weight would never be carried with the FT, and if you had any sense you'd take it as a sharpie anyway. ONLY way it would be useful is for the Bug to drop his FT and switch to the Xbow when he needs it against FPs and such... which lets face it the firebug is not meant to excel against :D

I've been doing some looking on wiki for real-world incendiary bullets but what I can find is that they're essentially hmg/anti-material rifle calibres. They're simply too big to reasonably use 4 slots and you need to be prone.

There's also the problem of potentially encroaching on sharpshooter territory by making the fb too good at taking out big targets. While I can't imagine a team with 3/4 firebugs, a good team could probably make it work by rotating the fb actually firing.

Upvote 0
This could work with some tweaking. Maybe make it work like this:

Level 0: No guns with incendiary rounds.
Level 1: 9MM gets incendiary rounds.
Level 2: Bullpup gets incendiary rounds.
Level 3: They get incendiary grenades here so no guns.
Level 4: AK-47 gets incendiary rounds.
Level 5: Xbow launches flaming bolts.
Level 6: M79 has incendiary grenades.

But that's just how I would do it.

Upvote 0
right...lets let the second ****tiest perk in the game be able to lvl with any weapon...what an awesome idea...maybe then we can have all lvl 6 firebugs join suicidal games and **** the game up even more than usual...

Read more than the first 2 lines of the original post before opening mouth.

It would also ONLY effect bullet based weapons, and unlike the mod, will NOT set anything on fire.

All melee is out, crossbow is out, grenades launchers and rockets are out, and pipe bombs are out. I dont know if shotgun shells can even have incendiary ammo, but if they dont exist in real life, then they are out as well.

This would mean the firebug can gain his bonus with:
9mm
Handcannon
Bullpup
Ak-47
SCAR
Mp7M
Lever-action rifle
M14 EBR

Also note that the firebug would not have any additional ammo, clip size, discount or recoil reduction for any of these weapons. He wont even be able to carry most of them anyway with his flamethrower.

The raw damage of the gun used is kept the same, however the firebug gains an additional 15% fire damage bonus to his rounds for any bullet based weapon he uses. The normal damage of the gun would not contribute to his perk progression since it isn't fire damage (lets face it, a hot bullet is still a bullet at the end of the day). His perks fire damage increase would multiply this effect and produce damage increases as follows:

|___2__|__20%_|__18.0%_|
|___3__|__30%_|__19.5%_|
|___4__|__40%_|__21.0%_|
|___5__|__50%_|__22.5%_|
|___6__|__60%_|__24.0%_|

PB = Perks usual fire damage increase

FD = Fire damage added to the normal damage of the weapon

This would allow the firebug to get a start to his fire damage right from the word go, without giving him the ability to cut through scores of enemies effortlessly. Bear in mind that even at level 6 a 24% damage increase would be equivelant to between level 2 or 3 of another perk. And this bonus would have next to 0 effect on husks.

I dunno about you but I would rather take a 60% increase damage with the flamethrower thana meager 24% boost on the M14 without even a headshot bonus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the FB there should definitely be either a new weapon (flaregun/incendiary round gun) or the Handcannon could shoot incendiary rounds for the FB only (similar to grenades) and do less impact damage. The zed should ignite and burn over time with perk's flame dmg boost. Such a weapon should have a low rate of fire but be easier to aim than the flamethrower for single targets, thus providing a gameplay alternative (precision single target burning as opposed to penetrating/ spreading flame).

Incendiary Handcannon or a flaregun would accomplish this.

Upvote 0
I've been doing some looking on wiki for real-world incendiary bullets but what I can find is that they're essentially hmg/anti-material rifle calibres. They're simply too big to reasonably use 4 slots and you need to be prone.

There's also the problem of potentially encroaching on sharpshooter territory by making the fb too good at taking out big targets. While I can't imagine a team with 3/4 firebugs, a good team could probably make it work by rotating the fb actually firing.

Hmmm, your right. Gotta admit I didn't know that incendiary ammo had to be such a large bullet but I guess now that I think about it, it makes sense. The bullet needs to carry ignitable material and a 9mm simply wouldn't have the size avaible. Nor the deagle obviously.

Fair play, I withdraw my suggestion :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm, your right. Gotta admit I didn't know that incendiary ammo had to be such a large bullet but I guess now that I think about it, it makes sense. The bullet needs to carry ignitable material and a 9mm simply wouldn't have the size avaible. Nor the deagle obviously.

Fair play, I withdraw my suggestion :)

20rds - 9mm Incendiary Ammo $69.95
20rds - 40 S&W Incendiary Ammo $69.95
20rds - 45 ACP Incendiary Ammo $69.95

[URL]http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/incendiary-ammo-incendiary-pistol-ammo[/URL]

Upvote 0