• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Firebug ideals

scruzzel

Feb 6, 2010
Hi,
I've been playing for quite awhile now, and i notice that while commando, support, berserker, etc, all have a range of really cool weapons to select from, the firebug has only one primary weapon.
So I was thinking, why not add in a bunch of new weapons?

Like the AA12, SCAR and Katana, maybe add a top tier weapon to work towards to.

I.E
The Flare Gun; set enemies on fire when u shoot them.

A machine gun that fires incendiary ammo.

Molotov cocktails; u can decide to light and then throw, or toss them without lighting them, and then igniting the area with the flamethrower.

Just a humble ideal. :)

Ugh... We've seen these ideas a thousand times. I don't mean to hate on you personally, but those also aren't really solutions to the "problem." The most frequent complaints, if I recall correctly, are that Firebugs cannot take down Scrakes/Fleshpounds, run out of ammo quickly, and to a lesser degree, it is annoying how long enemies can run around without burning out.

All of your suggestions combined solve a grand total of ONE of those problems; namely, the ammo problem. Lighting more specimens on fire isn't the problem, which is what your molotov and flare gun are designed to do, and I seriously doubt an "incendiary machine gun" would have a very high DPS - certainly not higher than a Commando's. On the other hand, simply increasing fire damage could potentially make the Firebug overpowered, roasting huge swaths of enemies in instants.

What we need to be asking ourselves, in regards to ALL perks is: Should any given perk be able to solo Hard/Suicidal? By far, the Sharpshooter has the easiest time with the M14 EBR, simply due to overflowing ammo and incredible damage output. On the other hand, the Firebug (probably the worst perk currently) CANNOT, as it simply can't keep up with swarms by itself, as they will close in on the Firebug (don't burn fast enough) and it will have trouble killing the big guys whilst simultaneously keeping the little ones at bay. And even if you could pull that off, you'd run out of ammo.

In MY opinion, the answer to the question should be NO, no class should be able to survive on its own. ....Hm. I could take this rant several paragraphs further regarding how I believe every class should be balanced with respect to the rest, but I don't believe my ideas would get enough viewers in this topic. I will summarize my thoughts on the Firebug by saying that I believe the role it fills is currently ideal; it simply lacks the ammo to keep up. Maybe just another two clips, plus a slightly higher DPS but not much. It's not meant to take down Fleshpounds, and I just use a Katana on Scrakes and Husks, which covers almost everything. If you can get used to the idea of what role you are supposed to fulfill, then the Firebug is a great class for its purpose.

Upvote 0
Yet another firebug thread :S

Theres like 3 in the first page again..

I'll just say the same things Ive said in the other topics. Flaregun and Molotovs would be great.

Vodka bottles he can throw on the ground and then ignite the alcohol with a gunshot would be an option too, as a tier 1 weapon.
Altfire drinks the bottle which makes the vision all blurry.
Drink 3 in a row and you die.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Upvote 0
I think firebug, just like the others, need a higher tier weapon to work towards too, or at least a side weapon to carry around.

The firebug is one of my fav perks, but being limited to ONE weapon gets old very quickly. Someone mentioned that he/she uses the katana to settle the remaining enemies when out of ammo or cornered, though that fixes the specimens, it doesn't contribute to your firebug damage points.

Upvote 0
Changing the way the specimens burn would be great. I understand zeds (and especially the pat) shouldn't burn forever if they're set on fire. But the way it has been changed really sucks (as if the firebug needed that). Why ? Because specimens burn something like 10 seconds (absolutely not accurate figure, but that's not the point) from the moment they're ignited BUT using your flamethrower on an ignited spec won't reset the "burning timer".
So lets say I ignite the pat at the instant X.
The team hurts him and he try to run away at X+8s.
I unload my canister on him so my team will be able to see where the pat goes.
But at X+10 the pat isn't ignited anymore despite the fact that I sprayed enough napalm on him to fry an entire Vietnamese village just 2 seconds ago.

Don't you think it would be much better if setting a spec on fire made the "burning timer" reset ? It certainly won't solve all the firebug's problems but that would be really nice and probably not that hard to code.

Upvote 0
Changing the way the specimens burn would be great. I understand zeds (and especially the pat) shouldn't burn forever if they're set on fire. But the way it has been changed really sucks (as if the firebug needed that). Why ? Because specimens burn something like 10 seconds (absolutely not accurate figure, but that's not the point) from the moment they're ignited BUT using your flamethrower on an ignited spec won't reset the "burning timer".
So lets say I ignite the pat at the instant X.
The team hurts him and he try to run away at X+8s.
I unload my canister on him so my team will be able to see where the pat goes.
But at X+10 the pat isn't ignited anymore despite the fact that I sprayed enough napalm on him to fry an entire Vietnamese village just 2 seconds ago.

Don't you think it would be much better if setting a spec on fire made the "burning timer" reset ? It certainly won't solve all the firebug's problems but that would be really nice and probably not that hard to code.

Its a start, i like the idea.

Upvote 0
This thread is now actually about Firebug ideals.

I'll start:

To reject medium rare as unsanitary and lazy.
To stand tall against Husks when others won't.
To leap into a horde throwing flame grenades because they're the only ones that can.
To test every other weapon's effectiveness since they've already got their's.
To prove that you don't need to move to be good at Killing Floor.

Upvote 0

Great idea, I didn't notice the burn timer problem. That should be an easy fix.

As for weapons, I like the idea of being able to throw down unlit molotovs for later burning. However, in a realistic sense alcohol would evaporate pretty fast, although gas would last longer. A flaregun would be great for igniting single targets and conserving flamethrower ammo.

Upvote 0
I was thinking that since alot of us are for the flare gun ideal, why not go a step further? Like a gun that launches fireworks and set the enemy on fire.

I've tried launching grenades into the sky using the M79 and i realised it sorta resembled a duller, more grey looking version of the 4th of july fireworks, so with little effort and coding, we just might have ourselves a firework gun for the firebug! The damage dealt can be either splash or individual, depending on whichever balances the game out :D

Upvote 0