• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ubisoft's new DRM

In how far is the login thing different from steam? Considering RO, i probably couldnt care less about "offline" play, LAN games dont work there as well. Yet, most here praise Steam to be the greatest thing in history :D

Steam provides a service to the end user that is useful.

While Steams philosophy is the cause of much debate, it has proved its worth over the years and it does have some good features.

These desperate attempts at nailing pirates is going a bit too far, it seems like there is more focus on stopping pirates than there is making some decent games. Current DRM trends go overboard when compared to the measures taken in professional software such as VMWares virtualization software which costs thousands of dollars to licence.

To be fair this new direction by Ubisoft has at least been useful to me and saved me some cash.

Upvote 0
In how far is the login thing different from steam? Considering RO, i probably couldnt care less about "offline" play, LAN games dont work there as well. Yet, most here praise Steam to be the greatest thing in history :D

Night and day, dude.

I wouldn't call Steam DRM in the classical sense of the word. Sure, it sucks that you can't get updates for your game if you don't run Steam, and that you have to provide personal information but it isn't really DRM. At least you don't HAVE to login. For some games you downloaded from Steam you don't even have to run Steam. And you can still install the game on as many PCs you want, you can even burn a copy on DVD. Steam doesn't have anything to do with the games, for the most part it's just a program that lets you download them. I think Steam did more good for PC gaming than bad, overall.

Ubisoft's system on the other hand REQUIRES you to be online and logged in into their DRM 'solution'. And if your connection craps out on you, which happens regularly to many people, you can't even play. Apparently these people forget that not everybody is connected to the internet all the time, let alone that people don't WANT to have to connect to their network.

Also... one day, support for that DRM will stop (unless it has been proven successful because idiots keep buying their games), so there's a big chance that you can't even play those games anymore in 10 years.

I'm not saying that Steam is the best thing since sliced bread. GoG.com is light years ahead of Steam when it comes to privacy, in a "keep it simple, stupid" kind of way. But apart from the fact that Valve keeps your personal information, I wouldn't really call Steam very intrusive. It's not bad.

I think Moyako's analogy is pretty good:

I wonder... if Ubisoft were a book seller too, It will leave a employee in my house to see if i'm the only one reading the book :p

Yeah, and with Steam it's more like: "alright, we need your information before you can buy that book, but once it's in your possession it's yours. And you can read it anytime you want, without being in contact with us."

Anyway, back to Ubisoft. :D

Upvote 0
Played with Crysis and Crysis warhead fine.

Though, my DVD drive broke twice (****ty Samsung).

If your drive was Samsung, that explains it. Their DVD drives are complete trash.

I had Samgung. I guess that explains it, but still weird how it worked fine before installing it and it was like the second the game was installed it broke.

Upvote 0
Still needs to be on m8.

Most Steam games require you to run Steam. But not all of them. If what you say makes Steam a form of DRM, then so be it, but it's a very light one and not very intrusive compared to the badder ones. Besides, Steam is much more than just that. If you hate DRM but do use Steam sometimes, it certainly doesn't make you a hypocrite.

Upvote 0
Steam lets you chat with friends while you are playing, keeps stats, provides servers, updates, and a way for small independent dev teams to release and advertise their products, reducing the costs and offer lower prices (the last part is not so common though)

And it doesn't break your computer or install any rootkits.

You also have to thank Steam because without them TWI wouldn't be where they are now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can't say i'm supriced by this, Ubi has had a real hardon for DRM thease last years, and the draconian stuff mostly at that, which helps explain why there are no recent Ubosoft titles on my shelf (well that, and most of them have been rubbish anyway).

From the publisher point of view it makes sense but it probably will only lead to another video game crash which could still be far away because people seem to enjoy paying way to much for not a lot of quality

It woulden't really be a videogame crash, the consoles are still riding very high, but it could decimate the PC as a gaming platform in the long run, not that the PC can ever be truely killed, it's an open platform, but we may see a time where all thouse AAA production titles wont even bother making a token PC port anymore, and just go Console only.

Upvote 0
Funny how games come closer and closer to just being ports and the only extra frills we pc gamers get to enjoy are weird Orwellian DRM mechanisms.:p
I <3 you Murphy. You know it makes business sense for them to reduce the gaps between console and PC versions though. When people finally accept the same product for both platforms, they can stop spending extra money on development.

Anyways, I'm glad I know about this. I wouldn't be surprised if they back off of their statements after some PR fallout. Or not. I accept Steam because ultimately I could unplug my internet today and still play (most) of the games I own. The only reason I buy games that require an internet connection is because I'm playing MP, not because I need to check in.

So I'll be making informed purchases. I'm sure pirates are going to have a field day writing cracks for this one.

Upvote 0
Funny how games come closer and closer to just being ports and the only extra frills we pc gamers get to enjoy are weird Orwellian DRM mechanisms.:p

Sadly, that's all too true :mad:

They have made such a royal mess of the PC gaming market now, my game purchases have crawled to an allmost compleate halt, and i'm getting quite sick of this farce.

Perhabs it is time to bite the **** sandwhich and buy a PS3, it doesen't look like the PC market is getting any better anytime soon, quite the opposite, and i'm done paying for shoddy ports loaded with DRM, there's no point in it, it seems the times when you could just own a good PC and be all set are well and truely over, thease days you have to also own one of thease toyboxes.

Well it's either that, or i need to get in touch with my family roots, board the HMS Bittorrent and proudly fly the Jolly Roger.. nah, my connection sucks too much for that :(

Upvote 0
pc is still the best despite this virus plaguing us. stay strong my brothers!

resist the temptation to buy your games crippled. there's plenty of games i would have bought if it were not for the insulting DRM schemes. those companies can **** off. but many of the better games out don't screw you with bad DRM anyway (RO, KF. Valve games, mods, ArmA2 (as of 1.5 patch), etc.)

it's also time game developers go back to having some integrity and tell their publishers to stop trying to rape the customers. before it seemed like devs were all heavily invested in the product and were really trying to make something good for people and now theyre just slaves to the publishers. alas though, this won't change as the games industry is prevalently a monster money-making machine now. So...

Vote with your money!
Support independent developers.
Voice your opposition to DRM.

Maybe something will change down the line.

Last edited:
Upvote 0