• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VIP/VIS Good or Bad?

VIP/VIS Good or Bad?

• VIP

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • VIS

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • BOTH

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • NONE! The game is fine the way it is!!

Votes: 14 35.9%

• Total voters

No Glory

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
BC, Canada
Hey I've talked to a few people about my preivous post on VIP/VIS. A few people have recommended a poll, so here it is!

:::This is the info taken from the previous post (Just copied and pasted all my posts on it, so it may not run together well):::

Well, this may or may not have been said, but,

What do you think of adding a V.I.P. mode? One human has 75% of on field zombies attracted to him and if he dies, all is lost. (Maybe if he lives long enough per wave, people who have died can re-spawn).

If that doesn't sound so good, what about a V.I.P. specimen or group of specimens that must killed for the wave to end? (Waves don't have a set limit)
wave 1= 1 specimen V.I.P., wave 2= 2 specimen V.I.P.s etc......

In V.I.P. specimen mode, the wave number is= to the number of fleshpounds or unique zspecimen only for that mode that you have to kill in the wave. (Maybe they don't follow you, you have to find them) The longer it takes to kill them the harder the rest of the specimen that spawn get, until maybe there is a limit (time or # of zombies allowed onscreen), then you've become "overwhelmed" and the game ends. This would force the players to move around. (same with ammo depletion)

I don't want to get technical unless people really do like the concept, but to increase difficulty, if players are camping or exploiting in some way, the Spawn points closest to the players may be the ones where specimen keep spawning from to keep the pressure on the players. (It's not easy when 30 some specimen spawn beside you because you're taking your time.)

the minute someone hits the VIP, many of the specimins suddenly target that player and attempt to kill them, which could be not so good if the player only winged the VIP or if there is still at least one more specimen VIP somewhere on the map.

The FINAL WAVE would be the ultimate VIS- the patriarch with the same unending waves until he dies.

As for the specimen VIP, it could be one of the existing specimens, or a new one. A much earlier post caught my eye with a potential VIP. the "Firepound" Fleshpound with husk arm. He would have the flame gun, and a metal arm in other hand. His health and size would be equal to the FP, although for balencing issues, he may be immune to normal headshots(Not sharpshooters). If attacked from a range, he will use flame gun, which can, if successful on contact, make it hard to see for the sharphooter like the husk does. But if he's not attacked, he would not go after players, but rather wait until players got close and then lunge using the FP hand to damage them (Not rage damage, just normal as they are NOT bosses, maybe minibosses).......But that's just me.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
And please try out the poll!!!

-No Glory

EDIT:
Please consider this as an idea taken to the mod community rather than for tripwire to implement!!

Last edited:
i voted VIP, i think it could work well with this game as its not PvP

being the VIP does sound alot of fun to me, depending on your team.

dont really understand why people are voting no to a new gamemode which im guessing would be optional to play. You dont have to play it. No harm in adding it in.

Upvote 0
I think the idea is very well thought out and presented. But I voted no, becuase I wouldn't play it, and since there is a limited amount a stuff TW is going to give us, I really only want to vote for things I will use.

I think the game mode would be fun for a number of people to play, and the way it is presented sounds very balanced.
I think having to hunt the VIP zed, having to attack the Zed camping would be the more fun option, but I don't think I would play it more than a couple of times.
It would be an awesome mod.

Upvote 0
I think the idea is very well thought out and presented. But I voted no, becuase I wouldn't play it, and since there is a limited amount a stuff TW is going to give us, I really only want to vote for things I will use.

I think the game mode would be fun for a number of people to play, and the way it is presented sounds very balanced.
I think having to hunt the VIP zed, having to attack the Zed camping would be the more fun option, but I don't think I would play it more than a couple of times.
It would be an awesome mod.

I'm confused as to why you wouldn't play something that you characterized as "awesome" and "fun"?

I think the more game modes the merrier. As wave after wave of the same thing has started to get repetitive.

Upvote 0
i dont want the community to be seperated between ppl who the VIP and the wavebased. the community is small as it is. which is why i voted no.
were playing the same game
wtf u talking about separating community?

I voted VIP because its an interesting game mode that is kinda reminiscent to cs
in cs the VIP could only use pistols and had a special skin too
there's an idea ^

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm confused as to why you wouldn't play something that you characterized as "awesome" and "fun"?

I think the more game modes the merrier. As wave after wave of the same thing has started to get repetitive.

The short answer, becuase I suck at FPS cause i'm slower than most players.

I would play it, but only 4 or 5 times prob. I recognize it would be fun for a number of people, but i'm still enjoying the basic game, i haven't had it 6 months yet and i'm still working my skills to get the hard achievements.

I think this would be a great mod, rather than a patch, becuase i know a lot of people at the RO update/patch/expansion to come out, so if we only get 2 or 3 patches from TW, I would rather have new perk, Zeds, or endless way game mode than this one.

I like it, just for other people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The short answer, becuase I suck at FPS cause i'm slower than most players.

I would play it, but only 4 or 5 times prob. I recognize it would be fun for a number of people, but i'm still enjoying the basic game, i haven't had it 6 months yet and i'm still working my skills to get the hard achievements.

I think this would be a great mod, rather than a patch, becuase i know a lot of people at the RO update/patch/expansion to come out, so if we only get 2 or 3 patches from TW, I would rather have new perk, Zeds, or endless way game mode than this one.

I like it, just for other people.

Err..? Maybe you shouldnt have voted then? I mean, if you dont actually care wether its added or not then why vote no (or yes).

Upvote 0
Err..? Maybe you shouldnt have voted then? I mean, if you dont actually care wether its added or not then why vote no (or yes).

I don't want it added before endless waves, or story mode.

150+ views, and only 13 votes! Don't be afraid to vote guys! Nobody can see who specifically voted for what!

I don't see how anyone would vote against a game mode except that they wouldn't play it and would want the finite resources applied else where. More options is always better (as long as they don't unbalance what already is).

Other than was said earlier, that some people would only play one mode or another, and then fans would say the other people are playing wrong, or not talk to each other. I don't really agree with the though but I can for see it happening

Upvote 0
I don't want it added before endless waves, or story mode.

I don't see how anyone would vote against a game mode except that they wouldn't play it and would want the finite resources applied else where. More options is always better (as long as they don't unbalance what already is).

Other than was said earlier, that some people would only play one mode or another, and then fans would say the other people are playing wrong, or not talk to each other. I don't really agree with the though but I can for see it happening

My aim is not to show tripwire how much the community wants the mode, it's how popular it is. If tripewire adds the mode(s), I'd be really happy, but if not then it's not the end of the world. If it's popular enough I may try and see if I can get enough people in the modding community together and create a mod version. please keep voting guys!!

Upvote 0
were playing the same game
wtf u talking about separating community?

meaning that it creates 2 groups of seperate players, those who play the wave based and those who play only the VIP mode. that would be a bummer when youre looking for wave based servers and its a ghosttown because the majority have all went over to VIP mode.

Upvote 0
meaning that it creates 2 groups of seperate players, those who play the wave based and those who play only the VIP mode. that would be a bummer when youre looking for wave based servers and its a ghosttown because the majority have all went over to VIP mode.

With any new playmode, everyone would go play it only for a while, then lots of people would move back to the other one; i seriously doubt this would kill wave style for ever. probably for a bit as people have played waves to death,...

Upvote 0
by now everyone has gotten every achievement or gave up on it
whats the point of playing regular wave
uve done it like a million times already im sure

Upvote 0
I'm going with no for a few reasons.

Lets start with the player mode. Aside from basically being exactly the same as normal mode, there are so many extra factors that could ruin the match. How would the VIP be chosen? What happens if the VIP leaves the game early? What happens if the VIP is a massive dick and does everything he can get his team mates killed trying to save him? Also, Most teams camp anyway so it really wouldn't make a difference to the game unless a flesh-pound breaks through the line, kills the VIP and ends the game with 5 players still healthy and wondering why they weren't playing regular mode instead.

As for the specimen VIP. As much as I would love to see a mode that forces the players to move around the map I don't think this is a good way to do it. Hunting FPs all round the map without any idea as to where they could be while the waves get progressively harder sounds like hell even on a small map like office, let alone farm. That said, it could be that all the VIS appear nearby in one group. Waves could either last 2 seconds or half an hour. The time limit idea would make people angry IMO, your just about to kill that FP after a long old search, fighting through hoards when "your out of time, you all die", It wouldn't be fair. The patriarch battle sounds great though.

It might be fun to see this as a mutator but I think it needs a bit of tweaking, Maybe a compass leading you to the VIS? But then you could just all play medic with a cross-bow and race around killing all of them ending the round quickly... A'h dunno

Upvote 0
I'm going with no for a few reasons.

Lets start with the player mode. Aside from basically being exactly the same as normal mode, there are so many extra factors that could ruin the match. How would the VIP be chosen? What happens if the VIP leaves the game early? What happens if the VIP is a massive dick and does everything he can get his team mates killed trying to save him? Also, Most teams camp anyway so it really wouldn't make a difference to the game unless a flesh-pound breaks through the line, kills the VIP and ends the game with 5 players still healthy and wondering why they weren't playing regular mode instead.

As for the specimen VIP. As much as I would love to see a mode that forces the players to move around the map I don't think this is a good way to do it. Hunting FPs all round the map without any idea as to where they could be while the waves get progressively harder sounds like hell even on a small map like office, let alone farm. That said, it could be that all the VIS appear nearby in one group. Waves could either last 2 seconds or half an hour. The time limit idea would make people angry IMO, your just about to kill that FP after a long old search, fighting through hoards when "your out of time, you all die", It wouldn't be fair. The patriarch battle sounds great though.

It might be fun to see this as a mutator but I think it needs a bit of tweaking, Maybe a compass leading you to the VIS? But then you could just all play medic with a cross-bow and race around killing all of them ending the round quickly... A'h dunno

I hear you shambler, there are so many things that could go wrong and that need to be ironed out,
The time limit might only be on beginner and possibly normal, to prevent people from farming on lower waves. As for the VIS spawn, I was thinking they would spawn in the same areas each time. (those areas being where the specimens arrive on the map, and staying within a 6 metre radius) A small group of specemins would arrive first to prevent pipebomb spamming. What makes it replayable is the difficulty, the harder the game easy, norm, hard, sui, decides what specimens arrive in earlier waves and how fast it gets harder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i dont really understand the concept as too what this game mode would have to offer other than forcing everyone too protect the "vip" much like what you do originally when the badass specimens come in "scrakes ; Fleshpounds" the team all protects the unlucky victim from getting owned lol

or as in "vis" the objective is too be the biggest kill whore and reap the reward for yourself

Alot of effort in your ideas though :cool:

Upvote 0
i dont really understand the concept as too what this game mode would have to offer other than forcing everyone too protect the "vip" much like what you do originally when the badass specimens come in "scrakes ; Fleshpounds" the team all protects the unlucky victim from getting owned lol

or as in "vis" the objective is too be the biggest kill whore and reap the reward for yourself

Alot of effort in your ideas though :cool:

Thank you :)

But in VIS it's not to horde the kills, it's for using strategy and effectively bringing down all the VIS as fast as possible (Money awarded at end of the wave rather than by specimen kills to prevent the hording issue. The difficulty and # of VIS killed= amount of money earned). eg. Maybe one player distracts so the berzerker can go around behind and attack the VIS without having to face the hordes or it allows the sharpshooter to get a clean shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While a nice concept, it just wouldn't work with how specifically KF is tailored around the current setup.

Take specimen behavior for example. They all fill a specific role that counters any sort of action you may take to stay alive: clots hold you in place and keep you from escaping, crawlers and gorefasts chase after you so you have to kill them as well, bloats keep you from bunching together in confined spaces, etc. etc.

If most of them are just going after one guy, then what are they to the rest of the team, since this special behavior only really applies to the player they've currently targeted? A bunch of walking zombies with different health. Killing without anything actually trying to kill you would get boring pretty fast.

As for VIS... I dunno, it's workable but I'm not totally convinced it's an improvement over the normal wave format, and it's pretty similar to the current game mode anyway...

Upvote 0