• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Melee attacking

If i may add to this, id love to see melee expanded upon not just as a short ranged "projectile-like attack" but as a more visceral experience. Imagine two opposing players run out of ammo on their rifles and engage in a hand-to-hand fight. While one player charges at the other, the opposing player hits his melee button right as the attacking player attempts to strike the player. The strike is deflected and two players then are stalemated and could enter into some kind "mini-game" where they have to try and overpower the other player (im thinking of like a shifting off-balance bar or scale type representation where each player tries to keep their mouse centered, if that makes any sense whatsoever :p) If one player is successful the other is knocked to the ground for a few seconds thereby allowing the victorious player to finish him off. Obviously teamwork would play into this, for example if one player had a teammate nearby he could simply shoot/stab/hit the opposing player while the two were fighting.

I also think a non-lethal melee should do more than put up some vague hit indicator on the recipients screen. The players view should be noticeably jarred throwing off his aim.

Upvote 0
try both and tell me whats more awkward...
just moving foward your right hand, being able to get your whole bodyweight into that one push and also support it with your legs while being almost perfectly balanced

or that you have to regrab your weapon with both hands, hold it over your left shoulder, then swing it foward with both arms but not being able to fully support it due to balance?

at last thats what pretty much described both different animations for my tries

I'd agree that a sidebutt is the easier option normally, but I'd say that's not so when you're charging, because a classic RO OST riflebutt is fairly lateral to your charge direction whereas a sidebutt has you swinging it fairly perpendicular to your charge direction, and also (i believe) you turn your body to strengthen a side smack, which is again awkward in a charge scenario. But apon further reflection; you also turn a little to use RO OST butt, but its do-able.

---If someone could research the history of ww2 non-bayonet melee that'd be helpful in rsolving our debate---

Also the offbalancing effect you mentioned attributed to the RO OST butt is, thoeretcally, counteracted by the impact apon the target.

Finally, I don't agree that the hand repositioning required to use the RO OST butt is awkward EXCEPT in close quaters to the enemy, in which scenario one would want to already have rifle raised for a RO OST hit, or ideally use a side smack.

P.S. I think that a jab with the barrel of the gun is a quick attack that could be used in real life, but not being very lethal (it's more of a first-strike-to-stop-them-striking blow) I can't imagine it being in RO HOS

Upvote 0
Here is something I thought would make sense for a melee attack:

Often times, you are a riflemen with a bayonet, but do not mount it. And occasionally you get your weapon shot out of your hand.

Say you are a riflemen and your rifle gets shot out of your hand, but you did not have the bayonet mounted. Now you can pull out your unmounted bayonet and use it as a knife.

Of course, the range will have to be decrease as you can reach out further with it mounted on a rifle.

Often times I have had my rifle shot out of my hand at point blank range, only to be left unarmed, even though I have my bayonet on me. The the enemy would do a reload, but I am just standing there looking for my weapon to pick up. You'd think in real life you would pull out your bayonet and try to stab them then look around for your weapon.

Then again, this might take a lot of work to implement since only half or so of the players get bayonets.

Upvote 0
i like the old melee attack. but it would be nice not to only be able to do that.

you could quick tab on mouse (quick tab sucks anyway you need two hits in the head to get a kill anyway, and you allmost never get that.) to swipe thingly like in MOH airborne. and hold to go old school holding the stock up for some skull crushing action

Upvote 0
Say you are a riflemen and your rifle gets shot out of your hand, but you did not have the bayonet mounted. Now you can pull out your unmounted bayonet and use it as a knife.

This might be alright for the K-98 bayonet, however the Mosin's socket bayonet is near impossible to use effectively without it mounted to something.

Upvote 0
and i also want my tianium armored t-34 with armor renegation plates and gunner,mg and driver be done all at the same time with only only one guy. they got this awsomely good at cock of duty WAW.

and i want to be able to eat led for dinner you shoot me with mg42 i only get a shill. did i feel something no i think NOT. also i want to hip fire me mg42. oooo nice. you should be able to pull pins of granades with you teeth. arr, upse it seems pvt james died by swallowing the pin arrr poor lad.

Upvote 0
Okay back on the topic:

MG42 is a good catch. It always bothered me since I played RO that the mgs got no melee attack ability. I do know they are large and they are heavy. Still the most lmgs of that time had a weight of around 12kg (loaded). 12kg is something you can still accelerate for a massive bash. Sure it will not be as fast as a normal rifle smack, it'll be much slower but it should have definitely more punch behind.

Upvote 0