• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Windows KF Dedicated Server Tutorial

I've got a little problem aswell.

I followed all the steps mentioned in the thread and managed to set up a server, for LAN however.

So I need help getting this online instead of on my local network.

The server is hosted from my machine which has the 192.169 etc ip. I can connect to it with the online serverAdmnin, so I guess that's proof that the ports are open.

Thanks inadvance.

Upvote 0
Need Help

Need Help

Hey Hey, RandomKid here.
To start off, my clan has played killing floor for awhile now and we decided to get a server. I have about 80 custom maps i want to put on the server. I have compressed the maps to .uz2 and just wondering if i could use filezilla to put them on. I have used filezilla once before(when the maps were not compressed) but the server wouldn't connect after that(is there a port i need to open?). If I could use filezilla, may someone please make a video on how to because I can not find 1. And i am sure alot of other people are wondering how to do it.

Greatly appreciated,
RandomKid

Upvote 0
Ok i know what you mean by the .rom files. But where is the redirect located so I can put the .uz2 files in?

EDIT: True true 'bout the self explanatory but don't have much experience with programming and maps and all, :p

Redirect is covered in part 6 of the tutorial :) - you'll need some online storage space for it, but without it any custom content on your server will download very slowly. I use website storage space provided by my server host with the game server. An alternative is storage space provided by your ISP or free/bought space from a host.

I also have very little programming knowledge and I have never touched mapping. It's often simpler than you think! Try not to overcomplicate the whole thing. If you don't understand something don't change it, and read everything! Read it twice or three times if it helps and if you still don't understand it come back to it at another time with a clear head.

Edit: and there is nothing wrong with a bit of trial and error ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Umm...yeah,i got in trouble by my Clan Leader because i screwed up the server, we had to restart it from scratch, so that's y i wanted a video so i know exactly what to do.

EDIT: Hmmm...We can upload things to our clan website(thats where we put mods and stuff for CoD4), would that be ok? and BTW thanks soo much for helping me :)

Cruel leader!!! I'm co leader in mine so if i f-up they don't care :) - it should only take 5 mins or so to reset a server to defaults! It's not difficult, they shouldn't be complaining (if they don't know they just need to copy default.ini into killingfloor.ini and wa-la good to go). Ideally you should have a backup of any files your changing whenever you change anything!!! Especially killingfloor.ini.

I can't really produce a video, I think most is covered in the original tutorial, you can definately use your clans website for storage. Just create a new folder like www.youserver.com/killingfloor and put everything in there. That's all the .uz2 files, maps, textures, mods etc all in that one folder with no sub-folders. When you put the path in the redirect area of killingfloor.ini make sure it reads:
RedirectToURL=http://www.yourhost.com/maps/
with the / at the end!

Personally I'd set up the redirect first and every time you save the killingflor.ini you'll need to restart your server without visiting the webadmin.

Maps go in the maps folder of your server (.rom), textures in the textures folder (.utx) and mods in the system folder (.u .int and other). They usually have readme's if they are complex.

Once they're in restart the server and they will show up on webadmin, from there you can do what you want! Remember you're not the first to have issues, if you search this part of the forums I could almost guarantee someone has had the problem before.

Upvote 0
NAr, hes cool, just the stress hes been under :p Umm yeah thanks for your help. I have posted on our forums of our conversation and see if someobe can take me throught a step-by-step plan on vent. It will be much easier :p. U have giving me alot of knowlege about this subject and hopefully I will get betr and betre :D

Thanks again
RandomKid

Upvote 0
NAr, hes cool, just the stress hes been under :p Umm yeah thanks for your help. I have posted on our forums of our conversation and see if someobe can take me throught a step-by-step plan on vent. It will be much easier :p. U have giving me alot of knowlege about this subject and hopefully I will get betr and betre :D

Thanks again
RandomKid

This is the step by step:

1 It You`ve mess sth up
they just need to copy default.ini into killingfloor.ini and wa-la good to go). Ideally you should have a backup of any files your changing whenever you change anything!!! Especially killingfloor.ini.

2 maps and redirect
I think most is covered in the original tutorial, you can definately use your clans website for storage. Just create a new folder like [url]www.youserver.com/killingfloor[/URL] and put everything in there. That's all the .uz2 files, maps, textures, mods etc all in that one folder with no sub-folders. When you put the path in the redirect area of killingfloor.ini make sure it reads:
RedirectToURL=http://www.yourhost.com/maps/
with the / at the end!

3 Where to put other files from maps
Maps go in the maps folder of your server (.rom), textures in the textures folder (.utx) and mods in the system folder (.u .int and other). They usually have readme's if they are complex.

read also that tutorial again.

There is nothing more to say, really - it is that simple.

Upvote 0
Ports......

Ports......

Hey guys, just wanted to ask how to open up ports. I went to my routers webpage (Netgear site) and tried adding them and I have also added the port numbers to my firewall. I just want a simple tutorial on how to open my ports, they seem to still be closed and I want my own server. I am on a laptop that is getting its connection wirelessly.

To sum it up.....

Need port opening tutorial and need to know if they need to be opened on the other computer.

Upvote 0
Hey guys, just wanted to ask how to open up ports. I went to my routers webpage (Netgear site) and tried adding them and I have also added the port numbers to my firewall. I just want a simple tutorial on how to open my ports, they seem to still be closed and I want my own server. I am on a laptop that is getting its connection wirelessly.

To sum it up.....

Need port opening tutorial and need to know if they need to be opened on the other computer.

Lol running a server on a wireless laptop! Good luck... and please don't put it on the master server list, i'd rather not join it accidentally :p

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30634 for port information and then find your router here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm and follow the guide for anything but just use the KF ports instead.

Upvote 0
me again:p

me again:p

ok, i started putting the maps onto the server, i have put all the compressed maps onto the redirect. Have changed the killingfloor.ini to the redirect and put the map list down the bottom. When i was putting the .rom folders onto the server I was also putting them onto the redirect. I just want to know, can i just put the maps (.rom) onto the server without putting them onto the redirect??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
WTF! I hate this I have to re-install KF cuz it screwed it up! Everything is black the menu doesn't work, tried verifying intergrity of cache, tried launching via bat file, nothing works! I have to backup all my mutators and crap cuz of this stupid thing! This is something that will haunt any game for weeks...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello people, I won 2 problems and I hope you can help me

1.with me always comes the text: No localization: Engine.Progress.RunningNet det

I once made a photo so you know what I mean

is it normal or I do something wrong??

2.why I do not come with the same computer with the server on which I've run into the game

So I will not come on my own server

I'm sorry that my english is so bad I am working on it^^

Upvote 0