• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Flare gun!

I like this idea. Would be a fun little addition to the game. And damn useful for finding teammates on maps like Farm.

Rather than the burning-a-single-specimen idea, I'd find it more balaced and funny if the Flare stuck to them, but didn't damage them. Instead, they instantly go into their little "on-fire" animation and flail about for a second or so before the flare falls off them onto the ground. This way, the Firebug still isn't great against larger enemies, but can at least help out teammates who are.

Upvote 0
@ Madhate969, that would be hilarious.

There should be a flaregun that does normal damage over time like the flamethrower so the gun at least has SOME defensive capability. Normally good for lighting the area but also good for igniting scrakes and FPs when the flamethrower runs out.

Also drop flares for continuous burning, that fizzle out after 20 minutes or so.

Upvote 0
There should be a flaregun that does normal damage over time like the flamethrower so the gun at least has SOME defensive capability.
The problem with that is, no-one would ever use it for defence, because the flamethrower is stronger. So why bother adding the damage for it? I'd only be using it for the light or the hilarity of the flail animations.

Upvote 0
The problem with that is, no-one would ever use it for defence, because the flamethrower is stronger. So why bother adding the damage for it? I'd only be using it for the light or the hilarity of the flail animations.

I still say a droppable flare would work far better than a flare gun. It could even produce a minor amount of smoke near it so that there is a downside to using them in confined spaces. Got to think of that mysterious force known as balance that we must always ensure to pay homage to with daily sacrifices of level 1 players on Suicidal servers :)

Upvote 0
I support the flare gun.

now on the topic of firebug weapons....why dosent the flamerthrowers initial flame (that blue flame that sticks out a little bit) create any light? you would think being fire and all it would at least glow a little in the dark. maybe twi could fix that while they are at it

Upvote 0

As a weapon the flaregun wouldn't be a replacement to the flamethrower, rather would be an option to save flamethrower ammo against single targets (especially at range), and a backup for when the flamethrower runs out. That way you could always ignite the scrakes and FP's at the end of each wave. Due to single shot load, the light would be the main advantage on dark maps.

The flares could possibly stick to the wall, acting like a wall torch for a few minutes.

Upvote 0
As a weapon the flaregun wouldn't be a replacement to the flamethrower, rather would be an option to save flamethrower ammo against single targets (especially at range), and a backup for when the flamethrower runs out. That way you could always ignite the scrakes and FP's at the end of each wave. Due to single shot load, the light would be the main advantage on dark maps.
I still have to disagree unfortunately. Do you remember as far back as to when the Firebugs got NO ammo boost with their perk? Coupled with the high ammo consumption, It seems that running out of ammo was always meant to be the vice for Firebug. I mean, what players really need to try is carefully spending their ammo, rather than just screaming to TWI for more.
Also, I use the Handcannon as "an option to save flamethrower ammo against single targets (especially at range), and a backup for when the flamethrower runs out." And it's pretty good at it. So why the need for a Flare Gun? Or at least, one with damage.

Upvote 0