• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close-Combating a Tank

OneBloodyHero

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 22, 2009
Canada
I am presuming there will be tanks in RO:HOS, and I really hope there will be.

Nevertheless, my suggestion is to allow players to close combat tanks; meaning one can shoot through the driver's slit, try to open hatch and throw grenade if not locked, throw Molotov cocktails, or anti-tank grenades or magnetic mines.

Similarly, while close-combating a tank was quite prevalent in street fighting scenarios in the second world war, tanks were equipped with counter-measures. I don't know the specific name of anti-personnel weaponry that certain tanks, like the Tiger for example, were equipped with. Explosives were placed on the tank to be triggered by the commander in case-infantry tried to close combat their tank.

I suggest this because in some circumstances infantry in RO are left defenseless against tanks or armored vehicles, especially where there isn't enough satchels or panzerfausts for use. This, while in reality very dangerous, would nevertheless allow players to fight back against tanks if no other options are available.

Personally, I think it would be a blast trying to take out a tank with a Molotav cocktail or climbing on the tank...:D

Yes, tanks had those very protections in place because of infantry close-combating tanks.

Similarly, German tanks, especially the Panthers, PIV, and Tigers, received anti-personnel grenade discharges to clear any infantry that would attempt to close combat a tank.

I know that tanks, especially in street fighting, like battles in Stalingrad, that infantry would close combat tanks; especially if they were disabled, isolated, or their infantry suppressed.

The Germans equipped some of their armored vehicles with Nahverteidigungswaffe which was used as a "close defense weapon system" placed on the turret roof that would discharge high-explosive to clear any infantry on tank. Given that these were employed in 1944; so maps that might take place after Stalingrad, if there were to be any beyond that time, could have that feature.

Finally, the implementation of that defense system suggests that enemies close-combated tanks to such a degree that a new weapons system had to be placed to protect tanks beyond locking hatches and bullet shields.

So even though Hollywood enjoyes filming scenes of American rangers rushing a tiger and then getting diced-up by 20mm cannon fire, infantry mostly in cities and towns did close combat tanks, and I think that implementation would enhance the new ro.

Upvote 0
tanks did indeed have the hatches closed and locked, and there is a form of armored glass in the view slots.

uhm, not really. Soviet tanks in general drove with their hatches closed but not locked.

In combat (when a tank was on fire) the soviets learned that their infantry could not help their tankcrew out of the tank if the hatches were locked. So it was common to have the hatches unlocked.

Upvote 0
Nevertheless, my suggestion is to allow players to close combat tanks; meaning one can shoot through the driver's slit, try to open hatch and throw grenade if not locked, throw Molotov cocktails, or anti-tank grenades or magnetic mines.

I love the idea of magnetic mines/AT grenades/molotovs. It would be great if some restricted classes (perhaps assault troopers or a dedicated AT solider) could select, say, one AT weapon in exchange for thier anti-personell grenades.

Upvote 0
I suppose. But, you would also want to have your hatch open in case you need to leave quickly so you don't burn inside...

Also, every tank would have infantry support, and close-combating a tank that still had infantry in good order to cover it would be suicide. It was very dangerous to close-combat a tank, but worked ideally in urban fighting where isolation of a tank or ambush was prevalent.

Upvote 0
I don't want this to be too radical of an idea, I just thought of it. The option to lock or unlock the tank hatch, similar to choosing ammunition types. It takes a few seconds (two or three?) to lock/unlock it. If its locked, the enemy can't take advantage of it. However, if it is unlocked, you can quickly "unbutton" the hatch and get out if your tank catches fire. This would be the player's decision, just like it was the soldier's decision.

Last edited:
Upvote 0