• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mgs rpm, resupplying, and holding up mg rounds

Matt Baker

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2009
I would like that machine guns have increased shooting speed there more you shoot constantly. In RO: OST you only shoot with the mg42 1250 rpm, but in reality you can shoot between 1250- 1500 rpm.

Operation flashpoint: Dragons rising have added this to the saw.

Normally they had a guy who held up the rounds so they would go directly into the gun, I think this adds shooting speed too. I don’t know please enlighten me.

Example: You could just walk up to the mg gunner and hold the rounds up, if the mg gunner wants to move you will automatically stop.

And if you resupply someone you will give him they mags he can carry 1, 2 or 3. If you give him one you will lose your resupply same as if you game 2 or 3. What if you just gave they ones he needed and kept they rest for another resupply. Example: you give 1 drum magazine to a mg gunner you stay with him he needs more ammo you give him another one.

ps: please fix the bug that enables, so you can resupply a guy who got full ammo.

Last edited:
Holding the belt won't make the gun shoot faster. The reason they do it is so that it doesn't get caught on something... which can be a pain in battle.

When they say 1,250-1,500, I think this depends on the specific weapon. Maybe as the parts wear out, it will shoot a bit quicker, ect. I am thinking of how worn out guns like a semi auto SKS can accidentally go full auto (slame fire ?) when certian parts get old... probably this happens to all guns when the parts are worn or very hot.

I think the reload system should stay the same though, 1 ammo reply per repsawn. Maybe make it so that only a few riflemen are carrying the extra MG ammo though.

Upvote 0
A saw at high rpm you might get 1000rpm or so and i belive thats through a special recoil mechanism. With a mg42 you simply change the bolt with a lighter one to get a higher rpm.

Technically with roost the default tickrate was 20fps. So with that a max rpm of 60*20 = 1200 was the possibility.

UE3 as default tickrate got 30fps however, So with that a max rpm of 60*30 = 1800rpm would be the possibility.

So in that sense higher rpm's will be a possibility, however if that is implemented the rpm's should be set by the mapper rather than allowing the mg gunner to select it somehow in my opinion. As you need to actually change and replace a bit of hardware. And with different speeds the sounds would need to be increased in speed as well.

Overall perhaps making it cost more resources than what it would be worth.

Upvote 0
In RO: OST you have information about the units, in both teams. Some of the maps you have well equipped units with good equipment. I think they should have better standard on their guns at least mgs. Danzig information is something like: allies one of the few units that holed together though out the hole war, will they survive the last desperate attack.

Example: pretty standard DH map axis has good equipment lots of stg44 and mgs, not so much reinforcements though. The allies have standard equipment but more reinforcement something like hill 108. (allies got 210% more reinforcements on that map )

Because the axis has good weapons and new guns and maybe new parts to old ones, they get faster shooting speed with the mgs and less weapon jams ( if added)

Thanks for the heads up on the engine default tickrate Zetsumei.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The effective rate of fire of an MG42 is probably only 300 RPM or less.

I don't see what the issue is with the current rate of fire, it's already psychotic to the point where you can barely hit anything and you chew through ammo at a pretty ridiculous rate. You fire 20 rounds every second, meaning with a 100 round mag at 1200 RPM you empty the mag in 5 seconds. You REALLY need a higher fire rate? It's not going to be a higher effective rate of fire I can tell you that much, unless you really need to perforate a lot of clouds.

BTW like the guy above me said holding the mag belt up during feeding doesn't speed anything up, it's only to allow for smoother feeding and to reduce the number of automatic jams, I assume. The rate of fire is dependent on the internals of the weapon.

Upvote 0
Well i just aim and pull down the trigger in to sec, against some running allies they either die or they throw them self at the ground. I just though faster rate of fire would be more realistic, and i love high rate of fire, buzz saw bsssssssssssssss. Shooting 20 mauser rounds in one sec isn

Upvote 0