• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Official 3d support

Seems like a lot of work when only 1% or so of the community will have the hardware any time soon.

I would only expect really high budget titles to use this technology in the next year or two.

Not that it matters much to me. After seeing Avatar 3D, I concluded it was crap and mainly a blur fest. I prefer 2D. ;)

Upvote 0
Seems like a lot of work when only 1% or so of the community will have the hardware any time soon.

I would only expect really high budget titles to use this technology in the next year or two.

Not that it matters much to me. After seeing Avatar 3D, I concluded it was crap and mainly a blur fest. I prefer 2D. ;)

In gaming you dont work with a camera so the entire image can be sharp (so you could look anywhere on your screen and actually have to focus yourself to see things sharp). I dont know how much work it is to support 3d technology its quite possible that nothing would need to be done. Although it would be a small community its good for marketing especially with 3d going to launch hard in 2010 with the 3d bluray and tv's etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The thing is all games can get 3d basically out of the box using either the nvision or the iz3d driver pretty much.

But often there can be visual bugs and (performance) issues. That could be avoided for the biggest bit (or so they say) by natively having 2 cameras in a players head rather than one. Pretty much at the locations where ones eyes are.

Aka i don't know how much work it is to have proper support, and wether its worth the effort. But it could be nice looking into and if its easy it would be worth giving it a shot. Especially as 3d is most likely going to grow heavily in the consumer market in the comming years.

So its a cool to have but low priority thing :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had an eye-gasm when watching Avatar. The movie was pretty standard but the 3D was awesome. It really brings the scene to life, this in a game would be even better. As soon as I can get a 3D monitor in 1080p I'm there :p

I couldn't imagine that it would be too difficult to do though, I mean, the game's in 3D anyway ...

Upvote 0
acer released a 1080p 120hz monitor and both ati and nvidia support 3d shutter glasses (nvidia said that they would support the bluray standard for 3d). iz3d is making a 27" monitor that will be 3d compliant using a hdmi cable accepting the bluray 3d standard.

Nvidia uses NVision ati uses Bit Cauldron (will soon get support with the iz3d driver).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The main thing that 3d support means is basically that the devs have a 3d monitor and try it out on both the iz3d driver and the nvidia driver.

Things like shadows can sometimes not be connected to a model, or text appearing really weird. I don't know if its a lot of work. But as 3d is going to become mainstream after a while it would be nice to test it out.

I dont know if things would be a big load of work, but for me 3d would really help to immerse me into a world.

Upvote 0
Same here. (for the movie.)

As i said that is because physical real world cameras have a focus point. So although things are in 3d you cannot look elsewhere than what the camera focussed on, because everything else is blurred. I believe its technically called dept of field.

And its especially weird as dept of field happens naturally in your eyes aka if you look at something close the things in the distance are blurred, so if you have the field of dept of a camera added to the field of dept your own eye experiences, it will just look weird.

3d games however are rendered and not recorded through a camera and thus per default have no field of dept, meaning that 3d is ideal for games. However some games imitate field of dept to give an idea of how an eye would look at things, RO:HOS tries to do this as well when in ironsight: http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/wp-content/gallery/rohos-august-screenshots/ironsights.jpg

And for example disabling that field of depth when using 3d technology is one of things in the list that help with making a game optimal for 3d. As your eyes focus themselves on the distances, and thus if you look in the distance things close by get blurred etc.

Other things that are often wrong is light sources/shadows. Which can often be projected as a flat layer on the screen without dept information and the first person weaponry especially while in ironsight (although realistic, you need to close 1 eye to aim accurately).

Companies like Nvidia, Iz3d and DDD atleast in what they say are willing to work with game developers to embed 3d into the game. Even ATI is going to support shutterglasses and 3d technology, while they were against 3d for a long time. Together with that pretty much all monitor manufactures are going to pop out 3d ready screens this year, shows that 3d is getting a big push in its back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats only with polarized projectors, interlaced solutions / and the iz3d solution though (lcd panel + polarizer screen). Shutterglasses and 120mhz panels which seem to become the most popular solution for 3d ready displays (its the cheapest for monitor manufacturers), and they do actually have those bigger glasses, however they are starting to get really good. And different solutions remain possible.

But there are panels already comming that don't require glasses for the TV sets, and i really think that the 3d scene is going to grow fast over the next years. Purely because all major brands are pushing it, as it being something like "the new full HD" or the new "widescreen". I personally always found it interesting, but now it's getting to a point where its getting affordable and of good quality with a major backing from the big brands.

Even ati is going to implement support for 3d in their next driver (for 3d bluray though as they try to market them not being proprietary by letting iz3d and DDD create the 3d drivers ;p), and is working with bit cauldron for getting those glasses to sync with ati videocards (and nvidia).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aiming with iron with full 3d could be fun (and realistic).
Because with your left eye you will see same object you are aimed at, but not obstructed by a weapon sight.
Also, aiming with sniper rifle could be cool too - you should not see scope with left eye, but scoped with right eye.
But not sure if its possible with ut3.

Last edited:
Upvote 0