• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Game causes system lock up with sound skipping

[MtK]StenO

Jan 5, 2010
It has happened twice today so I'm getting kind of worried. This has happened right after I switched weapons and the new weapon is coming out. My PC freezes and the sound can be heard skipping repeatedly until I reboot.

Intel Q6600
nVidia GTX260 with 182.50 drivers
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio (driver version is 5.10.1.6110 from 1/16/2007)
3GB of RAM

My PC generally doesn't freeze when not playing games. Killing Floor seems to cause a lot of problems, but the worst is when I have to do a whole reboot. One time I got a quick BSOD before it rebooted. Game doesn't usually crash to desktop as far as I remember.

I have the older nVidia drivers because someone recommended them for playing Left4Dead 2 which actually helped a lot.

I just changed my killingfloor.ini to turn off all precaching and I will try to turn off mouse lag reduction, but I don't think I need to since my system is much higher than recommended specs.

This was, and still is, happening to me as well. Just started a couple days ago. I have mode no changes or updates to my system. Though I found that if I play the game in windowed mode it works just fine and it never took me to a BSOD. Mine just freezes my PC exactly as you describe.

I am not exactly sure where to place the blame as of yet. All of my "non-steam" games run wonderfully. This includes all the ones with much higher and some lower system requirements. I have only had this happen to me one time in a game other than Killing Floor and that was while messing around in Half Life Source the other day. However Killing Floor was doing it after 2 or 3 waves every single time I tried to play.

Like I said, playing in a window fixes it, that is to say I have played all day and it has not once even hiccuped. However this is a lazy fix and I really need to find out whats going on. Time to start checking drivers and DirectX I guess. Though I am thinking its related to Steam somehow since I cant manage to get it to lock up in much more system intensive non-Steam games. I could be dead wrong but all I know is if I play Killing Floor full screen its over. lol

If anyone else has any ideas on the matter I would love to hear them.

Basic rig specs:

Windows XP Pro SP3
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Callisto BE 3.1GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB
Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio

Upvote 0
Well, after doing a LOT of research, I found a way to get Killing Floor to play full screen again. Though to be perfectly honest I can't figure out why it worked.

I bumped my VCore (CPU Core Voltage) up by 0.5V. So for me, it was a hardware issue related to my motherboard undervolting. Though for the life of me I cant figure out why it did not effect any of my other games and why it only started happening now. It's also not a problem since overclocking is a hobby of mine and I had planned on OC'ing this CPU/Motherboard combo anyway to unlock it's four cores, I have not done that yet though. So I can't blame it on that.

Anyway, I wanted to post that in case it helps diagnose the problem for anyone else. There is a chance its a hardware and/or power issue with your system.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Upvote 0
No problem. If it helps anyone out then it's worth it. I just hate it when I see threads that end with either no solution or at least closed by the OP saying they were unable to correct the problem. I hate to be left hanging. lol

I forgot to mention before. My son was having the exact same problem. He is running a bit of an older system, an AMD Athlon XP 3200+. That CPU's VCore is 1.65V. So I went in and did the same as I did on mine. I bumped it up to 1.70V, so +0.5v. Also not a problem on his system since like I mentioned above, I like to overclock so I tend to use "top of the line" cooling hardware even when I don't overclock.

I have 6 systems running in my home, all but one is AMD powered, and 3 of those are all running Killing Floor. What were the chances of the same error happening twice with the same fix.

That being said, his game is back up and running wonderfully. I just wanted to add this since there seems to be a little trend here. Perhaps other people using an AMD CPU may look into this.

Keep up the great work Tripwire. :)

Upvote 0
How do I run it in windowed mode without too much change in my perception? I usually run the game at 1920x1200.

I will try it out and report back. The problems seemed to have lessened when I turned ON all precaching. It did happen once yesterday in KF-WestLondon when playing solo with clot buster on. I was funneling all the clots into the police station while standing in one of the little cubicles. I kept swinging the axe and the clots were kind of glitching (they weren't coming to me smoothly) and then the game locked up.

Upvote 0