• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Departed

Ah oke, then really too bad, we did overestimate some of the end user hardware on this one largely due not having beta testers with low end hardware. And due to not having enough time at the end to fix some of the resource wastes. (not talking about downscaling textures, but rather about having models share textures more efficiently).

Departed was, and still is, one of the smoothest maps I've ever played. Never noticed any kind of lag on my old as well as on my new machine.
Really weird, considering that almost every object has collision applied to it.

Don't know how you did it, but you should give TWI a hand!

Upvote 0
Actually, we initially had small fps drops due to collision, but we applied the modern day game approach to the problem, we only let bullets hit the actual model when it gets too complex and we pulled around it a boxier like blockingvolume that takes the shape of the model in question. That way we were able to preserve the fps when bumping into higher tri count models (seeing bullets only take a raytrace calculation, which is fast).

Looking back on everything, we might have better taken the time to actually figure out how to import collision models, but this method served us pretty well regardless.

Upvote 0
I know of one instance i just wasn't able to correct in time, it's down in the underground. Although i know nothing more than the underground spawn being buggy at times.

And i force the zombies out of their spawns through forced pathways, what they do after that is what i leave up to the AI itself. It's fairly decent at enclosing you and everything should be connected just fine.

Upvote 0
I know of one instance i just wasn't able to correct in time, it's down in the underground. Although i know nothing more than the underground spawn being buggy at times.

And i force the zombies out of their spawns through forced pathways, what they do after that is what i leave up to the AI itself. It's fairly decent at enclosing you and everything should be connected just fine.

ya its the underground path that has the problems. usually its 1-3 that are confused. looking at the other paths, im surprised the zombies can find their way around. some spots were pathed very neatly, and then theres some areas that are like, "wow, somehow the zombies can figure this out"

kf-departed.png

kf-departed2.png

kf-departed1.png

Upvote 0
kf-departed.png

Nice find, must be a leftover from when the train wasn't placed yet.

kf-departed2.png

not exactly seeing the issue here seeing the zeds jump when they are blocked by a model and so they get over there just fine.

kf-departed1.png
I recall having pathnodes there. But it looks like i forgot them, there used to be a train there we took out in one of the final days, can't believe i skipped over it, my bad.

*last screenshot*
No idea what i'm looking at here, is it the texture density or shader density?
Whichever view it is, it probably has to do with the train cart at the front, it was supposed to be in the trainstation itself in plain view, but due to problems with gameplay reasons we moved it (the gaping hole in the pathing in the last screenshot ;) ), it's quite an intensive model but Zerreth, who made it, wanted it to be in the final nonetheless.

Can't patch the map anymore though for you guys seeing it's in tripwires hands now. those are easy fixes, and i feel quite embarrassed for actually missing them.

- The Wanderer

Upvote 0
Small question, but what happened to the toy music box losing its sound? Did that not get included?

TWI took that out, they thought it was copyrighted, I actually took it from http://www.freesound.org/ but we never replied back to them with that info because it was too much hassle and we were both busy.

Most, if not everything on that site is licensed under the creative common license.

I thought it was a pity that was taken out, i loved that mini easter egg :p
Didn't knew people actually noticed that sound (even though it was quite loud when no music was playing, but still...)

- The Wanderer

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kf-departed2.png

not exactly seeing the issue here seeing the zeds jump when they are blocked by a model and so they get over there just fine.

the player starts act as path nodes, thus they dont need pathnodes right next to them. its just more to calculate and can create possible confusion.

*last screenshot*
No idea what i'm looking at here, is it the texture density or shader density?
Whichever view it is, it probably has to do with the train cart at the front, it was supposed to be in the trainstation itself in plain view, but due to problems with gameplay reasons we moved it (the gaping hole in the pathing in the last screenshot ;) ), it's quite an intensive model but Zerreth, who made it, wanted it to be in the final nonetheless.

its depth complexity, the red is areas where lag occurs, yellow is so so, and green is fine. i wondered why it was so red right there, turns out those static meshes have collision, when they could just have a blocking volume around them and collision turned off.

i love kf-departed, and i wish i had the chance to look at it closer before it was released but the filesize was so daunting! some things are very professional, whereas other things are just really careless. personally i wouldve gave kf-departed 1st place if i was judging.

Upvote 0
Yea there are parts that could've gotten a bit more attention, but we were under a time constraint at the time and just wanted to finish it up.
f.e. no models have got any cull distance set, we just didn't have the time for it.

You thought it was daunting? try uploading it regularly :p
Exchanging files between Zerreth and I took way too long :D

- The Wanderer

Upvote 0