• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heavy Assualt Perk

Keep in mind that anyone can use these weapons. This could be good/bad but just think of 6 ppl with a SAW/.50 cal or m60 in a circle coverag, or with backs to the wall and all 6 have a full LOS. I would not have a problem with maybe perhaps on certain maps there is a gun mount/s and it is vital to keep up. Ammo and etc could be bought at the trader but u couldnt buy the guns. Like there would be a 1 gun mount at any particular defensive position in a map. having the ability for all teammates to poses a portable SAW would be a game breaker at this point. Maybe if they make KF 2 or if someone makes map specific mods.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Unbalanced this"... "unbalanced that"... and it's not even in the game yet...

What? You think TWI can't change some numbers in code to "make it so"?

Shame on you: Your faith is weak old man!

The idea itself has issues. Granted in probably could be fixed but it would require extensive testing and ultimately not be what the players wanted.

I can only figure that this perk would be highly powerful and be a better version of the firebug at worst. If they were relegated the role of an immobile gunner to even be worth it you would have to have sufficient power to keep back the number of specs you spawn on early waves.

The end result is, at best, an alternate firebug that would be god mode on certain maps and crap tier on others. I am of the opinion that it would be broken.

Upvote 0
I definitely like the idea: a class that sacrifices mobility for damage and suppressive fire by firing lotsa bullets. There is a problem:

Realistically, a machine gun tears through flesh and bone and we can see from history than a few individuals with rapid firing automatic weapons can tear through almost any amount of melee combatants. For this reason a machine gunner is really the ideal perk to have when fighting zombies. The only way I can see to balance this is to limit the ammo, this could make the game more tactical, but it would probably just frustrate the players using the heavy assault perk (you can see how frustrated firebugs get with their lack of ammo).

Of course, you can claim that I am trying to make the game too realistic, and that's fair enough. It's really all down to personal preference on how much realism you want in a zombie shooter.

Upvote 0
The Ultimax for Tier 1
Ultimax%20STK%20photo.jpg

The M249 for Tier 2
draft_lens5188302module45677192photo_1247444888DYT-IU-M249-MKII-lg.jpg

The Bren Gun for Tier 3
Bren%20Machine%20Gun.jpg

The Ultimax would play like a Bullpup with iron sights and a clip that's twice as large, The M249 is a a more powerful version of the Ultimax, though lacking the grip, so you have to crouch to shoot as you're carrying it with the handle, and with a 200 round box mag, the Bren Gun has a 50 round clip, with a bullet somewhere between a SCAR and an M14EBR in power.

These weapons have a reload speed that is just ahead of the shotgun.

Damage is open for suggestion.

Upvote 0
The Ultimax would play like a Bullpup with iron sights and a clip that's twice as large, The M249 is a a more powerful version of the Ultimax, though lacking the grip, so you have to crouch to shoot as you're carrying it with the handle, and with a 200 round box mag, the Bren Gun has a 50 round clip, with a bullet somewhere between a SCAR and an M14EBR in power.

These weapons have a reload speed that is just ahead of the shotgun.

Damage is open for suggestion.

So a massively buffed commando?

Upvote 0
I think they can, I think it could be made to work, but I'm not very excited about it. I'd rather have the gunslinger, so if TW gets bored and have got RO expansion out, and have already done KF a couple of Zeds and a GS, and balance, then would be a good time to work on this perk

You already have the "gunslinger" its its called the sharpshooter.

Upvote 0
I think this perk could work well but as suggested it would take some balancing.

You'd need to limit the ammunition so it wouldn't dominate and as expected reloading a new ammo belt would take a while.

Others have said its too powerful but I don't think you are understanding or are over looking how important MOBILITY is in this game.

Power - Sure this perk would own lower zeds but what perk doesn't? In case you didn't know FPs have bullet resistence so this perk wouldn't be good against them anyways.

Mobility - Everyone complained about balance but starting on wave 2 Husks appear. As discussed above the Heavy Assault Perk cannot fire accurately with his tier 1 weapon (M60/M249) when moving or at all with the tier 2 (.50cal). The husk would be a HUGE pain for this perk because it cannot move well. I play commando, support, and sharpie mostly, all of whom have GREAT mobility, and on levels such as the FARM husks are a HUGE pain. It's like their fireballs are lazer guided. Plus they fire from distances that are so far away you can't even see them. If this perk was selected you'd be getting nailed from a husk that you cannot even see, thus depending on your teammates to help you out. Just like the zerker depends on his teammates to destroy sirens, husks, and crawlers. This is supposed to be a team game right?

So there is at least specimens (FP/Husk) this perk would have trouble dealing with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Speak for yourself! I want it, scar clearly wants it.
I mean that to balance it, the perk could not be what you are expecting/ asking for.

@Scarface
The biggest reason most teams wipe, assuming you have a mildly competent sharpshooter, is getting mobbed. The best perk for dealing with mobs is arguably the firebug. The big issue is no decent secondary weapon, little ammo, and damage over time considerations in a fast paced game. While the Heavy Perk would probably not have a secondary weapon, he would likely have lots of ammo (considering you can't hunt for ammo and have no secondary) and deal direct obvious damage.

While on maps like farm it would be a questionable choice, a map like biotics lab or any map with a long hallway would likely be god mode for the team. Two sharps, two Heavies, two commandos and you basically win.

Upvote 0
You already have the "gunslinger" its its called the sharpshooter.

I HATE when people say that. Handguns play completely differently from what a sharpshooter is supposed to. Just THINK:

1. Handguns are NOT accurate, and all other SS weapons are dead accurate.

2. Sharpshooters have aiming "assists": LAR has a greater zoom, and a better ironsight, Xbow has a friggin SCOPE, M14 has a laser sight, and it's ironsight is similar to LAR. Handguns have quite intrusive ironsights, and akimbo-wielding has NONE.

3. The gunslinger perk suggestion has NO headshot bonus. And is quite an original perk idea.

PS: I'm not sure if there's a punishment for double posting, but ScarFace... you TRIPLE posted.

PPS: If you want to say anything about the GS perk, say it on it's thread. Not on another thread.

Well, sorry for the rant. Ontopic now:

I'm against a "Heavy weapons" perk. While you would use heavy machineguns in a RL zombie apocalypse (as long as you have the time to set up and can hold the position) it would completely break the game. As some stated, if you have six players using heavy machineguns, there's no way you will be overran, unless someone there EPICALLY fails.

That, and I don't like machineguns :3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eh..

I dont rly know what to think about this one. The first thing that comes in mind is OVERPOWERED, because if you have a few of these guys, they set up their awesome machine guns and just camp in some corner, NOTHING gets through, ever.

But on the other hand.. if this perk was very expensive, very slow, hard to move around with, it might not be as overpowered. You could hold off one position for a while very effectively, but if you suddenly had to escape youd be screwed.

Hmm.. overall, I think this perk would be way too problematic and wouldnt work out. Unless TWI could figure out some amazing way of balancing it out so you cant do like "all heavy weapons perk" team and create unpenetratable barrier that lasts the whole wave.

Upvote 0
I'm still not excited about this perk. to balance it I see suggestions of limiting the ammo (like the firebug) and/or limiting mobility. I think these can balance the perk, but i think it would be fest ot famine. Either you and dominatin every thing, or you are useless. If you run out of ammo, and the team is falling back to reload their guns, then you have to abandon you weapon, and have only a 9 till you can get back to your weapon. also I don't know the rate of fire on these, but if we are talking about 100 or 200 bullets on this, I don't think it would last long, and since these are going to be heavy guns (to prevent a SS from having one and a Xbow, or M14)the HW is back down to a 9mm. When I read the idea I got real excited, but I can't see it working well

Upvote 0
As I had nothing else to do, I decided to crunch some numbers.
Comparing the blocks to the weight of the real gun with the Handcannon, Bullpup, AK-47 SU, M79, M32, MP7, SCAR MK17 and L.A.W 80, the avarage block weight is about 0.633Kg, 15 block being 9.5KG

Speed attribute is completely random, with 70% being 120RPM (M32) and 83% being 600RPM (AK-47 SU)

Code:
The Ultimax - Tier 1
Weight - 4,9KG = 3 (average), 6/7(bullpup 4,46kg/6blk)
Speed - 650-1000RPM = 90-100 (SCARMK17 600RPM/87spd)
Magazine = 30 magazine/100 Drum
Prize = Production stopped 1982, 80000 units built

M249 - Tier 2
Weight - 7,5Kg/10KG = 5/7 (average), 10/15(LAW 10kg/15blk)
Speed - 750-1000RPM = 95-100
Magazine = 30 magazine/??? BeltBox
Prize = 2550

Upvote 0
I agree with others that it would break the game due to being overpowered once set up. It would also promote camping, which everyone does, but it's fun to be able to change positions on the fly in emergencies. It's also too much like the Commando, since automatic weapons are his forte.

The only way to balance it while maintaining its machine-gun like stats is to require another player to assist the heavy man by feeding the gun, but fat chance finding anyone willing to sit out every round and not level their perks. I don't think modern belt-fed LMG's require 2-man teams anyway.

Upvote 0
I HATE when people say that. Handguns play completely differently from what a sharpshooter is supposed to. Just THINK:

1. Handguns are NOT accurate, and all other SS weapons are dead accurate.

2. Sharpshooters have aiming "assists": LAR has a greater zoom, and a better ironsight, Xbow has a friggin SCOPE, M14 has a laser sight, and it's ironsight is similar to LAR. Handguns have quite intrusive ironsights, and akimbo-wielding has NONE.

3. The gunslinger perk suggestion has NO headshot bonus. And is quite an original perk idea.

PS: I'm not sure if there's a punishment for double posting, but ScarFace... you TRIPLE posted.

PPS: If you want to say anything about the GS perk, say it on it's thread. Not on another thread.

Well, sorry for the rant. Ontopic now:

I'm against a "Heavy weapons" perk. While you would use heavy machineguns in a RL zombie apocalypse (as long as you have the time to set up and can hold the position) it would completely break the game. As some stated, if you have six players using heavy machineguns, there's no way you will be overran, unless someone there EPICALLY fails.

That, and I don't like machineguns :3

The 9mm has one of the best iron sights in the game. Bar NONE!!

Upvote 0