• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF refuses to enter a resolution it detects as unsupported

lx45803

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 6, 2010
tl;dr version at the end.

It is almost impossible to specify a resolution not natively supported by your monitor. For example, my 1920x1080 monitor doesn't report 720p capability, even though it can display it. This makes recording gameplay footage and such at 720p, eg, for YouTube HD, almost impossible.

Setting the resolution from the display settings does not work, as 1280x720 is not listed.
Setting the resolution from the killingfloor.ini file does not work, the game goes to the closest compatible resolution, 1280x960, and changes the .ini back to reflect this. No, setting it as read-only doesn't help.
Setting the resolution in-game from the console with 'setres 1280x720' does not work, the game just goes to 1280x960.

The only way I found to get what I wanted was to manually add the resolution to the nVidia Control Panel, switch to it (which messed up my desktop icons :mad:), then play KF fullscreen.

Going through all this was quite unpleasant, and I'm considering just trashing the footage I recorded, as I don't really like the game enough to want to share it with other people anymore. I mean, for the love of god, setting a screen resolution shouldn't be this hard! If someone is specifically trying to set a resolution from the console, don't do any error-checking, just do it! Trying to protect the users from themselves is all well and good, but you're taking it too far when it starts getting in the way of usability.
</rant>

Anyways, to summarize: KF won't let you specify arbitrary resolutions. This is bad.

Re: KF refuses to enter a resolution it detects as unsupported

Setting the resolution in-game from the console with 'setres 1280x720' does not work, the game just goes to 1280x960.
:mad:

It is not the game's fault when your system isn't reporting the supported resolutions.

No, but it would be nice if the game would let you override what it thinks is best, because it's not always right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kf itself does support 1280x720 i've ran it myself at that resolution just fine for videos that i've made. While my desktop resolution was something else.

I believe KF simply reads the resolutions windows makes available by default in the selection screen. And typing in setres 1280x720 should at the least do something if done in the console, if you get a black screen then your refreshrate was changed to something your monitor doesnt support.

Upvote 0
Kf itself does support 1280x720 i've ran it myself at that resolution just fine for videos that i've made. While my desktop resolution was something else.

I believe KF simply reads the resolutions windows makes available by default in the selection screen. And typing in setres 1280x720 should at the least do something if done in the console, if you get a black screen then your refreshrate was changed to something your monitor doesnt support.

I know it can actually support 720, I confirmed that in my first post.

Typing 'setres 1280x720' does do something, it sets the resolution to 1280x960 just like I said in my first post.

Doesn't anyone here read? :( All I'm asking for is a checkbox in the display settings, or maybe just a setting in killingfloor.ini that will let you specify any resolution you want without checking to see if the monitor supports it. Remember, Flexibility Is Good.

Upvote 0