• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Charging Specimen.

Shambler

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
I find that unless your getting overwhelmed or mashed by a Fleashpound, the most common way you take damage is by either crawlers or stalkers.

There fast and difficult to see unless your paying close attention but they go down very easy and so are generally not a problem. the speed means they get on your back and you have to react quickly to avoid taking a hit.

So how about a very fast Specimen. It could have a big pointy head which is rears down to charge a player with at a speed twice as fast as a player running with a knife. This would work like the fleashpounds rage I suppose, but a much shorter warm up and less obvious, when not charging it moves as fast as a normal specimen. It would have to be quite weak so that it doesn't become a problem if you see it coming, about as strong a clot, but could also be able to charge from behind a group of other specimens, moving them aside as it charges through making it harder to see coming and giving any camping players a nasty jump. Would have to be quite short so you would have trouble spotting it in a mob, perhaps walking on all fours or hunched over... or maybe hunched walking, on all fours when charging. It would have to be shorter than a clot when charging so you are forced to aim down at charging one.

I came up with most of this while writing so sorry if it waffles a bit.

Thought I might as well add a idea, so hear it is. Feel free to rip it apart.

I wasn't going for something that disables a player, it wouldn't work in killing floor, just something that would add a few more "OH ****" moments. Taking a bit a skill to prevent a hit and making sure your paying full attention. Kinda like a melee version of a husk... if that makes any sense.

Upvote 0
You mean something that can't get gunned down easily.

Usually most teams can hold a place until a fleshpound comes, but someone is there with the AA12 or some sharpy is crouched in the corner for the Fleshies and scrakes.
Having this guy run past everything else in a splitsecond making it almost impossible to headshot and hard to hit would be awesome and the perfect addition.

Upvote 0
Packs of gorefasts generate more than enough 'oh ****' moments on suicidal.
They move as fast as you with a knife! No need for something even faster.

It couldn't be nearly as common as a gorefast, a pack would probably be a bit unfair. Just a few scattered amongst a wave, shooting towards you from behind a pack of clots. Maybe only be able to get one good hit from the charge before being stuck in a cool down making it unlikely to rip you to shreds without you noticing it...

Upvote 0
Horns would be fine.

I've posted about the bull/dog zed a few different times, although my idea is it always runs fast. the difficulty here is making sure it doesn't get stuck behind a group of zeds in a hallway, although even this might not be bad since it could pop out and charge the team after the zeds in front of it get killed. Knocking zeds out of the way would also be interesting but require extra programming.

The zed should be fairly tough like a husk, spawn about as often and knock players back 10 or 20 feet when it rams them. Nothing too crazy, but spreading a team out would be a great gameplay addition and mix things up nicely. It should be able to charge in a straight line and turn slightly, potentially knocking several players around before running into a wall and turning around. The bulls in Serious Sam are an inspiration here, as well as the pinky demon from Doom 3.

The game needs more oh sh*t moments to add fun and difficulty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0