• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Commando Tweak?

No Glory

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
BC, Canada
THis may or may not have been dicussed before, But in an effort to make commando a little more useful on Hard and Suicidal, what about giving the commando the ability to "Laze" a target?
Lazed targets would recieve __% more damage up to a max of 10 from allies and allies can see their health. (Based on lvl of commando.) The "laze" could be a secondary function to bullpup/scar/ak47 specific only to commandos. (Kind of like fire nades to Firebugs)

Also, what about giving the firebug molotovs?

-No Glory

PLZ comment! I'd like to know what you think :) (Even hatemail)

Last edited:
Never say:
PLZ comment!
We will if we want to.

Also, what about giving the firebug molotovs?
Lv3 firebug grenades are approximately molotovs. Besides, no one want to encroach on l4d stuff.

Commando is hardly an issue. SCAR owns, if not AK. If you are having issues as a commando on higher difficulties then you should level and/or play longer before switching up again.

Upvote 0
The only thing I would change about Commando is the damned "Kill 3 billion stalkers to level up" LOL... Its a pain, Im level 3 commando I think, while every other perk is lvl 6 apart from support. On 6 man games you hardly ever kill Stalkers because someone else steals them, and solo game is just BORING when you are playing it just to kill those 30 Stalkers that spawn during 10 waves.

Bleh, just saying dont take it seriously.

Anyway, I agree with Nanostrike, it wouldnt hurt if you could see the health further away, or even cloaked Stalkers.

Btw one kinda off-topic question, can commando somehow mark the Patriarch so his team can see him while cloaked..? Because, Ive never been able to see the Patty no matter how many commandos we have in our team, but like 2 days ago I was playing with my brother who was a commando and I was a demo, I was able to see the cloaked Patriarch for a few seconds (he appeared as red such as Stalkers do). Was it a bug or can your team members actually see him somehow?

Upvote 0
The only thing I would change about Commando is the damned "Kill 3 billion stalkers to level up" LOL... Its a pain, Im level 3 commando I think, while every other perk is lvl 6 apart from support. On 6 man games you hardly ever kill Stalkers because someone else steals them, and solo game is just BORING when you are playing it just to kill those 30 Stalkers that spawn during 10 waves.

Bleh, just saying dont take it seriously.

Anyway, I agree with Nanostrike, it wouldnt hurt if you could see the health further away, or even cloaked Stalkers.

Btw one kinda off-topic question, can commando somehow mark the Patriarch so his team can see him while cloaked..? Because, Ive never been able to see the Patty no matter how many commandos we have in our team, but like 2 days ago I was playing with my brother who was a commando and I was a demo, I was able to see the cloaked Patriarch for a few seconds (he appeared as red such as Stalkers do). Was it a bug or can your team members actually see him somehow?

Being able to "Mark" cloaked units would be interesting. Not sure how it'd work. Maybe simply shooting them would make them glow red for a short while (5-10 seconds). Mind you, it'd simply kill Stalkers, but it'd help with the Patriarch. Not to mention help YOU track things that run out of the measly 16m cloak detect range.

Or expand it more and have it reveal the health of anything shot for 5-10 seconds. It'd allow you to "tag" FPs/Scrakes/Patty to see health. And if you make it for everyone, even you, regardless of range, it becomes suddenly useful...

Upvote 0
Being able to "Mark" cloaked units would be interesting. Not sure how it'd work. Maybe simply shooting them would make them glow red for a short while (5-10 seconds). Mind you, it'd simply kill Stalkers, but it'd help with the Patriarch. Not to mention help YOU track things that run out of the measly 16m cloak detect range.

Or expand it more and have it reveal the health of anything shot for 5-10 seconds. It'd allow you to "tag" FPs/Scrakes/Patty to see health. And if you make it for everyone, even you, regardless of range, it becomes suddenly useful...

The was my inital hope with the Lzing ability, read above ^

Upvote 0
The only thing I would change about Commando is the damned "Kill 3 billion stalkers to level up"

Btw one kinda off-topic question, can commando somehow mark the Patriarch so his team can see him while cloaked..?
I actually have more stalkers, percentage-wise, than damage but I usually don't play commando.

In the mod they were just reveled when within the commando's radius but I think that it revels based on proximity of you to commado and commando to enemy and it just so happens that a players is in such a place very rarely. Or it's just a bug.

Upvote 0
In the mod they were just reveled when within the commando's radius but I think that it revels based on proximity of you to commado and commando to enemy and it just so happens that a players is in such a place very rarely. Or it's just a bug.

I actually forgot about this until it happened again today, while playing with my brother. He was a lvl 6 command, I support, and once the Patty cloaked and attacked towards my brother I was able to see him.

It in fact happened when I was very close to my brother, and the Patriarch. So I guess when ever both you and the cloaked enemy is inside the radius they will be marked o_O

Upvote 0

It doesn't make sense to show the whole team the health of a zed. The commando presumably has a keen eye and lots of military experience to help him determine the health of a specimen. Magically showing this to others is very contrived.

When it comes to revealing cloaked zeds, the Firebug does that already.

Upvote 0
Wait wait, just read this topic, and quite frankly, I think commando need to be tweak.

Why?

Because sharpshooter use commando weapons (bullpup/scar to be specific) just as good as commando. And they use xbow/m14/etc better than commando!

Bullpup and scar are headshot machine, I can pop the head about 95%+ using those. And at lv 6 sharpshooter have 50% more headshot damage, and headshot normally does a bit extra damage. So basically a sharpshooter use bullpup/scar can do more damage than a commando.

And the recoil isnt that annoying, since the first shoot always hit.

Faster reloading is a plus, but other than that, sharpshooter use commando weapon just as good as a commando.

Aint that unfair?

Upvote 0
Don't touch commando -_-

no no, hold on a second, this general idea is fairly good. giving some perks the ability to help others, its the same idea as a medic healing others, it encourages teamwork ( or atleast some level of cohesion ).

on this reguard, i was thinking that stalkers should become completely invisible. (no stupid shade) so that a commando is necessary, that and stalkers are so easy to see as is.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but not fully, more invisible if they can but not completely.
Because, well, they suck when they are fully invisible, you'll be getting attacked out of nowhere.

However, how about making them invisible and having footsteps appear and fade away quickly on the floor.
Seeing footprints appear out of nowhere oughta scare the **** out of some players.

Upvote 0