• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Individual reinforcements

Exactly that 3 people can ruin the entire teams reinf things happens in bf2 as well because its the same open system. It doesnt happen in systems using personal reinforcements, as if someone is a bastard he simply use his own reinforcements rather than the teams. Meaning that 3 bastards cannot force an entire team to fall to its doom.

Do you really think that players generally follow the commanders markers? When you are typing or speaking through your mic do you really think that everybody even knows what class you are playing at when you type something out?

I'm all for making the squadleader more powerfull but atm, in reality in gameplay he is nothing more than a dude with a smg, smokenades and artillery. With the smoke you can direct where people go. With the artillery you can direct where people go. But for the rest hes just a regular soldier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you just started to understand.
SURE it will solve the problem. You know why?
Because it is working in other games. Not depending if they are arcade and you don't like them.

I don't like them just because of their acade-like gameplay, I also don't like them because of similar features you wish to put in this game which I have noticed in said games, they don't work. The same type of people still exist in those games and these features just add more problems to the game then they solve and make the games even more unenjoyable.

I already completely understand what you guys are suggesting and wanting, and I still do not agree with it.

You claim it works in these games through your experience.... my experience says otherwise.

Answer: Balance.

Which this will not solve and only sway the balance to more campers and less capping.

Why? Its not in other games. Why it should be in RO? Why people should be scared to be killed in a computer game?

Why should they be scared? Isn't that you whole argument for having this system in place? To scare players towards dying in a manner that won't allow them to play any longer in the match and just sit there with their thumb up their arse until they round ends?

I'm not scared of dying in the game, nor am I scared of having to wait 30 minutes or so until I can play again...... I Hate it. And if something in a game that I hate occurs in just about every round I'll play, then I'll end up hating the game and no longer play it.

They key is that I paid for a game that I want to play & enjoy and I do not like having chunks of my game playing time taking up doing nothing but just watching other people play..... or worse, just looking at a blank screen.

I'm sure that if I'm good at the game this won't be much of an issue for me, but I'm thinking more about other players in general, mainly new players.... not just myself.

You are making assumptions, like the one, who did not play other games. It also looks, like you just don't like to wait for respawn and trying to find excuses for it. Like 'people will camp'.

I am not making any assumptions because I know what generally happens when I take command and explained what happens as such.

What is an assumption is your guy's idea that this system will work perfectly fine in this game because you think it works well in other games, which the ones listed that I have played, did not and you will not know for sure if this will work in RO decently until it's attempted, thus Assumption.

And you're right, I don't like waiting for respawns, which is why I try not to die, thus the game already has an element that ensures I try and play my best. But I deal with the current system and think it's a decent balance for everybody, for people like you and for people like myself.

I am not making any excuses for anything, as I am only using examples you and other members in here brought up to support your assumptions of what might happen.

I don't mind waiting 5 seconds, 10 seconds, even up to 20 seconds to spawn, but anything more is a waste of my time and takes the enjoyment out of the game..... and to include a system that would remove you out of the game until the end of the round because you were unlucky or still trying to figure out a map, is over the line for me and any game like that will not get my money.

It's not an excuse, it's reality.... do this, and I will not buy the game.

One person not buying the game is one thing, big whoop..... but as you seen in this thread already, I am not alone.

You can use chat and voice communication. This is enough for communication. People are not communicating because it is not necessary.

People are not communicating because it's not necessary?? :eek:

And you guys complain I don't know anything about the game?

Geez, no wonder why you guys are taking this route with this idea.

So you don't think it's important to relay information and communicate with your team to gain organization and winning the map, along with reducing your casualties? And you also wonder why nobody plays the game "Right" when you yourself are not playing it anymore right then they are?

Let's play with this idea for a bit shall we?

• You complain that people are running all over the place
• Doing their own thing
• Not following other team mates
• Constantly getting killed and knocking down your reinforcements
• Losing the game

Now exactly how do you expect players to follow other players without communicating what the plan is?

Who follows who if nobody says where they're going? Are you supposed to just pick some random joe blow and follow them and hope they know what they're doing? What if they decide to follow you?

Doing their own thing? Well if nobody tells them what the plan is and everybody is running off to go do their own thing, what what do you expect them to do, read your mind? :confused:

Constantly getting killed and knocking down your reinforcements?

Well if nobody is communicating to them where the MG is located, or where the sniper is, or if you plan to drop arty at a paticular location, or a mass of troops are coming from whatever direction and they have to wing it on their own..... exactly what else do you expect to happen?

And you think this individual reinforcement idea will suddenly solve all these problems?

It won't because still nobody will be communicating to them what's going on, they're still going to die as much as before, and now on top of all this, they'll be punished to sit out the rest of the game, because some people don't think communicating with your team is important. :rolleyes:

See the difference with BF2 and other similar games and why such a system "Seems" to work, is because they have better communication abilities in the game. The commander has more options to select on the map, they can co-ordinate faster, better and more dynamically then in RO with the Commander HUD.... as well the squad leaders have their own set of sub commands they can use for their squads, thus better communication, better gameplay.

The spawn points in BF2 and how they wind down has never changed my view on how I play the game and anybody else I seen get affected by it started playing more frantically, rather then cautiously.... the opposite of what you want I believe.

In RO, the communication abilities are far more limited and there's more work involved, but communication is a very important part of the gameplay none the less and talking to your team mates, helping them out, and vice versa can do a heck of a lot more good then harm in the overall gameplay.

The problem is that you can't easily compare RO and it's game style to something like BF2 or Counter Strike because they're completely different and use completely different features that help out other things in the game.

I never heard anybody complain in BF2 about low respawns and such, because just as in that game as in RO3.3, running out of respawns rarely occured on a map unless all cap zones are controlled by the other team. One thing I did notice about BF2 that I thought was good was it's level of communication in game..... and to me, that is exactly why there is more co-ordination in the game. You can easily point out enemies using your quick communication buttons, you can call in vehicles, arty, supplies, and UAV's help spot enemies, thus overall, you have a better understanding on what all is going on in the game.

In RO, you need to rely on your own player's senses in the game of what you see & hear and old fashion talking to your team mates.

And if you don't think it's important, then that's exactly where you fail in the game, because it's the core foundation to a good team working together in real life & in game play, and you honestly have nobody else to blame for how your game turns out but yourself.

But then again, what do I know? :p

Exactly that 3 people can ruin the entire teams reinf things happens in bf2 as well because its the same open system. It doesnt happen in systems using personal reinforcements, as if someone is a bastard he simply use his own reinforcements rather than the teams. Meaning that 3 bastards cannot force an entire team to fall to its doom.

I can't say I ever had that happen at anytime playing RO. Two or three people were not that big of a difference and if they were, I'd goto another server.

But your argument shows more selfishness towards your team then it shows you actually caring about the team, since you no longer want to be affected by what happens to your team mates, thus more of a detachment.

Do you really think that players generally follow the commanders markers? When you are typing or speaking through your mic do you really think that everybody even knows what class you are playing at when you type something out?

Sure do, because it works more often then not based on personal, first hand experience. I bombard my team with commands and information via commands or text, and will usually not use voice unless it's important, so that I don't drown out my team's ability to hear around them, thus put more risk to them.

I can't remember the name of the map I played last night (Still getting used to the new variety) but it was the one at night where you gotta clear the barb wire and eventually move to the bridge cap against the Russians. For the first 7 minutes of the match I just played some standard class and noticed there was no commander and everybody was just picking their spots to camp out and pick people off, not really moving forward and capping the final two objectives..... those that tried, a whole three people, were continually killed.

So I got bored of this and took command and started dishing out commands and where to head. Within 3 minutes of doing this and getting the 2nd last cap, just about everybody I saw playing on my team were all on board and after two attempts at taking the bridge, we took it.... and then on the second round, it was like one big machine working together and we mopped the floor with the Russians in what I'd have to say was record time.

The reason why this worked and the reason why it worked so well was because we as a team were co-ordinated and had a plan..... the Russians were all over the place and didn't seem to be communicating with one another, thus they were a sinch to control and roll right over with little effort.

I know it works because I do it all the time.

I'm all for making the squadleader more powerfull but atm, in reality in gameplay he is nothing more than a dude with a smg, smokenades and artillery. With the smoke you can direct where people go. With the artillery you can direct where people go. But for the rest hes just a regular soldier.

Indeed you're correct for the most part, but it's not just the class, it's what you do with that class. The plans and how you command your team doesn't completely come from the class, it comes from your brain and your own tactics.... but the tools given to the commander give you that much more umph with what you're doing, compared to say a rifleman, and generally speaking, other players take the commander more seriously.

And it also doesn't hurt to give your team mates a "gj" or some other compliment when they actually do something you requested and do it right. When my team mates took an objective or took out some joker sniper somewhere that's been causing problems, I usually tell the guy(s) who did it that they did a good job and keep it up.

Sounds silly, but you'd be suprised how much of a difference it makes in the game.

Just as a test, next time you're playing, give it a shot. Take command and set up a plan for your team. Give them a couple of minutes to get their crap together, help them figure out where enemies are (heck mark the important/high concentration enemy locations with a rally point that the whole team can see) and after two captured points on the map, just stop for a second and look around you and see how the team functions.

Is it better, worse or the same?

I'd be very interested in seeing your findings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cpt-Praxius,

For your previous post that sets a new record with 2236 words (5 page single spaced essay in Word), I dub thee Amatuer Forum Novelist #0142.

You should be very proud of this accomplishment and we all look forward to many more well thought out posts in these forums.

Thank you good sir!

:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think for us to discuss this point further is getting somewhat useless. As on base things such as the existence of the problem we are already disagreeing.

So lets end it with saying we agree to disagree.

(and oh boy do i have an urge to actually respond :p)

---
My findings with motivating the team and playing with them and seeing other people try to do the same for the last 5 years, is that its a wasted effort generally. For me teamwork starts by caring for your other teammates to succeed, and that for me that is missing with most people. You feel different, and that is ok, but for me the entire public gameplay feels empty and shallow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cpt-Praxius,

For your previous post that sets a new record with 2236 words (5 page single spaced essay in Word), I dub thee Amatuer Forum Novelist #0142.

You should be very proud of this accomplishment and we all look forward to many more well thought out posts in these forums.

Thank you good sir!

:D

I guess you don't remember my long posts in the old forums :cool:

I think for us to discuss this point further is getting somewhat useless. As on base things such as the existence of the problem we are already disagreeing.

So lets end it with saying we agree to disagree.

(and oh boy do i have an urge to actually respond :p)

No worries, I kinda figured we'd come to an impass anyways and we are kinda recycling the same arguments.

---
My findings with motivating the team and playing with them and seeing other people try to do the same for the last 5 years, is that its a wasted effort generally. For me teamwork starts by caring for your other teammates to succeed, and that for me that is missing with most people. You feel different, and that is ok, but for me the entire public gameplay feels empty and shallow.

Well I guess you and I will have to lead by example then ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm afraid I heartily disagree :(

1. Life over objectives - if they had the option of losing a precious reinforcement point and capturing an objective ...
2. Inevitability, there will always end up being at least one team with half the the players dead and half the players alive since not everybody dies equally. Probably ending up with tons of support players left and all of the people who were trying to capture the points dead and spectating.
3. Fear of points, not death. Players would not fear death so much as fearing running out of points and be left waiting for ages for the round to end.
4. Teamwork would be gutted, everyone would be out for themselves and be over-cautious. ''you first ...'' - ''no I insist, you first''

Cpt-Praxius, great post man :) I could probably have just quoted everything you said.

A solution? Simple.

Longer respawns and better communication. Say, average of 20 second spawns and as Cpt-Praxius said, squads and commanders. America's Army 3 works well because of the system, though it is too frantic and small-scale to really work as well as it would in RO.

Upvote 0