• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New free weekend needed.

smilin

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Tripwire:

You want more customers and we want more community members. Can we get another free weekend arranged with Valve?

I would suggest we announce it earlier this time. The last time servers got swamped so we need some lead time to get additional ones up. If possible I would also suggest Tripwire rent a stack of them for the weekend. Mostly beginner/normal servers.

I'm not sure I understand- are you asking if the server guys really want people to play on their servers?

When I search for servers online there are literally hundreds that are empty, if I use the not full and has people playing filters I find maybe 100 servers. I don't think another free weekend will be a problem.
Besides, there are listen servers.

Upvote 0
I don't mind new players I just hate "noobs", as in idiots who can't play and can't/won't learn to be better. Even more than that I hate the common sense failure that causes all these unskilled level 1-3 players to join suicidal servers.

I accept what you're saying about the community drying up but I just don't see that happening with KF right now. Yes I don't like eliteism either but I do think the best time to play a game is when the initial rush of players who look for quick cheap thrills burn out and you're left with a community of people who know what they're doing and play for love of the game. Yes one day the game will die out but that's the inevitable way all games turn out. Hopefully TWI will have put out KF2 by then.

Casing point look at L4D2 right now, it's full of the unwashed masses of immature stereotypical FPS jackasses like you see in halo.

I'm surprised you're surprised, if you had been on these forums at the time of the last free weekend you would have seen that the people who paid for the game almost universally hated the free weekend and were glad when it was over.

Upvote 0
well.... look at it like this. the more people it gets exposed to the higher possibillity of newer better updates. Plus revenue for TW. Now i don't know how the free weekend setup goes for a dev and steam or how many times they can do it. Perhaps this time they could just do a guest pass system.

Oh, and yes a heads up for the community would be a good idea so as to brace for the influx and maximize the amount servers. TWs been kinda quiet to the general and idea forums soooooo I hope that they are atleast still looking at the loyal base and all the hilarious ideas being thrown around.

Upvote 0
Well if the community is so against the idea of a free weekend because of the unskilled nublets that join the high difficulty games...why not try to push for "demo accounts" which until paid for, players could not play anything but the stock maps, could not use mutators, could not level beyond level 2 in perks, and could not play above normal difficulty? Maybe even lock them out of "tier 4" weapons?

Upvote 0
Well if the community is so against the idea of a free weekend because of the unskilled nublets that join the high difficulty games...why not try to push for "demo accounts" which until paid for, players could not play anything but the stock maps, could not use mutators, could not level beyond level 2 in perks, and could not play above normal difficulty? Maybe even lock them out of "tier 4" weapons?

I know. Just soo many roadblocks to getting a larger player pool. Need to build bridges not walls here. :cool:

Upvote 0

That sounds pretty reasonable but I don't see what use disallowing weapons like the SCAR, AA12, etc would be. Just seems cheap to me.

Also, why no mutators?

Upvote 0
That sounds pretty reasonable but I don't see what use disallowing weapons like the SCAR, AA12, etc would be. Just seems cheap to me.
Eh just thought about limiting ALL aspects of the game. One of the bad habits I got into when I first started the game was never picking up any guns until the tier 4...may as well prevent them from starting it eh?

edit:
Also, why no mutators?
Mutators like perk replacement would still allow them to gain access to the full game ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
edit:
Mutators like perk replacement would still allow them to gain access to the full game ;)

Oh, I was thinking of whitelisted mutators like Bloat-ed. If they can't level past 2 or 3 I don't think there'd be much harm in allowing "official" mutators. But yeah, allowing perk replacement and such would kind of defeat the purpose.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised you're surprised, if you had been on these forums at the time of the last free weekend you would have seen that the people who paid for the game almost universally hated the free weekend and were glad when it was over.

Oh trust me.. NOT happy during the free weekend mostly because of packed servers but I don't mind paying the price every once in a while to keep the game community alive. It also keeps money flowing into TW so they'll be inclined to do KF2 or more DLC.

I didn't mind doing it for just a couple days though and I actually had some good experiences with noobs. Some of them were so nooby ("what key is push to talk??") that they blindly followed directions of the veterans and ended up with an cohesive team that worked together.

Upvote 0